Pages : 1 [2] 3

kUrTp
Feb 12 2009, 05:01 PM
With all that lovely weather and all the big arm hyzer courses, I'm wondering how your back is dealing?

jef
Feb 13 2009, 09:04 PM
I was at the course today, and discovered that Wednesday nights storm blew over 3 trees across #17 fairway near the A pin. And except for the trees that have been down on #11 and #12 fairways, the course is intact.
I'm looking forward to a great turnout tomorrow for the Ice Bowl.

gotcha
Feb 19 2009, 09:29 AM
This Saturday (Feb 21) is the 2009 Fairmont Ice Bowl (http://www.wvdiscgolf.org/). Great courses, great people, great cause.

gotcha
Feb 24 2009, 10:03 AM
Deer Lakes Monthly is this Saturday, February 28.

Sid still has some Champion Boss and CFR Destroyers, but they're going fast! Get yours while the gettin's good! These discs sell for $20 each and amatuer players can redeem their monthly credits to purchase this hot-selling plastic! :)

kUrTp
Feb 25 2009, 12:23 PM
Someone might be coming out of retirement for this Deer Lakes Monthly. I guess you'll have to attend to find out who.

garydropcho
Feb 25 2009, 08:38 PM
I just picked up the March issue of Flying Disc Magazine at Barnes and Noble Booksellers in Cranberry. As you know, the PDGA no longer is sending this mag to its members. You can subscribe directly to FDM, but the new issue on the racks now.

I'd recommend calling your local Borders or Barnes and Noble to be sure they have it stocked. If they don't or are out of supply, ask them to carry it.

This issue is much broader in its scope of disc sports, with a too heavy (IMO) dose of disc dogs. Marcus was interested because there were some articles on Ultimate and some how-to pieces on disc golf. The Delaveaga course in Santa Cruz was featured as was hole 11 at Victory Park used at K-zoo Worlds in '08.

kUrTp
Mar 03 2009, 09:15 AM
So Speaker Bear is working at IUP all week and he calls me yesterday asking if I would like to join him for a quick 9 at Getty after work. Granted the weather wasn't to nice, probably 0 degrees with the wind chill. Regardless, we get to the last hole playing the white tee and Speaker SLAMS IT, ACE!!! A gentle turnover shot with an Avenger SS. I think he said that was his second career ace. Freezing my butt off was well worth watching that.

gotcha
Mar 05 2009, 07:23 AM
Lots of stuff going on this month, starting with the Knob Hill Monthly this Saturday, March 7.
Click here (http://www.pfds.org/eventcal/calendar.php) for more info on this month's calendar of events.

speakerbear
Mar 07 2009, 10:11 AM
It was actually a Z-XS, but you were right- only my 2nd ever.
I'm planning on getting the third at the Ironwood.

garydropcho
Mar 08 2009, 12:31 PM
Congrats Mikey! All aces are great shots and what a thrill to see and hear those chains ring, eh? But at 250', that you must really have needed to muscle that Z-XS DRIVER to get your tee shot anywhere near the pin. Methinks you needed MORE disc on that monster Getty layout... maybe a flippy Destroyer or Force would have been easier on your arm :)

speakerbear
Mar 08 2009, 02:58 PM
You know us old guys, we just don't have the arm we used to. Don't forget about the dead 0 degree air, major crosswind, and it was probably only my 2nd or 3rd round ever at Getty. Also, for some reason there are no tee signs with the distances of the holes. One just has to guess how far they are-if only I knew who put this course in? Just messin with ya, it definately was just a controlled partial power turnover shot. Still a great feeling whenever it happens. I am still trying to teach my Jaguars to jump up in the basket, but they aren't listening yet.

gotcha
Mar 10 2009, 10:33 AM
I'm sure most of you know what's going on at Deer Lakes this weekend, but just in case you don't:

Saturday, March 14 ~ Deer Lakes Monthly (10:00 am Start)

After lunch, let the Tee Party (http://discussion.pdga.com/msgboard/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=909243&Main=797105#Post9 09243) begin! :D

And the party will continue on Sunday, March 15....

Let's Get R Done...

cholly
Mar 10 2009, 07:45 PM
can anyone tell my which courses will be used for the USDGC qualifier this August? Also, will they use the regular layout or modified versions?

Thanks.

Disc golf in Louisville, KY

kUrTp
Mar 10 2009, 09:31 PM
The Pittsburgh Flying Disc Open will be a qualifier for the USDGC. The courses used for this tournament will be Knob Hill in Warrendale and Moraine State Park in Portersville. More information about this tournament will follow later in the year.

gotcha
Mar 18 2009, 09:02 AM
The Moraine Monthly is this Saturday (3/21) and it will be a mixer! The forecast is calling for a sunny day with a high around 50 degrees so the weather is going to be nice for a round of disc golf. This week we moved a lot of the baskets into different locations.....some shorter, some longer....a good variety overall. Should be a lot of fun! 10:00 a.m. start.

We are asking for players to stick around after the event/lunch and help clean up the course in preparation for next month's tournaments: the Lakeview Course Championship (4/11) and the Ironwood Open (4/18-19).

Our main focus will be the debris removal on holes 9 & 18. We will have chainsaws to cut up the trees, but we need folks to help drag the cuttings away from the fairway. It shouldn't take very long if we have folks available to lend a hand. Also, Josh Arnette (the PFDS Mule) spent a lot of time raking hole 12 and it looks great, but we need to remove the leaf piles from that hole. I will bring a tarp and a couple of rakes so we can clean up this hole.

Lastly, players will notice orange tape throughout the course as we have identified items we would like removed (low branches, dead trees, olive bushes, etc). Myself the the Butler boys will work on these prunings and cuttings over the next couple of weeks. Most of these markings are on the existing fairways and greens, however, you will notice some areas tagged and flagged which are not part of the present-day greens. These are proposed sites for additional pin placements. The holes marked for additional pin placements include: 2, 4, 8, 10, 14, 16, 18.

Don't let volunteer work discourage you from attending this Saturday's Moraine Monthly. If you can't work, but you can play, we want you anyway! :)

kUrTp
Mar 20 2009, 09:43 AM
So, Alanna recorded her first Tournament ACE on Saturday during the Crawdad Cooker in Camp Hill, PA. She would have won $120 but someone else aced his last hole of the tourney to claim half of the ace pot.

Way To Go Laners :D

She struck again yesterday during our after work round at Getty. The funny part is she said right before she threw, "this hole is about the same length as the hole I aced in Camp Hill." Then, what do you know...BAM, off a little branch and dead center in the chains. Hole #7 red tee, sign is gone but it's probably 180 feet and she used the same disc as the one in Camp Hill.

gotcha
Mar 20 2009, 09:50 AM
Unlike Camp Hill, Stella wasn't checking out her ace from behind.... :D

gotcha
Mar 20 2009, 01:15 PM
J Gary and I had an excellent meeting with Moraine's park manager, Dan Bickel. Not only is Dan a big supporter of disc golf, he plays the game himself! After playing Lakeview last fall, Dan said he now understands why this course receives the accolades it does! This will definitely be the year for major enhancements / improvements to the existing Lakeview course. Details will follow once the park staff is able to focus on improvement efforts toward disc golf at MSP.

Following our meeting, we ventured out to the course to play the back nine. We marked additional trees / olives for removal and, hopefully, the park maintenance crew will be able to go through the course today, cutting up debris we have flagged for removal. As a reminder, we are asking for volunteers to stick around after tomorrow's monthly in effort to clean up the course in advance of April's events.

We did notice that the remaining leaves on hole 12 have been completely removed. Although this looks fantastic and you're going to be blown away by how nice it is, the park is concerned about removal of leaves and pine straw which will eventually lead to hillside erosion. That said, going forward we must refrain from raking additional wooded holes. Raking leaves from grass fairways is not a problem, we simply cannot rake leaves to expose dirt. It is entirely okay to remove fallen branches, limbs, etc. which is still needed on holes 2, 13, 17 and 18.

A few more pins were moved this week so here is the layout we will be playing during tomorrow's Moraine Monthly:

1c 2c 3a 4c 5c 6a 7a 8c 9b 10a 11b 12b 13b 14c 15b 16b 17c 18b

Hope to see you folks there! Don't forget to bring work gloves.... :)

sandalbagger
Mar 20 2009, 07:52 PM
18 will be back at C if I get there before the rest of you. I just can't stand those other 2 locations. They just look ugly. We really need to get in the NEW pins for this hole.

Jeff_LaG
Mar 20 2009, 08:42 PM
18 will be back at C if I get there before the rest of you. I just can't stand those other 2 locations. They just look ugly. We really need to get in the NEW pins for this hole.

I think I've only ever seen the C pin location on this hole - just short of the opening in the woods out to the parking lot, perched above the creek.

Where are the A & B pins? Closer to the creek/embankment halfway down the fairway?

SCOTT
Mar 20 2009, 09:16 PM

Thanks for the heads up Chris, I'm on my way out now to change the lock. LOL I'm tired of blowing by C and going OB! Ugly position or not, nothing is as ugly as cresting that last hump to see I rolled OB. Played after work today and enjoyed the set. Good job Jerry & Jim! See you all at the mixer tomorrow.

sandalbagger
Mar 21 2009, 09:12 AM
Jeff short pins are about 40 feet shorter and tucked into the left and right woods. Can't see them from the tee. Makes for an easy eagle chance.

The new pins will both be farther then the current C-pin.

Jeff_LaG
Mar 21 2009, 08:16 PM
Jeff short pins are about 40 feet shorter and tucked into the left and right woods. Can't see them from the tee. Makes for an easy eagle chance.

The new pins will both be farther then the current C-pin.

I knew that there was a temp 'D' pin position that was in line with the C pin but through the hole in the wood line. Nice to see that it's becoming permanent.

I agree that the short pins would make the hole an easy eagle chance from the white or blue tee. Heck, Jerry deuced it from the blue tee to 'C' pin. Because of the narrow tee shot, small landing area which includes OB, & high embankment blocking the approach, I still think the hole is a very good pro par four from the Gold tee.

gotcha
Mar 29 2009, 01:23 PM
From the desk of Scott Heintzleman:

April 1st is the first night of the Schenley Park Wednesday Night League for 2009!

6:00 start
$4 entry fee, $1 optional ace pot
The ace pot is currently $156. The ace pot payout is limited to $100 until a second $100 pot is achieved. Additional money beyond $200 goes back to the first payout.

Schenley League is a handicapped league with handicaps carrying over from last year.
For more information please visit:
http://web.mac.com/scotth2/SPDGL/Home.html

Hope to see you there!

gotcha
Apr 03 2009, 09:18 AM
Wow! I can't believe how quickly time flies! This Saturday (4/4) is the Knob Monthly......the following Saturday (4/11) is the Lakeview Course Championship (http://discussion.pdga.com/msgboard/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=912272&an=0&page=0#Post9 12272)......and the following weekend is the Ironwood Open!

Kudos to the folks who have pitched in and helped clean/prep the Lakeview course at Moraine. We still need to inspect the OB robe on the course to ensure it is visible and not broken in any places. The Butler boys have told me they can help me with that one evening next week. What we do need are volunteers to help clear downed branches on the following holes:

Hole 2 Both sides of the fairway as well as across the creek on the green-side. The first portion of the hole is cleared of debris on both sides (btw.....the woodpile left of the blue tee and the woodpile right of the gold tee are mine, baby! I worked about 1 hour on Monday evening and 2 hours on Wednesday evening). There are two large trees which fell across the creek and we have those flagged to be cut up by park crew. If and when the park staff does that job, we will need to pile the debris neatly off the fairway.

Hole 6 The large pine tree which fell into the right side of the fairway this past winter was cleared and pulled to the side by Dave Wagner and some of the Butler boys. Thanks guys! We've flagged the remainder to be cut up by the park crew which we will need to clear from the side of the fairway. In addition, the left side of hole 6, especially mid-fairway to the green, needs to be cleared of the branches and debris which has collected over the years.

Hole 16 The pine trees along the hillside of this hole have dropped a lot of branches over the winter season and the debris simply needs to be cleared.....not only because players will no doubt land in some of these areas during the tournament(s), but because it simply looks better.

If you can spare time to help clear some of these items, I thank you in advance. I know everyone likes to play golf, but if you can spare even 15-20 minutes clearing a portion of the course, you'll be making the course more enjoyable for both yourself and others. I want to impress the out-o-towners when they step onto the Lakeview course during the Ironwood Open. I'm sure I'm not the only one hoping to make a good impression. :)

p.s. My hat's off to the mule who shows up at the course and chooses to spend an evening working rather than playing.
You know who you are....

hitman
Apr 04 2009, 06:34 PM
Anybody have a wood chipper???, this would help out on several holes and in several ways-next would be if anyone minds it being borrowed for a day or two this week for work at Moraine.
Are we allowed to build benches on holes, or does the pfds need approval for either of these things?

gotcha
Apr 05 2009, 12:22 PM
J Gary has a wood chipper, but he has no way to haul it out to the course. Need someone with a pickup truck to make that happen. It sure would help.....

We can build wooden benches. The new park manager is going to talk with the local Eagle Scouts to see if they might be interested in building benches as a future project. That would be awesome and I think there's a good chance that might happen further down the road. Building basic wooden benches is something we can do for the interim. I have three more red-wood benches similar to the one that's currently located at hole 12's blue tee. I plan to apply water sealant on those benches this week and will have them on the course for the Lakeview Championship on Saturday. In fact, I think I just might apply a coat of sealant today!

SCOTT
Apr 05 2009, 10:50 PM
I have a pick up and can help out if needed. Let me know when we can do it. I'm busy most evenings but may be able to swing it. Friday may be the best day. I can just drive my truck to work (Cranberry) pick up the benches for you Jerry if you like. I would have to get in touch with J.Gary about the chipper though. Where does he live? Wexford? Is the park cool with it?

gotcha
Apr 06 2009, 12:08 PM
This Friday is a holiday for me, "Good Friday", and I plan to do some work at the course that day in preparation of the Lakeview Course Championship. I believe J Gary is off work that day, too. Weather is supposed to be good......that would be a great day to get the chipper out to the course. Are you off that day, too, Scott?

sandalbagger
Apr 06 2009, 12:37 PM
FYI Josh Arnette brought a huge load of wood chips out to the course yesterday and has made a new path from hole 17 to 18. AWESOMENESS!!!!! So no need to worry about that part of the course.

gotcha
Apr 06 2009, 12:39 PM
Arnette's a Mule. :)

dextamuggins
Apr 06 2009, 04:23 PM
I have a chipper too here in butler but, I also have no truck to move it but the club is welcome to use it. if its easier to get mine than j. garys. let me know.

SCOTT
Apr 06 2009, 04:25 PM
We may get both. I plan to get J. Gary's Thursday after work.
Jerry, Yes I am off all day. Would like to get out to the course around 8-9AM. Chris I could swing by and get yours also.

hitman
Apr 06 2009, 05:02 PM
Wow that's good mobilizing...having two would be sweet, I have friday off and could meet up with you guys. I noticed a lot of the baskets could use some touch ups-I'll have a can of cold galvanizing spray in my car.

gotcha
Apr 07 2009, 09:05 AM
Attention disc golfers and volunteers!

When: Good Friday, April 10
Where: Lakeview DGC at Moraine State Park
What: Wood chipping & spreading mulch
Who: Volunteers wanting to improve disc golf at Moraine

This Friday is a holiday for many folks so if you're one of those lucky people who has the day off, please consider volunteering to help us work on the Lakeview course at Moraine. Our plan is to have two wood chippers on site and we will go to town on the dead branches which have accumulated on holes 2, 12, 13, 17 and 18. We will use the wood chips to cover wet and eroded areas on those holes and it's gonna look awesome once it's completed! The more hands we have on deck means the quicker we can have lunch and play a round of golf afterward! The party begins at 9:00 am on Friday. Bring shovels, wheel barrows and work gloves.

Lakeview Course Championship (http://discussion.pdga.com/msgboard/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=912272&an=0&page=0#Post9 12272) ~ Saturday, April 11

If you can't make it out to Moraine for Friday's work day, then definitely make plans to show up the following day for the Lakeview Course Championship. It'll be an all day affair.....two rounds of golf, trophies to the divisional winners, CTP and raffle prizes......and all the proceeds benefit the Ironwood Open. By the way, the Lakeveiw Course Championship will be the last opportunity for players to register for the Ironwood and avoid the $10 late fee for entries received after April 12. Save yourself some dough and sign up either online or in person at the Championship (Kurt Poole will be accepting Ironwood entries).

Saturday's course championship starts earlier than our normal monthlies (registration is from 8:15 am - 9:00 am). Click the link above for details.

sandalbagger
Apr 07 2009, 04:06 PM
hey Jerry, shouldn't the women be playing the BLUE tees since the advanced women will be playing the BLUE tees for the ironwood? I know Lori does not want to play the white tees. And besides she shot a 73 on Sunday from the BLUES!!!

Juts curious.

gotcha
Apr 07 2009, 09:51 PM
hey Jerry, shouldn't the women be playing the BLUE tees since the advanced women will be playing the BLUE tees for the ironwood? I know Lori does not want to play the white tees. And besides she shot a 73 on Sunday from the BLUES!!!

Juts curious.

The Lakeview Course Championship will mirror the tee assignments for the Ironwood Open. The link provided in the post above identifies five divisions and the respective tee assignments:

Format: 2 rounds of 18-holes
Gold tees = Open
Blue tees = Advanced
White tees = Intermediate, Recreational

I have 1st & 2nd place trophies for the following five divisions: Open, Women, Advanced, Intermediate and Recreational. I am unsure how to award the women's 1st & 2nd place trophies if the women play in different divisions from different tees. Hmmmm.....

kUrTp
Apr 08 2009, 09:18 AM
(registration is from 8:15 am - 9:00 am).

I'm going to have to wake up at 6am for this event. :mad::(

gotcha
Apr 08 2009, 09:21 AM
We're just conditioning the players.
Don't complain about the LCC start time......the first round for the Ironwood Open starts at 8:45 am.

kUrTp
Apr 08 2009, 09:37 AM
I was told that I'm not allowed to complain when it comes to playing disc golf, especially at Moraine. I was told it's bad for my game, so I'll keep my mouth shut for now on.

WoW! Did not know that the Ironwood start time is 8:45am. Good thing Sid does a 2 minute player meeting.

sandalbagger
Apr 08 2009, 12:15 PM
8:45!!! Why???? WE could get 2 rounds in even if we started at 10

sandalbagger
Apr 08 2009, 12:15 PM
also, Stinky Hippie Ale will be on tap for the Ironwood at the Brewery

sandalbagger
Apr 09 2009, 09:49 AM
Sid Olcott aced hole 17 at Schenley leagues last night for $100!!!! Sweetness.

kUrTp
Apr 09 2009, 09:57 AM
Thats Awesome! That first ace pot didn't last that long.

kUrTp
Apr 09 2009, 01:49 PM
From the desk of Jerry Got your Money...

Despite the very likely chance of rain tomorrow the work day is STILL on. So all you woodchip freaks that are willing to help make Moraine look the best it's ever have, the plans are still a go.

gotcha
Apr 10 2009, 08:06 AM
As stated previously, the Moraine work day is still on for today, Good Friday. If you are thinking about coming out to help us clean up the course, don't bother looking at the radar.......it's definitely going to rain. :)

Reminder: If any local disc golfers are planning to play in the Ironwood Open, this is the last weekend to register and avoid paying the late fee. Players who register after Sunday (4/12) will have to pay an extra $10.00 to play in the tournament. PFDS Membership director, Kurt Poole, will be accepting Ironwood registration during the Lakeview Course Championship tomorrow.

mprestop
Apr 30 2009, 08:57 PM
Hey Everyone,

I have been updating the Schenley Park bulletin board each week with score updates from Wednesday night league along with event fliers that I have been given (J. Gary gave me the PFDS membership form). If you have any disc golf related materials that you'd like to have posted at Schenley, please email them to me as an attachment to [email protected] I have access to a color printer and will get them posted on my next trip to the course (usually at least twice a week).

Take care,

-mark

SCOTT
May 04 2009, 11:27 PM
18th ANNUAL
HALL OF CHAINS CLASSIC
Presented by the Stark County Disc Golf Association
Sponsored by Quonset Hut and the Stark County Visitors Bureau
A PDGA B-TIER EVENT
This year�s event will part of the North East Ohio Disc Golf Series
And a USADGC (United States Amateur Disc Golf Championships) qualifier
MAY 16th & 17th, 2009
ARBORETUM / SPIKER PARK � CANTON, OHIO
LINCOLN PARK � MASSILLON, OHIO
Min. $1000 ADDED To Pro Purse
Largest percentage going to the open divisions
Friday May 15th- Massillon- Lincoln Park
RANDOM DRAW SCRAMBLE-6:00 P.M.
Tournament check-in and Registration-2pm-6pm
SATURDAY MAY 16th- ARBORETUM /SPIKER PARK IN CANTON (2 rounds of 24 holes)
CHECK-IN: 7:30- 8:30
PLAYERS MEETING: 9:00
TEE-OFF: 9:30 (shotgun)
1ST Round of 24: (short tee�s everyone) Lunch 1 hour from last card in.
(2nd Round TEE-OFF �TBA approximately 1 hour from last card turned in)
2nd Round of 24 (short tee�s MA2/3/4 � Long tee�s-all Pro/MA1)
SUNDAY MAY 17th - LINCOLN PARK IN MASSILLON (2 rounds of 18 holes)
Players Meeting: 9:30
Tee-Off: 10:00 (shotgun)
(2nd Round Tee-off�TBA approximately 1 hour from last card turned in)
*Times and format subject to change at TD�s discretion.
Registration- Field limit 100
Pre-register by paypal at http://store.scdga.com/
Or mail check/money order (made out to SCDGA) to Paul Jay, 2045 Tupsfield Rd. Col. Oh. 43229
OPEN ENTRY ADVANCED ENTRY AMATEUR ENTRY
Open M/W $65* ALL $45* INTERMEDIATE (MA 2) $35*
MASTERS M/W $55* RECREATIONAL (MA3) $25* NOVICE (MA4) $25*

*You must be a current PDGA member or pay an additional $10 temporary fee
*Entry fees include $3 PDGA player fees/$2 Can-Am Fees
*All SCDGA current members will receive a $5 discount (Refunded at check-in)
(Ace fund $2.00)[All aces split all weekend] [Separate funds (1) Pro/Adv and (2) Int./Rec./Novice)
All Amateurs will receive a Min. $10 Players pack
*LUNCH FOR PLAYERS at COURSE- $5.00
BURGER (veggie burger add $1.00) OR TWO DOGS AND A WATER OR POP

CONTACTS:
TD: Paul Jay- [email protected] or ph. 614.203.0995
SCDGA President- Jay Kovach 330-412-4894

Anyone else heading out to Canton/Massillon OH for this event?

gotcha
May 05 2009, 09:29 AM
I'd like to play the Hall of Chains tournament, but I can't escape for the entire weekend. Too much stuff to do around the casa. :mad:

I am planning to play the DL Monthly and help with tee pad construction on that Saturday.

dextamuggins
May 05 2009, 12:22 PM
i'll be there gonna meet some friends from ohio over there.

sandalbagger
May 12 2009, 01:06 PM
Lori and I are both going to Hall of Chains. As are Mike Hoeg and Kira I believe.

I think there will be quite a few of us there.

sandalbagger
May 13 2009, 12:12 PM
KB, Lori and myself all signed up this morning. Matt McMillan should be signing up today as well. Hurry before it fills if you are planning on going.

SCOTT
May 13 2009, 06:41 PM
I signed him up last night. Can't wait to get out there!

matty$mcmillion
May 18 2009, 11:35 PM
wow three years and im finally able to post a message. hall of chains was sweet even though i played like crap.. courses are sweet. not a great pittsburgh showing out there though. but at least i came home to some good news.... aint that right mr poole.. :p

kUrTp
May 19 2009, 09:09 AM
wow three years and im finally able to post a message. hall of chains was sweet even though i played like crap.. courses are sweet. not a great pittsburgh showing out there though. but at least i came home to some good news.... aint that right mr poole.. :p

Great...I wish that three years would have turned into four years.

gotcha
May 20 2009, 11:11 AM
Here's what's going on around the 'burgh this weekend:

Moraine Monthly ~ Saturday, May 23 (10:00 am start)

Seven Springs ~ Sunday, May 24 (11:00 am start)

Women's League at Knob Hill ~ Monday, May 25 (6:30 pm start)

The Lakeview Beach concession stand will be open at Moraine this weekend! Burgers, hot dogs, ice cream! :)

As for Seven Springs Ski Resort, if you haven't played this mountain course you don't know what you're missing! Players ride the Polar Bear Express lift to the top and play holes 1-9 down the mountain......players then take the same lift up top to jump onto the back nine! Lift tickets are cheap, too.......$6.00 will get you two lift rides to play the 18-hole layout. You won't throw golf shots like this anywhere else in the Mid-Atlantic! Course designed by J Gary Dropcho in July 2008. Need I say more? :)

Check out Seven Springs website here:

http://www.7springs.com/page/category.detail/nav/5096.html

Also, I posted several images of the Seven Springs course on the Pittsburgh Photos thread. Click the link below and scroll up to post #43:

http://www.pdga.com/discussion/showthread.php?p=1363531#post1363531

gotcha
May 21 2009, 10:00 AM
From the desk of Tom Baumgardner:

If you haven’t heard of Pa. Senate bill 850 you need to pay attention. Why, you ask? Remember two years ago when they closed all of our state parks for a day, well it could get a lot worse. Senate bill 850 which did pass plans to close at least 35 of our state parks and close at least 1000 miles of state forest roads. This has not passed the house nor has it been signed by the governor, but with a huge budget shortage this is not the place to save money.

Write your state representatives, write the editor of your paper, get involved now, so that this does not become a reality. Moraine State Park, McConnell’s Mill State Park and Jennings are not yet safe. Presque Isle State park and Ohiopyle State are supposedly safe but there is also talk about possibly closing all of our state parks for one year. See the DCNR news release below. Thank-you for your help.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/<wbr>news/newsreleases/2009/0509-<wbr>budget.htm (http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/news/newsreleases/2009/0509-budget.htm)

gotcha
May 21 2009, 11:33 AM
Please, please, please....

Take a moment out of your busy day to contact (email or phone) your local representative and ask them to vote against SB 850 and the closure of state parks / forests within the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Here's the link to the PA House of Representatives:

http://www.house.state.pa.us/index.cfm

In the upper-right corner you will see search windows.....find your representatives by zip code or county. Call or email these legislators who represent us! Ask them to keep our state parks and forests open to the public!

gotcha
May 23 2009, 07:51 AM
Moraine was cut twice this week.......course looks fantastic! :)

gotcha
May 24 2009, 08:52 AM
The Moraine Monthly was awesome yesterday! 30 players showed up and the weather was perfect. I'll eventually post the scores over the next couple of days, but I will say that I witnessed Chris Deitzel tear it up by shooting a -10 under par 56....bogey-free to boot! Good shootin', Chrissy!

Gotta quit typing....headed out to play some disc golf in them thar hills! :)

Jeff_LaG
May 24 2009, 02:30 PM
As for Seven Springs Ski Resort, if you haven't played this mountain course you don't know what you're missing! Players ride the Polar Bear Express lift to the top and play holes 1-9 down the mountain......players then take the same lift up top to jump onto the back nine! Lift tickets are cheap, too.......$6.00 will get you two lift rides to play the 18-hole layout. You won't throw golf shots like this anywhere else in the Mid-Atlantic! Course designed by J Gary Dropcho in July 2008. Need I say more? :)

Check out Seven Springs website here:

http://www.7springs.com/page/category.detail/nav/5096.html

Also, I posted several images of the Seven Springs course on the Pittsburgh Photos thread. Click the link below and scroll up to post #43:

http://www.pdga.com/discussion/showthread.php?p=1363531#post1363531

Well, I was supposed to come out and play the course tomorrow but my ride had to cancel. Grrr...

sandalbagger
May 24 2009, 09:10 PM
Just got back from 7 springs. Shot a 61. Matt Miao shot a 60 his first time there. Once again, someone almost got killed on hole 3. Can't wait for that hole to get moved. THis time Carl Vesch through his disc through the chairlift and ended up on the mountain bike trail!!

Jeff_LaG
May 24 2009, 11:37 PM
Just got back from 7 springs. Shot a 61. Matt Miao shot a 60 his first time there. Once again, someone almost got killed on hole 3. Can't wait for that hole to get moved. THis time Carl Vesch through his disc through the chairlift and ended up on the mountain bike trail!!

Chris, I'm a little confused...J. Gary told me on Wednesday that the hole was already moved.

In the meantime, I really don't see why there are so many problems. J. Gary and Gunkel landed in the circle with putters, and I threw a monster hyzer wayyy out to the right with a Firebird that ended up about 50 long but had no chance to cause any safety hazards.

My ride canceled on me and I'm out for tomorrow btw..grrr.
:mad:

sandalbagger
May 25 2009, 10:11 AM
J Gary has redesigned the hole, but the anchor has not been put in the ground yet so we are still playing the original hole.

Well KB threw a ROC all the way down to 9's basket from 3's tee and he's been playing 30 + years!!! Carl VEsch through his beast with hyzer which then flipped and flew all the way through the chairlift, over the alpine slide and landed on the MTB trail.

In all honesty this entire course is the most dangerous I have ever seen or played.

Dave Olcott almost got hit on Goosebumps from an errant shot from Alanna on the corkscrew hole.

The hole after goosebumps, the tee is so close to the basket of the goosebumps hole, that someone is bound to get killed teeing off down while a shot comes screaming down the mountain.

The tee after the corkscrew hole is too close to the basket of the corkscrew hole.

There are numerous other instances where this is just a bad design from a safety standpoint.

Jerry, and the rest of our group kept calling this course "A lawsuit waiting to happen"

It's not if someone gets hit by a disc out there, it's just when.

And for the record, my shot I threw on hole 3 last year did end up landing all the way down by the lodge. I actually was given the disc back by the pro shop.

With all the room out there, I think some serious consideration needs to be used in redesigning a few of these holes. I don't want to see anyone get killed.

If 950+ players are having trouble, just think of the new players!!

But I did almost have a skip ace on hole 4. Hit the yellow band.

Believe me I love this course, but it's justa matter of time before someone gets hurt out there. I know I don't want to get hit from a disc coming down that mountain.

sandalbagger
May 25 2009, 10:24 AM
It should also be noted that 2 drives hit condos on hole 10!!!! Luckily they only hit the rock parts and not windows or people sitting on their back porch.

Alao there was a shot on hole 14 that would have for sure broken a window in a condo if not for a pine tree that grabbed the disc at the last second.

sandalbagger
May 25 2009, 10:32 AM
make that 3 drives on hole 10 hit condos. I was just informed that one of our 970+ rated players also hit a condo on hole 10.

gotcha
May 25 2009, 11:42 AM
May 24, 2009 ~ Open Division ~ Seven Springs Mountain Resort Disc Golf Course
<table border="1"><tbody><tr><td> Hole</td><td>1</td><td>2</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>5</td><td>6</td><td>7</td><td>8</td><td>9</td><td>OUT</td><td>10</td><td>11</td><td>12</td><td>13</td><td>14</td><td>15</td><td>16</td><td>17</td><td>18</td><td>IN</td><td>TOTAL
</td></tr><tr><td>Blue Tee</td><td>384</td><td>540</td><td>483</td><td>840</td><td>255</td><td>351</td><td>297</td><td>278</td><td>586</td><td>4014</td><td>855</td><td>270</td><td>309</td><td>289</td><td>909</td><td>810</td><td>549</td><td>174</td><td>810</td><td>4975</td><td>8989
</td></tr><tr><td>Par</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>5</td><td>3</td><td>3</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>4</td><td>31</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>3</td><td>3</td><td>5</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>3</td><td>5</td><td>33</td><td>64
</td></tr><tr><td>Matt "Chu" Miao</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>5</td><td>3</td><td>3</td><td>3</td><td>2</td><td>4</td><td>30</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>3</td><td>2</td><td>4</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>2</td><td>5</td><td>30</td><td>60
</td></tr><tr><td>Chris Deitzel</td><td>2</td><td>3</td><td>3</td><td>5</td><td>2</td><td>4</td><td>2</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>28</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>2
</td><td>3
</td><td>5
</td><td>4</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>5</td><td>33</td><td>61
</td></tr><tr><td>Kurt Poole</td><td>3</td><td>3</td><td>3</td><td>5</td><td>2</td><td>3</td><td>3</td><td>2</td><td>4</td><td>28</td><td>4</td><td>2</td><td>3</td><td>3</td><td>5</td><td>5</td><td>3</td><td>2</td><td>6</td><td>33</td><td>61
</td></tr><tr><td>Scott Heintzleman</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>2</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>30</td><td>4</td><td>2</td><td>3</td><td>3</td><td>5</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>6</td><td>33</td><td>63
</td></tr><tr><td>Jerry Gotcher</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>3</td><td>3</td><td>3</td><td>5</td><td>31</td><td>4</td><td>2</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>5</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>3</td><td>5</td><td>33</td><td>64
</td></tr><tr><td>Dave Olcott</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>5</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>32</td><td>5</td><td>2</td><td>3</td><td>3</td><td>5</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>6</td><td>34</td><td>66
</td></tr><tr><td>Sid Olcott</td><td>2</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>5</td><td>2</td><td>4</td><td>2</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>29</td><td>4</td><td>6</td><td>3</td><td>3
</td><td>5
</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>2</td><td>7</td><td>37</td><td>66
</td></tr><tr><td>Eric Bonazza</td><td>3</td><td>6</td><td>4</td><td>5</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>2</td><td>4</td><td>34</td><td>5</td><td>2</td><td>3</td><td>3</td><td>5</td><td>4</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>6</td><td>35</td><td>69
</td></tr><tr><td>Tim Wright</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>5</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>33</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>5</td><td>5</td><td>3</td><td>2</td><td>7</td><td>36</td><td>69
</td></tr><tr><td>KB Clark</td><td>3</td><td>5</td><td>7</td><td>5</td><td>3</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>3</td><td>36</td><td>3</td><td>2</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>5</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>3</td><td>6</td><td>33</td><td>69
</td></tr><tr><td>Robin White</td><td>2</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>6</td><td>3</td><td>3</td><td>5</td><td>35</td><td>5</td><td>3</td><td>5</td><td>3</td><td>6</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>3</td><td>6</td><td>38</td><td>71
</td></tr><tr><td>Carl Vesch</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>7</td><td>5</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>36</td><td>4</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>3
</td><td>6
</td><td>7</td><td>4</td><td>2</td><td>6</td><td>39</td><td>75
</td></tr><tr><td>Lori Merriman</td><td>3</td><td>5</td><td>3</td><td>5</td><td>4</td><td>4</td><td>5</td><td>4</td><td>4</td><td>37</td><td>4</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>6</td><td>7</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>6</td><td>41</td><td>78
</td></tr><tr><td>Alanna Poole</td><td>4</td><td>6</td><td>3</td><td>5</td><td>5</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>37</td><td>5</td><td>5</td><td>4</td><td>5</td><td>7</td><td>4</td><td>4</td><td>2</td><td>6</td><td>42</td><td>79
</td></tr><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>

I haven't laughed that often during a golf round as I did yesterday at Seven Springs. Carl's drive on hole 3 that lifted and soared downhill through the chairlifts, over the Alpine Slide and onto the bike trail was just the beginning. It was funny to hear Carl say "oh my god..." a couple of times as his disc continued to fly down the mountain, but it quickly became scary once everyone realized that Innova Beast could have seriously injured someone. Breathing a sigh of relief after seeing Carl's disc land on the bike trail next to the Polar Bear chair lift, it was once again comical watching him truck down the slope, climb over the two Alpine slides and then cross over the bike trail to his lie. Poor guy.....he was totally out of breath after playing back up that hillside to the green. :D

More funny stuff......Robin's tee shot on Hole 6 (Corkscrew) that s-bombed its way out and across the fairway and green of Hole 15 (Goosebumps) and eventually across the road and into the forest beyond. Not sure if he ever found that disc. Carl and Dave's condo drives on hole 10 and, of course, the near miss of the large vaulted ceiling windows on Hole 14 (I bet many of those condo owners dislike disc golf). Alanna's tee shot on Corkscrew that nearly took Dave's head off while we where looking for a disc in the knee-high grass on Goosebumps (the knee-high grass definitely sucked).

Funny stuff for sure.... :)

gotcha
May 25 2009, 11:43 AM
By the way, good shooting, Chu! That 60 from the blue tees just might be the official course record!

Jeff_LaG
May 25 2009, 09:53 PM
J Gary has redesigned the hole, but the anchor has not been put in the ground yet so we are still playing the original hole.

Well KB threw a ROC all the way down to 9's basket from 3's tee and he's been playing 30 + years!!! Carl VEsch through his beast with hyzer which then flipped and flew all the way through the chairlift, over the alpine slide and landed on the MTB trail.

In all honesty this entire course is the most dangerous I have ever seen or played.

Dave Olcott almost got hit on Goosebumps from an errant shot from Alanna on the corkscrew hole.

The hole after goosebumps, the tee is so close to the basket of the goosebumps hole, that someone is bound to get killed teeing off down while a shot comes screaming down the mountain.

The tee after the corkscrew hole is too close to the basket of the corkscrew hole.

There are numerous other instances where this is just a bad design from a safety standpoint.

Jerry, and the rest of our group kept calling this course "A lawsuit waiting to happen"

It's not if someone gets hit by a disc out there, it's just when.

And for the record, my shot I threw on hole 3 last year did end up landing all the way down by the lodge. I actually was given the disc back by the pro shop.

With all the room out there, I think some serious consideration needs to be used in redesigning a few of these holes. I don't want to see anyone get killed.

If 950+ players are having trouble, just think of the new players!!

But I did almost have a skip ace on hole 4. Hit the yellow band.

Believe me I love this course, but it's justa matter of time before someone gets hurt out there. I know I don't want to get hit from a disc coming down that mountain.

Chris, I've played about 200 courses and have played dozens more dangerous than 7 Springs.

I'm pretty sure that you're probably up around the same number but I feel that a statement like "In all honesty this entire course is the most dangerous I have ever seen or played" is not only an exaggeration and hyperbole, but also being stated publicly like this is a little disrespectful to J. Gary Dropcho, one of the best disc golf course designers in the world.

Any ski resort course is naturally going to have a few holes where because of gravity, an errant disc has the chance to end up on the fairway of another hole. I agree that an errant shot on Goosebumps #15 can easily end up on the Corkscrew hole or over on the tee of hole#16.

But that is the only hole where I see major problems. I've never understood why people are using such poor disc selction on hole#3, and with the polehole being moved, the safety hazard is going to be removed anyway. The tee after the Corkscrew hole is pushed left and far away from the basket of the Corkscrew and protected by foliage. I honestly cannot imagine a disc hyzering off that hard to become a safety hazard. If it does, the tee could always be moved 20 feet down and out in to the open.

As for hole#10, I threw a backhand roller off the tee both times I played it, scoring an easy birdie 3 and the 2nd time, just missing a 40-footer for a drop-in 4. I truly think I would have to aim my drive directly at the condos to run any risk of hitting them. I don't understand why golfers, 970 rated players or not, are throwing such errant shots that these condos come into play. I think the condos could actually come into play more on the approach on hole#14, but again, it would almost have to be a deliberate choice to use the airspace close to them, when an extremely ample amount of room over the ski trail is there. If the air space on hole#10 isn't wide enough (and it's probably 100' or more wide) then one really doesn't have very good control of his disc.

I think that if players use a little common sense, focus on accuracy and placement and smart golf, we wouldn't have these problems. I honestly think people are just trying to throw as hard and as far as they can without good knoweldge of the flight paths of their discs and the prevailing wind conditions. I use a putter or midrange on many holes up there, and I've shot a 64.

And again, with courses designed by J. Gary Dropcho like Knob Hill, Moraine State Park, IUP College Lodge, etc. being some of your personal favorite courses, Chris, I really don't think it's fair that you put J. Gary Dropcho in a public negative light like this. I'm sure you could have just as easily expressed these concerns to him via e-mail, phone call, or face-to-face meeting out on the course, without airing this dirty laundry in public.

sandalbagger
May 25 2009, 11:39 PM
I just wrote a huge reply but it got deleted.

arrggghh

sandalbagger
May 26 2009, 12:18 PM
OK lets go through this one by one.

"I've never understood why people are using such poor disc selction on hole#3"

KB Clark #284 threw a Roc all the way to the basket of 9!!! I think that's a pretty good disc choice from a well-seasoned vet. So in 3 trips to 7 springs we have had 3 discs now land all the way at the bottom of the mountain, puttiing peoples lives in danger. Carl's shot went through 2 chair lifts full of people, over the alpine slide, and landed on the MTB trail. NOw just imagine if that disc hit someone in the chairlift, knocjed them out of the chairlift and that person lands on the alpine slide. YOu get my point. HOPEFULLY the redesign of that hole will fix tyhat problem forever???

"The tee after the Corkscrew hole is pushed left and far away from the basket of the Corkscrew and protected by foliage. I honestly cannot imagine a disc hyzering off that hard to become a safety hazard. If it does, the tee could always be moved 20 feet down and out in to the open. "

Perhaps a tee shot might not hit someone on the tee of the next hole, but what about an approach shot or a shot coming down Goosebumps?? The tee is only about 75 feet to the left of the basket on the corkscrew. This is not the worst problem on the course, but you never know what a disc or player might do.

"As for hole#10, I threw a backhand roller off the tee both times I played it, scoring an easy birdie 3 and the 2nd time, just missing a 40-footer for a drop-in 4. I truly think I would have to aim my drive directly at the condos to run any risk of hitting them. I don't understand why golfers, 970 rated players or not, are throwing such errant shots that these condos come into play."

Apparently you are a really good player :) It's kind of funny you said this because last night at womens league, Kurt Poole brough a video on his phone from last year at 7 springs which shows a player nailing the condo on hole 10. And after a talk with all of the people who played 7 springs this weekend, it became clear that this is a real problem. Not only did 2 players in my 5-some hit the condos, but so did 2 other players that day. That makes 4 condos hit on just 14 tee shots!!!!!!!!!!! And believe me, some of the players who hit the condos are well over 950 rated. Now just imagine what a beginner could do on that hole. If we have high level experienced playes hitting condos, then there is DEFINITELY a problem.

And on hole 14 I landed my 2nd shot just about 15 feet from a condo. And another disc would have nailed the big window in a condo if a loan pine did not save the disc in the last second.

Also 14 is dangerous because you can't see the landing area from the tee, which means walkers and pedestrians could get nailed and not even know a disc is coming at them.

"If the air space on hole#10 isn't wide enough (and it's probably 100' or more wide) then one really doesn't have very good control of his disc. "

This is just plain absurd. From a designers point of view, you must think of the absolute worst shot that could ever be thrown and use that in your design. If 950+ rated players don't have enough control to not hit a condo, then I imagine MOST other disc golfers do not either.

"And again, with courses designed by J. Gary Dropcho like Knob Hill, Moraine State Park, IUP College Lodge, etc. being some of your personal favorite courses, Chris, I really don't think it's fair that you put J. Gary Dropcho in a public negative light like this. I'm sure you could have just as easily expressed these concerns to him via e-mail, phone call, or face-to-face meeting out on the course, without airing this dirty laundry in public. "

I never said anything about J Gary, I just said that it is a dangerous design and someone ls likely to get killed out there. I called him on the phone after my shot on hole 3 last year right after I threw it and told him that the hole had to be changed. As for Moraine, I believe most of the credit for that design is due to the other 4 course designers. J Gary had much less input and hole designs than you may think. BUt those people do not get the credit they deserve for the course.

And I stick by my comment that this isthe most dangerous course I have ever played. I have played 150+ myself and this is the only course where my card joked about the course being a lawsuit waiting to happen, or saying it's just a matter of time before someone gets hit. WIth all the room on that mountain, there is no need for a hole to be too close to another, or to put people or houses at risk of getting hit.

J Gary is one of the best designers out there and this course is so much fun to play. But the reality is, that it is very dangerous, and the design needs to be rethought before someone gets hurt.

And I know I am not the only one who agrees with that.

sandalbagger
May 26 2009, 12:20 PM
OK lets go through this one by one.

"I've never understood why people are using such poor disc selction on hole#3"

KB Clark #284 threw a Roc all the way to the basket of 9!!! I think that's a pretty good disc choice from a well-seasoned vet. So in 3 trips to 7 springs we have had 3 discs now land all the way at the bottom of the mountain, puttiing peoples lives in danger. Carl's shot went through 2 chair lifts full of people, over the alpine slide, and landed on the MTB trail. NOw just imagine if that disc hit someone in the chairlift, knocjed them out of the chairlift and that person lands on the alpine slide. YOu get my point. HOPEFULLY the redesign of that hole will fix tyhat problem forever???

"The tee after the Corkscrew hole is pushed left and far away from the basket of the Corkscrew and protected by foliage. I honestly cannot imagine a disc hyzering off that hard to become a safety hazard. If it does, the tee could always be moved 20 feet down and out in to the open. "

Perhaps a tee shot might not hit someone on the tee of the next hole, but what about an approach shot or a shot coming down Goosebumps?? The tee is only about 75 feet to the left of the basket on the corkscrew. This is not the worst problem on the course, but you never know what a disc or player might do.

"As for hole#10, I threw a backhand roller off the tee both times I played it, scoring an easy birdie 3 and the 2nd time, just missing a 40-footer for a drop-in 4. I truly think I would have to aim my drive directly at the condos to run any risk of hitting them. I don't understand why golfers, 970 rated players or not, are throwing such errant shots that these condos come into play."

Apparently you are a really good player :) It's kind of funny you said this because last night at womens league, Kurt Poole brough a video on his phone from last year at 7 springs which shows a player nailing the condo on hole 10. And after a talk with all of the people who played 7 springs this weekend, it became clear that this is a real problem. Not only did 2 players in my 5-some hit the condos, but so did 2 other players that day. That makes 4 condos hit on just 14 tee shots!!!!!!!!!!! And believe me, some of the players who hit the condos are well over 950 rated. Now just imagine what a beginner could do on that hole. If we have high level experienced playes hitting condos, then there is DEFINITELY a problem.

And on hole 14 I landed my 2nd shot just about 15 feet from a condo. And another disc would have nailed the big window in a condo if a loan pine did not save the disc in the last second.

Also 14 is dangerous because you can't see the landing area from the tee, which means walkers and pedestrians could get nailed and not even know a disc is coming at them.

"If the air space on hole#10 isn't wide enough (and it's probably 100' or more wide) then one really doesn't have very good control of his disc. "

This is just plain absurd. From a designers point of view, you must think of the absolute worst shot that could ever be thrown and use that in your design. If 950+ rated players don't have enough control to not hit a condo, then I imagine MOST other disc golfers do not either.

"And again, with courses designed by J. Gary Dropcho like Knob Hill, Moraine State Park, IUP College Lodge, etc. being some of your personal favorite courses, Chris, I really don't think it's fair that you put J. Gary Dropcho in a public negative light like this. I'm sure you could have just as easily expressed these concerns to him via e-mail, phone call, or face-to-face meeting out on the course, without airing this dirty laundry in public. "

I never said anything about J Gary, I just said that it is a dangerous design and someone ls likely to get killed out there. I called him on the phone after my shot on hole 3 last year right after I threw it and told him that the hole had to be changed. As for Moraine, I believe most of the credit for that design is due to the other 4 course designers. J Gary had much less input and hole designs than you may think. BUt those people do not get the credit they deserve for the course.

And I stick by my comment that this isthe most dangerous course I have ever played. I have played 150+ myself and this is the only course where my card joked about the course being a lawsuit waiting to happen, or saying it's just a matter of time before someone gets hit. WIth all the room on that mountain, there is no need for a hole to be too close to another, or to put people or houses at risk of getting hit.

J Gary is one of the best designers out there and this course is so much fun to play. But the reality is, that it is very dangerous, and the design needs to be rethought before someone gets hurt.

And I know I am not the only one who agrees with that.

kUrTp
May 27 2009, 09:53 AM
Please, please, please....

Take a moment out of your busy day to contact (email or phone) your local representative and ask them to vote against SB 850 and the closure of state parks / forests within the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Here's the link to the PA House of Representatives:

http://www.house.state.pa.us/index.cfm

In the upper-right corner you will see search windows.....find your representatives by zip code or county. Call or email these legislators who represent us! Ask them to keep our state parks and forests open to the public!

Here is the response I got from a friend who works for State Representative Dave Reed.

Kurt:
Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention. You were the first person to contact our office about it.

As I'm sure you know, the state is facing a significant budget deficit for the 2009-10 fiscal year. Senate Bill 850 is essentially the Senate's budget proposal, which leans toward a very conservative viewpoint on spending. In other words, SB 850 proposes many cuts in funding for various state programs to account for the deficit, including cuts in funding for the operation of state parks. In contrast, Governor Rendell's budget proposal is very liberal in terms of spending, but calls for increases in taxation to account for the budget deficit, which is hardly what the citizens of Pennsylvania need during these difficult economic times.

It is very probable that the House of Representatives will put forth a budget proposal that will lie somewhere in the middle--to neither the conservative or liberal extreme on spending. Surely, certain state programs will ultimately need to be scaled back or even removed from the budget on a temporary basis to allow for a sufficient state budget without significantly increasing taxes. As an alternative, it is ultimately the goal of those legislators with a fiscally responsible outlook to eliminate funding for many programs that are not deemed essential. As I discussed this issue with Representative Reed, he assured me that there will be an effort to keep as many programs in place as possible without creating a need for additional taxes.

Again, thanks for bringing this to our attention. I understand that this is an issue that is very personal to you and to many people you know. It would be a sad thing to see state parks have to close for a period of time due to a lack of funding, but I do believe there are a number of alternatives that can be considered before that would have to become a reality.

I hope this information helps! Let me know if you have any other concerns or questions!

Take care!

mprestop
May 27 2009, 02:54 PM
Man, I always thought that they were bad news, but I never thought that they would take disc golf away...

mprestop
May 27 2009, 05:07 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09147/973047-113.stm

An article from today's post gazette where Rendell and Dems fight against the GOP plan to shut down the parks.

Jeff_LaG
May 27 2009, 06:03 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09147/973047-113.stm

An article from today's post gazette where Rendell and Dems fight against the GOP plan to shut down the parks.

Any list of targeted state parks is kept from public

<!--subtitle--><!--byline-->By ROSCOE BARNES III Staff writer
<!--date--><!--secondary date-->

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript> var requestedWidth = 0; </SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT language=JavaScript> if(requestedWidth > 0){ document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').styl e.width = requestedWidth + "px"; document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').styl e.margin = "0px 0px 10px 10px"; } </SCRIPT>Is Caledonia State Park or any of the other four state parks in Franklin County on a closure list?

State officials deny there is a list, yet an unknown number of Pennsylvania state parks have been contacted already this week about the possibility of being closed because of budget cuts this year by the state Senate.

Chris Novak, spokesperson for the state Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, said last week that there was "no list so far" of the parks that might be closed, but that one was being developed.

On Tuesday, Novak said a list was being developed that will be incorporated with a response to a letter from state Sen. Mary Jo White. A Republican, White serves the 21st Senatorial District. encompassing Clarion, Forest and Venango counties and parts of Butler, Erie and Warren counties.

When asked by Public Opinion about parks being contacted, Novak said: "We are doing some internal notifications."

Details of any list that outlines what parks will close if the House agrees to the same version of the budget will not be released to the general public until White has had a chance to review it, Novak said.

One of the things the state will look at is the number of visitors a park receives each year. That will not be the only factor in the decision whether to close or not close, Novak said.

Other matters of concern will be salary and budget issues, staffing, and the cost to operate the parks. The parks with the most visitors would likely be safe, Novak said. Other factors would come into play in the final decision, she said.

In terms of numbers, Caledonia State Park saw a total of 273,891 visitors in 2008, Cowans Gap had 42,402, and Mont Alto had 24,806, according to the Pennsylvania Bureau of State Parks Annual Attendance Report for 2008 - Region 3.

Some of the top parks had more than a million visitors last year. They include Presque Isle: 3,700,817; Pymatuning: 3,063,606; Moraine: 1,289,499; Ohiopyle: 1,276,589; Tyler: 1,100,900; Codorus: 1,174,508; Prince Gallitzin: 1,364,369.
Those with the least number of visitors are U. Pine Bottom: 1,085; Poe Valley: 1,523; and McCall's Dam: 2,446.

Jeff_LaG
May 28 2009, 11:23 AM
The hit list of parks that could be closed has been released (http://www.publicopiniononline.com/ci_12465829).

mprestop
May 28 2009, 11:10 PM
After only moving to the state in the last five years, I do not know much about the parks of Pennsylvania. However, after reviewing the list, it seems as though the safe parks, those that see the most foot traffic, are also the ones that have disc golf courses. Correlation? Perhaps? Or maybe only the larger parks are suitable for disc golf.

Granted the costs associated with creating disc golf courses are not cheap, I wonder if there is a way that the addition of disc golf to state parks could be leveraged to the heads of the parks, local communities, i.e. the powers that be over the areas containing the parks in jeopardy, as a long-term tool to increase foot traffic in the lesser used parks. Even if the parks survive the Republican attack this summer, there's no saying that they won't use the same strategy next year, or years down the road, to cut state expenditures. I'm not sure what we as a community can do, but I just wanted to put that thought out there.

-mark

gotcha
May 29 2009, 09:37 AM
There are idiots in our legislature who do not know how to live within their means. If our elected officials took some fiscal responsibility and actually controlled their spending, we probably wouldn't be contemplating the closure of select state parks and forests within the Commonwealth. Unfortunately, legislative idiots are elected to both sides of the aisle.

Here's a response I received last week from a representative in Butler County:

Dear Jerry,

Thank you for your email regarding your concerns with the Senate-passed budget proposal � Senate Bill 850.

With no signs of an economic turnaround in sight, Pennsylvania is facing a $3 billion budget deficit this year, which means the current budget is already more than the state can afford.

Despite the state�s economic problems, the Rendell Administration and some Democrat lawmakers are continuing to call for new and increased spending, which in turn demands new and increased taxes. The governor�s $29 billion spending plan for Fiscal Year 2009-10 represents a $700 million spending increase over the current year�s enacted budget. This proposal was recently introduced in the state House by Democrat Appropriations Chairman Dwight Evans as House Bill 1416.

Even with inclusion of $2.7 billion in federal stimulus funds to support the 2009-10 state budget, the Rendell spending plan requires a tax increase.

Families and businesses are struggling every day just to make ends meet,

tax increases can not be allowed.

The Senate�s $27.3 billion spending plan was crafted from the governor�s original budget proposal, but unlike the Rendell/House Democrat plan, it takes the necessary steps to account for the growing economic decline and does so without increasing taxes.

Government cannot spend money they do not have. Our goal must be to ensure that essential government services continue operating.

With two very contrasting budget proposals before us, the decision is whether the state should adopt a plan that takes more from taxpayers to increase spending above and beyond what is affordable;

or move forward with a budget that controls spending and enables state government to maintain core functions without imposing unnecessary burdens on the people of Pennsylvania.

In today�s economy and with an uncertain future before us, I believe we need a responsible plan that accounts for taxpayers� hardships and calls upon state government to live within its means. At this time, the Senate budget proposal is the plan that is the closest to meeting this need.

I can assure you that my support will align with the spending plan that best represents the people I have been elected to serve.

If there is ever any way that I may be of assistance to you with any state related issue, please contact me.

gotcha
May 29 2009, 11:40 AM
....now back to our regularly scheduled program:

Knob Hill Monthly *mixer*

Date : 30 May 2009 (Saturday)
Category : PFDS Tournament

Event Description : $10 entry fee ($11 for non-PFDS members).

All skill divisions offered. One round of 18-holes; round begins at 10:00 am.

Divsions will be randomly mixed so players of various skill levels will have the chance to play together. All divisions play white tees during Mixer events at Knob Hill.

SCOTT
May 29 2009, 11:27 PM
As usual the republicans have to find ways to pay for all the programs that the democrats come up with. :)

gotcha
Jun 02 2009, 12:26 PM
Lots of action around the 'burgh this weekend. As usual, we have a large number of PFDS members going up to Ashtabula, OH for the Discraft Shoot the Breeze Open. Robin White will be representing Pittsburgh at the Seneca Creek Soiree in Maryland while I'm currently the only PA player registered for the Disc 'n Dat Bluegrass Open in Kentucky.

Best of luck to all our traveling members this weekend!

Mark your calendars for next weekend, June 13 (Saturday). We will be conducting disc golf clinics at Moraine State Park as part of the National Get Outdoors Day! Demos are scheduled for 11:00 am and 2:00 pm.
The Moraine Monthly will start at 3:30 pm on June 13! :)

sandalbagger
Jun 02 2009, 04:22 PM
kick some butt Jerry. Maybe next year I will go down with you. Just hard to pass up the Shoot The Breeze. Ashtabula is one of my favorite places to play golf and hang out at afterward.

sandalbagger
Jun 03 2009, 05:31 PM
Yo Jerry, go to the Phish at Star Lake thread and watch those videos of John Popper and Neil Young!!

gotcha
Jun 10 2009, 05:05 PM
National Get Outdoors Day

Saturday, June 13
Moraine State Park

For more info visit the following website:
http://www.nationalgetoutdoorsday.org/about/

"National Get Outdoors Day is a new annual event to encourage healthy, active outdoor fun. Participating partners will offer opportunities for American families to experience traditional and non-traditional types of outdoor activities. Prime goals of the day are reaching first-time visitors to public lands and reconnecting our youth to the great outdoors."

The PFDS and Moraine State Park are teaming up this weekend to promote disc golf during the National Get Outdoors Day. Please join us for a day of promoting disc golf on one of the premier disc golf courses in the sport!

We will have a tent set up near hole 1 and we will be providing promotional materials as well as offering disc golf demo clinics at 11:00 am & 2:00 pm! One can never tell how many people may show up to learn about disc golf, so the more PFDS volunteers we have on hand, the better!

The Moraine Monthly will start at 3:30 pm!

Plan to spend the day promoting the sport we all love to play! Bring old discs you no longer use so interested park patrons can try their hand at tossing a golf disc! We are in particular need for used putters and mid-range discs as most of our donated plastic are drivers.

Bring lunch or plan to grill out. Some folks have told me they are planning have a dinner barbecue following the monthly. Of course, the Lakeview Beach concession stand is open for business this time of year. Lake Arthur is available in the event you want to take a swim and the showers are open as well.

I hope to see many of you at Moraine this weekend!

Regards,

Jerry Gotcher
PFDS Lifetime Member #35
Lakeview DGC Promoter

gotcha
Jun 11 2009, 09:21 AM
DG around the 'Burgh ~ June 2009

Sat, June 13 ~ Moraine Monthly *Mixer* ~ 3:30 pm

Sat, June 20 ~ Concrete Pour at Deer Lakes Park ~ 8:00 am

Sun, June 21 ~ Deer Lakes Monthly *Mixer* ~ 10:00 am

Sat, June 27 ~ Knob Hill Monthly ~ 10:00 am

Sun, June 28 ~ Timberlink Open (disc golf on a ball golf course).

We will soon be announcing tournament details for the Timberlink Open in Ligonier, PA (east of Latrobe and across from Idlewild Park).

tistoude
Jun 24 2009, 11:32 PM
I was reading the new DiscGolfer magazine that just arrived and they had the national points standings for amateur Men and Women and Lori Merriman is ranked 12th in the nation. I just wanted to congratulate her and make sure everyone else knows.

kUrTp
Jun 25 2009, 09:02 AM
That's awesome...GO LORI!!!

sandalbagger
Jun 26 2009, 12:18 PM
Don't think I'll be able to make Timberlink, but I do think I am headed to 7 springs early tomorrow to play a round.

gotcha
Jun 26 2009, 01:33 PM
Knob Hill Monthly ~ Saturday, June 27

Timberlink Open ~ Sunday, June 28
http://www.pdga.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=31943

sandalbagger
Jun 26 2009, 01:36 PM
Knob Monthly tomorrow??? **** it.

So...........Knob Monthly??? 7 Springs???? Or Browns Farm?????

kUrTp
Jun 26 2009, 01:47 PM
Well just to let you know Alanna and I are planning on attending Browns farm for their B-tier in mid July. You can play it then. I heard $1000 add to pro purse.

sandalbagger
Jun 26 2009, 02:35 PM
I will be playing Brown in July as well. But I have other reasons for going up there. And I like to play there at least once a month. But just talked to GD and he has a wedding tomorrow. So now the decision is................

7 springs????????? or Knob monthly?????????

kUrTp
Jun 26 2009, 04:18 PM
I'm not doing either, 7 Springs or Knob Monthly... If i were you I'd play Knob, you can take all the money there. 7 Springs doesn't play you to play.

SCOTT
Jun 26 2009, 04:18 PM
Support your club. Play the monthly. Make Sid happy.

sandalbagger
Jun 26 2009, 06:32 PM
That settles it. Lori and I are playing the Gordon Holton Accolade. Just signed up and spending the night at Lisa Warners.

Ready to get my butt kicked my Tyler and Brad.

tistoude
Jun 29 2009, 12:44 PM
There is a new 9 hole course located at Nemacolin Woodlands Resort. If you have your own discs they will give you a map and let you play for free. I have not played it yet although I have heard that Craig McCloud (of the clan McCloud) has. Since Nemacolin goes overboard on everything I am hoping that it is a nice course. The number to call for directions and information is 724-329-6070. I am hoping to play it this coming weekend.

sandalbagger
Jun 29 2009, 03:00 PM
THe nemacolin course is NOT nice. J Gary designed a nice 9-hole course there but they did not go through with his original design and proposal. A friend of mine designed the course now and it is not very good. He has only played maybe 2 courses ever.

gotcha
Jun 30 2009, 06:48 AM
FYI....

We will be doing some course work at Moraine on Thursday, July 2 beginning at 10:00 am. We'll be using a chainsaw to take out damaged trees as well as remove some Autumn Olives we have flagged throughout the course. Polesaw needed in a few areas as well....

JG

sandalbagger
Jun 30 2009, 10:43 AM
Where are the damaged trees?

Jeff_LaG
Jun 30 2009, 11:44 AM
THe nemacolin course is NOT nice. J Gary designed a nice 9-hole course there but they did not go through with his original design and proposal. A friend of mine designed the course now and it is not very good. He has only played maybe 2 courses ever.

What a brilliant decision on the part of the Nemacolin Woodlands Resort. Let's NOT go with the Disc Golf Course Designer's Group member and master course designer, and instead opt for a complete newbie to the sport to design our course. :rolleyes:

sandalbagger
Jun 30 2009, 02:48 PM
Agreed Jeff. My buddy just graduated Slippery Rock and he got a job there and designed the course. He didn't even know about J Gary's proposal. He has asked me for help, and I told J Gary about it. J Gary responded with "They have the proposal"

So I am going to talk with him, and see if he can get it redesigned. He has asked for some help.

I'm guessing it was more of a management/change of management thing as to why J Gary's design never happened.

But either way, at least they started something. And as for the guy who designed it, at least he got something going. And from what I have heard from him, he thought it was a brand new fresh idea to put a course in there.

sandalbagger
Jun 30 2009, 02:49 PM
And Jeff----It's the City of Champyinz not Champions. ;)

sandalbagger
Jul 06 2009, 10:18 AM
For those of you who did not go to Medina this weekend, you missed out on one of the best if not THE best weekend of disc golf ever.

The most amazing catered food all weekend, camping at the Jenkins, glow golf, Red and J gARY FREESTYLYING, Red with his light-up boomerang. THE BEST catered food ever, anywhere, ever!!!!!!!!!

Best $$$ I have ever spent on a tournament hands-down!

gotcha
Jul 10 2009, 01:34 PM
Sunday, July 12 ~ Moraine Monthly (10:00 am)
We will be playing the PFDO pin placements for the Monthly. Pins will also be left in tournament position up through the PFDO, August 8-9. Get your practice in this month....home field advantage, baby!

Saturday, July 25 ~ Deer Lakes Monthly (10:00 am)
This will be a Monthly *Mixer* format where all divisions play from the white tees. Pro and Am players will be randomly mixed so competitors get a chance to play with people outside their respective divisions.

Sunday, July 26 ~ Knob Hill Course Championship (9:00 am)
This two-round fund raiser benefits the Pittsburgh Flying Disc Open in August. Last year, players raised nearly $700 for the PFDO.
Click the following link for more details:
http://www.pdga.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=32054

August 1-2 ~ The Invitational at Moraine State Park
Handicap tournament held during the Regatta at Lake Arthur. This year's tournament will be a true invitational.....only PFDS members will be allowed to compete. Membership has its privileges! :)

Tournament details and individual player handicaps will be posted sometime next week.
Mark your calendar for this event and the Regatta at Lake Arthur. Plan to spend the weekend helping promote disc golf all the while enjoying the two-day festival. Admission to the Regatta is free and there are tons of activities for both young and old!

JedidiahBibby
Aug 12 2009, 09:06 AM
Knob Hill Monthly (*Mixer*) ~ Saturday, August 15

Lets not forget about this. This is your shot at redemption after the PFDO.

gotcha
Aug 12 2009, 09:13 AM
Knob Hill Monthly (*Mixer*) ~ Saturday, August 15

Lets not forget about this. This is your shot at redemption after the PFDO.

I will also have available the cash prizes/trophies from this year's Invitational at Moraine. Scores & Payout posted on that thread... :)

JedidiahBibby
Aug 12 2009, 12:11 PM
Is anyone up for a possible glow round Friday Night? Maybe we can play some doubles?

Come on Sid, Dave, Speaker, Jerry, Kurt, Josh, etc.... GROW SOME HAIR

garydropcho
Aug 12 2009, 03:34 PM
Go to play Schenley Wednesday league tonight Jedi should.
--Yoda

kUrTp
Aug 12 2009, 04:30 PM
I'm out Friday night. We might, I repeat might make it to Knob Saturday morning.

hitman
Aug 27 2009, 04:50 PM
Just thinking about Labor Day coming up and was wondering if anyone had any plans to play.... Maybe a round or two at Deer Lakes/Moraine, since I hardly ever get a chance to come out and play in a monthly.

SCOTT
Aug 27 2009, 05:55 PM
There is a word of mouth friends tournament possibly at the Lakeview course. I heard one round of singles followed by a round of doubles paired up by the seeding of the singles round. A little bird told me. PM me if you want more details.

garydropcho
Aug 27 2009, 07:54 PM
How about a Sunday 9/6 outing to Seven Springs?

hitman
Aug 27 2009, 08:53 PM
The problem is I do not know yet about my schedule and if it will be just the 7th or 6th and 7th??? But I know I will be off for sure and will be playing some golf, followed by getting absoluletly faced...and I mean record setting faced, waking up in a random parking lot with no pants on kinda good time.

hitman
Aug 30 2009, 04:11 PM
I am pretty sure I will have Sun/Mon off so I cannot wait to play....hope some of you guys get out

mprestop
Sep 07 2009, 01:34 PM
ATTENTION: Schenley Park League Finale - mark your calendars!

This year the (Wed. night) league final will be held on Saturday, October 10th starting at at 9:00. We will play a round from the blue tees followed by a round from the white tees after lunch. We’ll then hand out awards for this year’s play. Handicaps will count but you need not have played in any league rounds to participate. The cost of the final will be $10. We hope to see you all there!

No need to have participated in the league to play in this event. Last year's winner of the event was J. Gary!

gotcha
Sep 11 2009, 09:50 AM
9/12 ~ Moraine Monthly (mixer)

9/13 ~ Rollin' the Deis (inaugural PDGA tourney in Dover, OH....2 hrs from da 'burgh).

dextamuggins
Sep 11 2009, 03:05 PM
i would like to goto the rollin the deis but I can't find ANY info on it. anyone from the burgh goin? I can drive if anyone needs a lift. holla

SCOTT
Sep 11 2009, 04:12 PM
Stella posted some info on the PFDS discussion board. Not a whole lot is out there. Google search is you best bet. I'm heading out but am already carpoolin with Jerry Gotcher.

gotcha
Sep 11 2009, 06:48 PM
i would like to goto the rollin the deis but I can't find ANY info on it.

For info on the "Rollin' the Deis" tournament click here:
http://www.ohiodiscgolf.org/events/view/340/

To read my review of the Deis Hill course click here:
http://www.pdga.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=29147

From what I hear the course now has concrete pads on many of the tees.
Should be a lot of fun this Sunday. :)

hitman
Sep 14 2009, 05:07 PM
how'd things go in Dover Ohio?

kUrTp
Sep 14 2009, 05:21 PM
Things went OK...
Alanna won against herself
Jerry took first with T. Horne winning more money
Chrissy stunk it up
Hartle played Intermediate
Stella beat me which means
I stunk it up more than Chrissy

sandalbagger
Sep 15 2009, 11:19 AM
Jerry only beat me by 5. I only stunk up the first round. Actually my first 2 holes both rounds were the difference of me not tying or beating Jerry.

Bad breaks.

sandalbagger
Sep 15 2009, 01:59 PM
I'm blaming my play on the 101 degree fever I have right now. I really should have stayed home and got some rest.

kUrTp
Sep 15 2009, 03:11 PM
I'm blaming my play on the 101 degree fever I have right now. I really should have stayed home and got some rest.

Get your rest now so you have no excuses for your title defense. The beauty and the beast can drain the best of players!!!

gotcha
Sep 30 2009, 12:31 PM
The Moraine Monthly is this Sunday, October 4. Start time is 10:00 am so sign up early (registration begins at 9:00 am)!

The monthly will coincide with the Pittsburgh Scholastic Series Event #3 which will be the first time for high school & middle school players to contest the par-66 Lakeview course at Moraine State Park.

The scholastic event is two rounds (36 holes) whereas the Moraine Monthly is only 1 round of 18 holes.

sandalbagger
Oct 02 2009, 12:54 PM
Headed down to Reedsville, Ohio for my 10th Ohio River Open. I've been to every one since they started running PDGA events back in 2000. Was my home course for a few years and it's where I found my dog. So I guess this is her 9th year down there since I found her in 01. Can't believe it's been that long!

Glad to see a few new Pittsburghers are making the trip this year. Looks like Me, Lori, Sid, Dave, Prestopnik and Teresa are all making the trip. Can't wait to leave.

kUrTp
Oct 02 2009, 04:26 PM
That makes my chances of winning money at Moraine even better.

mprestop
Oct 05 2009, 02:36 PM
ATTENTION: Schenley Park League Finale - This Saturday!!!!

This year the (Wed. night) league final will be held on Saturday, October 10th starting at at 9:00. We will play a round from the blue tees followed by a round from the white tees after lunch. We�ll then hand out awards for this year�s play. Handicaps will count but you need not have played in any league rounds to participate. The cost of the final will be $10. We hope to see you all there!

No need to have participated in the league to play in this event. Last year's winner of the event was J. Gary!

mprestop
Oct 06 2009, 11:34 PM
Adding a new wrinkle to this year's tournament, we will be moving several of the baskets between rounds.

Here are the layouts that will be featured:

1st round (blue tees for non-scholastic):

1b, 2a, 3b, 4c, 5b, 6c, 7b, 8b, 9a, 10c, 11b, 12c, 13b, 14a, 15c, 16a, 17c, 18c

2nd round (white tees for non-scholastic):

1c, 2c, 3b, 4c, 5a, 6b, 7b, 8c, 9a, 10b, 11c, 12c, 13b, 14c, 15b, 16a, 17a, 18c

Hope everyone decides to come out for a fun day of disc golf!

sandalbagger
Oct 08 2009, 01:01 PM
A weekend Jerry Gotcher would like to forget.

http://www.pdga.com/tournament-results?TournID=2727&year=2009&include_ratings=1#Advanced

gotcha
Oct 12 2009, 09:00 PM
Seven Springs Spectacular!
One round of 18 holes
Saturday, October 17

10:30 am ~ Meet at Adventure Center

11:00 am ~ Tee Off!

$10 Entry fee for tournament
$ 6 Lift Ticket for disc golf course

The October monthly at Knob Hill has been moved to Seven Springs Mountain Resort! Last year the autumn foliage was spectacular and this year should be just as nice! Plan to spend the day disc golfing at one of the finest mountain courses in the eastern US! The round will take about 4 hours to play.....and that includes stopping for a quick bite to eat before heading back up the mountain to play the remaining nine holes! Don't forget to bring a camera......and remember you only need a putter or mid-range on a lot of the downhill holes!

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc184/gotcherj/DSC_5633.jpg (http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc184/gotcherj/?action=view&current=DSC_5633.jpg)

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc184/gotcherj/DSC_5657.jpg (http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc184/gotcherj/?action=view&current=DSC_5657.jpg)

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc184/gotcherj/DSC_5678.jpg (http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc184/gotcherj/?action=view&current=DSC_5678.jpg)

sandalbagger
Oct 13 2009, 10:20 AM
I like that I think I can throw a roc all the way to the basket on 1. LOL.

gotcha
Oct 13 2009, 10:33 AM
I like that I think I can throw a roc all the way to the basket on 1. LOL.

You can. You can also do it on holes 3, 5, 6, 7 and 15. :D

sandalbagger
Oct 13 2009, 10:56 AM
Hole 1 I need a driver, but hole 3 PUTTER and PUTTER ONLY!!

Jeff_LaG
Oct 13 2009, 12:07 PM
Hole 1 I need a driver, but hole 3 PUTTER and PUTTER ONLY!!

On hole#3 I throw the most overstable driver in my bag, aim it towards the trees on the right, and deliver it with extreme hyzer. I've never landed more than 50 feet away from the basket.

gotcha
Oct 13 2009, 01:56 PM
On hole#3 I throw the most overstable driver in my bag, aim it towards the trees on the right, and deliver it with extreme hyzer. I've never landed more than 50 feet away from the basket.

Jeff, you probably won't use that same approach the next time you tee up on hole 3. Due to safety concerns, the pin was relocated up the hill and tucked just inside the tree line along the right side (imagine a pin placement near the yellow-colored tree seen at the right edge of the photo). I believe J Gary also moved the tee further back along the ridge line as a result of bringing the green further up slope.

I have not played the hole since it was redesigned earlier this year, but I have heard the pin has been permanently moved. I suspect the righty-forehand is the best angle of attack on this hole now.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc184/gotcherj/DSC_5651.jpg (http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc184/gotcherj/?action=view&current=DSC_5651.jpg)
The original hole 3 featured a green straight down the ski slope, just beyond the gravel road.

kUrTp
Oct 14 2009, 10:52 AM
I'm in!

sandalbagger
Oct 14 2009, 11:08 AM
I think I'm out. Weather looks horrible.

Jerry still got room for 1 in VA??

kUrTp
Oct 14 2009, 03:34 PM
I think I might have changed my mind as well. High of 32 with chance of snow doesn't sound too fun. Bummer!

gotcha
Oct 14 2009, 03:53 PM
It's a ski resort for goodness sake! :D

gotcha
Nov 06 2009, 09:31 AM
Knob Hill Monthly

Saturday ~ November 7
10:00 am

This is a *mixer* format. Players will be randomly mixed so pros & ams have a chance to play on the same card. Due to the mixer format all divisions will play from the white tees.

gotcha
Nov 11 2009, 07:48 AM
Moraine Monthly

Saturday, November 14
10:00 am

Come out and play the newly installed Fly Pads!
Eagle pot is currently at $31.00

Pin placements for this weekend:
1c 2b 3b 4a 5c 6c 7a 8a 9c 10c 11b 12a 13a 14b 15a 16b 17a 18b

sandalbagger
Nov 13 2009, 03:20 PM
I moved the pins at Knob Hill to C-pin today, only to find KB moving the pins to other pins lol

So it looks like this for now

1 C
2 C
3 B
4 A
5 A
6 B
7 C
8 C
9 C
10 C
11 C
12 C
13 C
14 C
15 b
16 C
17 C
18 C

gotcha
Nov 26 2009, 08:52 AM
Deleted

SCOTT
Nov 26 2009, 05:42 PM
Anybody interested in playing around tomorrow? Either at Moraine or Knob? Semd me a text. Hopefully we can get something together.

gotcha
Nov 27 2009, 07:56 AM
The following disclosure is from Allegheny Park's web site regarding Saturday's Turkey Shoot at Deer Lakes:

Fee: $10/members, $11/nonmembers
All skill divisions offered. 18-holes and a bonus 9-hole final. Divsions will be randomly mixed so players of various skill levels will have the chance to play together. All divisions play white tees during Mixer events at Deer Lakes Park.

So....there you go. :)
Have fun with that bonus 9-hole final, everyone!

gotcha
Dec 01 2009, 09:01 AM
Knob Hill Monthly

Saturday, December 5
$10 Entry fee ($11 for non-PFDS members)
Pro & Advanced divisions play blue tees; all other divisions play white tees.
Tee off: 10:00 am

mprestop
Dec 03 2009, 06:19 PM
Who won the Turkey Shoot?

garydropcho
Dec 04 2009, 12:07 AM
Jason Gibson and J. Gary Dropcho tied for Open win with 58. Scholastic Series alum Ben
Smith won Advanced with a 59! Not sure who won Intermediate. All played from White Tees. Gibby and Alanna won the 9-hole doubles match afterward and a cool t-shirt each!

kUrTp
Dec 04 2009, 09:44 AM
To add to that...Gibby had TWO eagles during his -8 round. I think holes 9 and 14.

gotcha
Dec 09 2009, 08:22 AM
Moraine Monthly

Saturday, December 12 (Hanukkah & last day of deer season)
10:00 am start

Dress warm! (....and don't wear your deer antler cap)

PFDS members are invited to join us for lunch following the round at cabin #10.
Soup and chili will be provided. Members interested in attending the club luncheon are requested to bring a side dish or desert for the group.

Jeff_LaG
Dec 09 2009, 05:25 PM
Do they allow deer hunting within Moraine State Park?!?

sandalbagger
Dec 09 2009, 08:02 PM
Yes they do Jeff, but not in the area where the course is.

gotcha
Dec 15 2009, 08:21 AM
Deer Lakes Monthly

Saturday, December 19

sandalbagger
Dec 15 2009, 11:07 AM
Warning......front 9 of Deer Lakes is incredibly muddy. Maybe even mores than Knob Hill has ever been! Played yesterday and it was almost unplayable. Someone raked the leaves on the front 9 of the course and lets just say that that was not the best idea.

ezwind
Dec 15 2009, 05:30 PM
Are we going to be having any Sunday monthlies coming up? I'm having a hard time getting out on Saturdays because of overtime at work and my boy's ice hockey schedule.

gotcha
Dec 16 2009, 08:46 AM
Are we going to be having any Sunday monthlies coming up? I'm having a hard time getting out on Saturdays because of overtime at work and my boy's ice hockey schedule.

We tend to avoid Sunday monthlies during football season. :p

mprestop
Dec 16 2009, 03:09 PM
Due to tree removal in Schenley Park beginning on Thursday Dec 16, holes #10 and #12 will be temporarily pulled this evening to ensure the safety of our Discatchers. The baskets will be replaced after the Landscaping company has completed their work.

-mark

ezwind
Dec 16 2009, 06:24 PM
I thought football season ended when we lost to Cleveland. It is now Penguin season.

Jeff_LaG
Dec 17 2009, 12:36 PM
Warning......front 9 of Deer Lakes is incredibly muddy. Maybe even mores than Knob Hill has ever been! Played yesterday and it was almost unplayable. Someone raked the leaves on the front 9 of the course and lets just say that that was not the best idea.

Wow, I find that hard to believe. The ground is frozen solid out here and on your side of the state it's usually a lot colder. Hole#3 is usually the only muddy hole on the front nine. And nothing could ever be muddier than Knob Hill, which is practically always a slopfest, even in the midst of the worst drought in the middle of summer. :D

SCOTT
Dec 17 2009, 03:19 PM
Penguin Season? Awesome! I cannot wait to bag my first penguin! I just wonder the best way to cook them. I don't think you can go wrong with deep frying and dipping in cheese sauce with anything though.

When Chris wrote that post it was still pretty decent out. Everything is definitely frozen now. There is actually quite a bit of mud out at Deer Lakes. Holes 1, 3, 8, 11, 12, 14, 15, 16 can all get pretty sloppy. In my opinion it is still one of the best courses ever though. I play Knob Hill a few times a week and rarely have any issues with the mud. It helps to know what trails to take after it rains. I guess it is all a matter of opinion though. Just like having two PDGA events in the same weekend is a bad idea and would only detract from both events. When in reality both events filled up very nicely despite the bad weather.

kUrTp
Dec 18 2009, 10:24 AM
Deer Lakes Monthly

Saturday, December 19

To play tomorrow or not to play...That is the question!!!

Jeff_LaG
Dec 18 2009, 12:38 PM
I guess it is all a matter of opinion though. Just like having two PDGA events in the same weekend is a bad idea and would only detract from both events. When in reality both events filled up very nicely despite the bad weather.

Scott,

I don't think I know you. Have we ever met? But from the tone of this part of your message I am guessing that this is some sort of dig against me because when I was PA State Coordinator I presented some dissension against the idea of having two one-day PDGA events in the same weekend?

All I can tell you is that when I was PA State Coordinator, I did the scheduling for all the tournaments in the state and got A LOT of feedback from both tournament director and players. And maybe it's different in your side of the state where there is less competition, but over here we have tons of tournaments going on, not only in the state of PA but within New Jersey, Delaware and Maryland which are very close. In fact, if you live in the Philadelphia region you could play a PDGA-sanctioned event within 2 hours of your house in one of those 4 different states practically every weekend from April through October.

The feedback from TDs was almost ALWAYS that they would prefer not to schedule their event on the weekend where another local PDGA-sanctioned tournament was going on because it would possibly detract from the attendance and quality of their event. Many TDs didn't want to be stuck with a low turnout and saddled with extra tournament merchandise and/or a low payout. And with more and more people these days having family, work, and other things going in their lives that would prevent them from attending both events, it's something I would still recommend against if at all possible. But with so many clubs, courses, and events sometimes that just isn't even feasible.

On the plus side, I was very pleased to see that those two PDGA events in Pittsburgh were such a success. :cool:

sandalbagger
Dec 18 2009, 02:51 PM
If you think Knob Hill has been muddy, Deer Lakes toppedit 10x's the other day. It is probably better now that it has gotten colder. But you should have seen it!!!! Think of Knob 14 in the spring, but the entire front 9 of Deer Lakes looking like that.

And as for Knob, it is in very nice condition now, but when Spring hits, it will be muddy until late May.

Unless that park does something about the drainage which I believe will happen soon.

But as of right now the best conditions can be found at Moraine, Economy, 2 Mile, Knob and then Deer Lakes.

sandalbagger
Dec 18 2009, 02:54 PM
After 3000+ rounds at Knob, I would have to say that Knob has never been anywhere even close to being as muddy as Deer Lakes was on Monday.

KB will vouch for that. It was so bad you almost couldn't walk. But the back 9 was fine since no raking was done on the back 9.

Lesson learned....don't rake leaves off of wooded dirt holes, only grassy open holes!!!!

sandalbagger
Dec 18 2009, 03:01 PM
Pittsburgh + Disc Golf = success.

garydropcho
Dec 19 2009, 09:48 AM
Just got a call from Scott McIntyre ... today's monthly at Deer Lakes has been cancelled.

mprestop
Dec 29 2009, 09:33 PM
Hey everyone...not sure if there are plans to play a new years day round, but, if Schenley is being considered for play, be advised that holes 10 and 12 are not in their usual pin placements. Several large trees were cut down last week, so I had to move the baskets. I was up there today and the trees have been cut down and most of them removed. However, everything is completely frozen, so I wasn't able to put the baskets back. Hopefully the weather over the next couple of days will thaw things out, but, I just wanted to make sure everyone knew about that before any plans were made. Some of us played today and we played safari holes for 10 and 12 so it was fun anyway.

-mark

mprestop
Jan 01 2010, 06:17 PM
11 Players participated in Today's Schenley New Years get together!

SCOTT
Jan 01 2010, 07:53 PM
Some dedicated disc golfers followed the round with a 9 hole game of wolf.
Scott 7 Skins
Sid 7 Skins
Thersa 4 Skins
J. Gary 2 Skins
Birdie Bob 1 Skin

gotcha
Jan 02 2010, 10:58 AM
Knob Hill Monthly

Sunday ~ January 3, 2010
$10 Entry (one round of 18 holes)
10:00 am Start

RangerMer
Jan 06 2010, 12:04 PM
Since it's been so cold down here :( , I've been able to get on the computer more often. Trying to make the discussion board part of my routine with FACEBOOK!!! Anyway... I miss our PITTSBURGH friends!!! Please come visit!

kUrTp
Jan 06 2010, 03:07 PM
Since it's been so cold down here :( , I've been able to get on the computer more often. Trying to make the discussion board part of my routine with FACEBOOK!!! Anyway... I miss our PITTSBURGH friends!!! Please come visit!

First off...stop with the "It's been so cold down here" crap!!! How cold can it be? This weekend Moraine Monthly, high of 18 with probably a foot or more of snow on the ground.

Second off...I've been trying really hard to convince Alanna that she should come down for the Rose. It might depend on airfare and whatnot. I'll keep you posted.

gotcha
Jan 06 2010, 08:25 PM
Moraine Monthly

Sunday, January 10
$10.00 Entry Fee ($11.00 for non PFDS members)
10 am Start

We have rescheduled the Moraine Monthly to Sunday, January 10th due to weather and, more importantly, big game hunting ends on Saturday. At present, big game hunters are allowed to hunt on the disc golf course.

garydropcho
Jan 07 2010, 08:49 PM
Good Call!

dextamuggins
Jan 08 2010, 02:32 AM
i love big game, make you feel like you're on safari...

gotcha
Jan 27 2010, 09:18 AM
Deer Lakes Monthly *Mixer*

Date : 30 January 2010 (Saturday)
Category : PFDS League

Event Description :
$10 entry fee ($11 for non-PFDS members).

Divisions will be randomly mixed so players of various skill levels will have the chance to play together. All divisions play white tees during Mixer events at Deer Lakes Park.

SCOTT
Jan 27 2010, 11:33 AM
Also the Credit List for Am Credit has been compiled and we now have a master list. The list and a large amount of the clubs stock will be at this event.

gotcha
Jan 27 2010, 12:02 PM
As a reminder, amateurs can cash in club credit toward PFDS membership.
Annual membership fee is $10; Lifetime membership is $80

dextamuggins
Jan 28 2010, 01:57 PM
hmmmmmmmmmm.......

mprestop
Jan 29 2010, 12:09 PM
Deer Lakes Monthly *Mixer*

Date : 30 January 2010 (Saturday)

Event Description :

Divisions will be randomly mixed so players of various skill levels will have the chance to play together. All divisions play white tees during Mixer events at Deer Lakes Park.

It's going to be dangerously cold tomorrow...will the event still be held?

gotcha
Jan 30 2010, 12:52 AM
I haven't heard of a cancellation.

Dress warm, kiddies! :D

gotcha
Jan 30 2010, 11:03 AM
Well, it's 10:01 am and the wind chill has risen to -3 degrees!

I wonder how many players showed up for the DL monthly? I'm guessing 6....

:D

SCOTT
Jan 30 2010, 03:33 PM
Wrong. 7. It wasn't even cold.

mprestop
Feb 04 2010, 06:28 PM
What were the scores and who showed up in the 10 degree weather last week? I know Scott told me he won with a great round. Curious to see how everyone else fared in the awful weather.

gotcha
Feb 06 2010, 11:05 AM
The Knob Hill Monthly has been canceled.

(and it is extremely likely we will cancel the Moraine Monthly next weekend, February 14).

gotcha
Feb 09 2010, 08:35 AM
The Moraine Monthly has been canceled for the month of February.

SCOTT
Feb 09 2010, 02:22 PM
Anyone craving some action should go to the Beatty Park Ice Bowl. By the rules of the Ice Bowl it cannot be cancelled. No wimps! No Whiners! You can get the details from the PFDS calendar. www.pfds.org Also check out the new Am Credit and Club Inventory Buttons.

tistoude
Feb 09 2010, 03:34 PM
I am planning on going to Beatty Park this weekend. That course is kind of trecherous even in dry conditions, so this weekend is going to be a wild round.

RangerMer
Feb 09 2010, 03:37 PM
Why is the Moraine Monthly canceled?

kUrTp
Feb 09 2010, 05:07 PM
Cause Jerry said so...

SCOTT
Feb 11 2010, 07:26 PM
I have not been out there but If we were to play, somebody might have to dig up the baskets. Snows Deep!

gotcha
Feb 12 2010, 09:18 AM
Anyone jonesing for some disc golf tourney action should consider tomorrow's Ice Bowl in Steubenville, OH:

The Chill in the 'Ville

http://beattyparkdiscgolf.com/Events...urnaments.html (http://beattyparkdiscgolf.com/Events_and_Tournaments.html)

SCOTT
Feb 14 2010, 07:15 PM
Well the Steubenville Ice Bowl “The Chill in the ‘Ville” was possibly the best I have been to so far this year. Tee pads were shoveled out and paths were also shoveled for walking to the next tee. There were spotters on almost every hole. Good food afterwards and an excellent raffle after the meal. Some of the prizes at the raffle included some gift cards for some high end restaurants in the Pittsburgh area, Wal-mart, and some nice penguin’s tickets. The only thing that detracted from the event was that we didn’t play the original lay out. It was a lot of work clearing out the road to the pavilion and front nine from the snow and downed trees. I had never played the course so this was a little disappointing. The back nine would have been some tough playing, but to me… That’s an ice bowl. No Wimps! No Whiners! Overall they did a very good job. I don’t think anyone lost a disc, and the snow was less than a foot deep. Mike Cienkowski came in third, Tim Stouden came in second, and Ron Hosek won shooting 2 under. All Pittsburgh players!

kUrTp
Feb 16 2010, 09:39 AM
What: An 18 Hole Charity Disc Golf Tournament!
When: Saturday February 20th, 2010
Where: The Seth Burton Memorial Disc Golf Complex - Main Pavilion
Why: To raise money for the Fairmont Soup Opera and Have Fun!

Entry Fee: $20 (includes a custom stamped golf disc!
(First 50 registered receive an Ice Bowl stamped disc)
$1 Mulligans available, 18 max, can use only 1 per hole

Sign in from 8:00 am - 9:00 am/Tee-off at 9:30 am/Free Chili Lunch
Trophies and **Grab Bag of Wonderfully Cheap Gifts
Ice Bowl and Disc Golf related merchandise available
All proceeds benefit the Soup Opera

~This Year's Specials~
Raise $50 in charitable donations get 1/2 price entry!
Raise $100 in donations and get in free!!
Discatcher Traveler Basket for most donations raised (+$140 value!!)

Optional 2nd round on Orange Crush to determine the Ultimate Ice Bowl Warriors!

kUrTp
Feb 16 2010, 09:40 AM
I'm going, they might have a little less snow on the ground than we do. Anyone else thinking of making the trip?

tistoude
Feb 16 2010, 11:54 AM
My wife and I will be there. I think some of the Butler Boys are coming also. East Liverpool (Thompson Park) is having and Ice Bowl on Sunday if you would like to do a double header.

SCOTT
Feb 16 2010, 01:14 PM
It looks like Gibby and myself will be at both events.

gotcha
Feb 19 2010, 10:24 AM
Click the following website links for more information regarding these regional events:

Sat 2/20 ~ Fairmont Ice Bowl (Fairmont, WV)
http://www.wvdiscgolf.org/

Sun 2/21 ~ Thompson Park Ice Bowl (East Liverpool, OH)
http://www.thompsonpark.org/DiscGolf/discgolf.html

gotcha
Feb 26 2010, 09:08 AM
From the desk of Paul Ashmore:

"No wimps, no whiners, it's on!"

$15 singles round
$25 singles & doubles
Includes lunch

Raffles and the whole shebang.(?)
Registration is 9-10.
Round one 10:30
Lunch and awards immediately after.
Doubles no later than 12:45.
Doubles should be over by 5:00.

Singles round will be contested on the short course. Doubles round will show who the real soldiers are as they will be playing the black course. :D

Sunday, Feb 28 ~ Deer Lakes Monthly

gotcha
Mar 03 2010, 10:02 AM
Knob Hill Monthly

Saturday, March 6
10:00 am Start
$10 Entry ($11 for non-PFDS members)

Reminder: Amateurs can redeem monthly credits toward PFDS membership ($10 annual; $80 Lifetime).

Click this link to view monthly am credits: http://www.pfds.org/AmCredit.html

mprestop
Mar 03 2010, 08:44 PM
Has anyone been to knob lately? What's the course like? I was up at Schenley last night and there were many large trees limbs down from all of the heavy snow.

SCOTT
Mar 04 2010, 12:00 AM
When we had a brief thaw back in January I moved a bunch of pins to A position. Things have been starting to thaw and Saturday is supposed to be decent. You should come out, Knob hill is always a good time.
1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A, 6B, 7A, 8A, 9C, 10A, 11C, 12? I must confess, I forget the rest.

mprestop
Mar 04 2010, 03:45 PM
I'll be dat, barring unforeseen circumstances - also plan on going to the meeting

dextamuggins
Mar 05 2010, 05:02 AM
i have to work so gonna miss the playing, but what time does the meeting start and where are we meeting? thx in advance...

gotcha
Mar 05 2010, 09:24 AM
From the desk of Secretary Sid:

PFDS Board Meeting

There will be an open PFDS board meeting following the Knob Hill Monthly this Saturday, March 6th at 2:00p at the Cranberry Comfort Inn. If you're interested in becoming more active in the club, please consider attending.

mprestop
Mar 07 2010, 10:13 PM
deleted

SCOTT
Mar 07 2010, 10:37 PM
Anybody want to go to Columbus on Saturday for March Madness? I have room for 1, maybe 2 more. FYI it is capped at 108 and 77 are already signed up. For more info check the PDGA schedule.

gotcha
Mar 09 2010, 09:30 AM
Polar Bear Doubles
Saturday, March 13 @ 8:00 am
Monroeville Park East
(see announcement on separate thread: http://www.pdga.com/discussion/showthread.php?p=1416051#post1416051)

Moraine Monthly (mixer)
Sunday, March 14 @ 10:00 am (Don't forget Daylight Savings: "spring" forward one hour!)

Attention Visitors:
Important Detour Information for North Shore Moraine State Park destinations.
March 9th 2010 through Early Fall
• Three Bridges on West Park Road will be closed beginning Tuesday, March 9th, 2010. This closure will impact
visitors departing the North Shore and add significant driving time to return south toward US Route 422 and
I-79
• Entry to the North Shore will only be available via US Route 422 West off ramp and Mount Union Road.
Visitors traveling on I-79 Northbound with a North Shore destination should exit at the Portersville/Prospect Exit
96 (Rt. 488) and follow signs to the South Shore and Rt. 422.
• To exit the North Shore and return to U.S. Route 422/I-79 the following detour is available. North Shore Drive
to West Park Road (S.R. 4007) to Cornelius Road to Reichert Road to West Liberty Road to West Park Road to
Rt. 108 to I-79 South
• Visitors staying in a rental cabin must check in at the South Shore Park Office. Cabin keys can be
dropped in a keybox at the cabin area exit upon check-out
• The bridges will be closed for the duration of the project. The anticipated project completion date for each is
September, 2010.

SCOTT
Mar 09 2010, 04:40 PM
Anybody want to go to Columbus on Saturday for March Madness? I have room for 1, maybe 2 more. FYI it is capped at 108 and 77 are already signed up. For more info check the PDGA schedule.

Nevermind. Looks like it filled. Go to Polar Bear Doubles and win the Penguins tickets!

gotcha
Mar 12 2010, 07:11 PM
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc184/gotcherj/Moraine%20State%20Park/MSPHole6March10.jpg (http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc184/gotcherj/Moraine%20State%20Park/?action=view&current=MSPHole6March10.jpg)

Folks, the Lakeview course at Moraine is absolutely saturated....like everything else in PA! And Saturday's rain isn't going to help. Expect sloppy conditions on Sunday! This week Gibby moved a few baskets to less-soggy pin placements and one hole has been moved to c-position where its never been before.....Hole 15! The good news is the Fly 18 pads will ensure every person has sure-footing on their drive. The bad news is the course is so saturated it will be a while before we're able to get the heavy machinery on site to finish back-filling the tees.

Remember the West Park road detour is now in effect so the drive home is 30 minutes longer (for those who live south of the park).
And remember to set your clocks forward one hour on Saturday night!

mprestop
Mar 15 2010, 01:12 PM
Anything going on this weekend?

sandalbagger
Mar 15 2010, 03:03 PM
Lori and I are coming back. If nothing official is going on, I'd like to get some people together for a round for sure.

We could play the new 9-hole course in Brighton or we could play Moraine or Deer Lakes. Whichever is less muddy.

SCOTT
Mar 15 2010, 04:04 PM
I would be up for Moraine or Deer Lakes. I was at Moraine yesterday and it wasn't super bad. 2 mile ext. is a bit far for me to travel for a 9 hole course. It is fun, but definately needs more grooming.

mprestop
Mar 16 2010, 01:40 PM
I'd put in a vote for Deer Lakes. I haven't been there yet this year, and the Moraine detour seems like its a real pain. However, the Ironwood is coming up so...

SCOTT
Mar 16 2010, 02:41 PM
How about IUP?

gotcha
Mar 17 2010, 08:07 AM
You couldn't pay me to play Deer Lakes or Slop Hill right now.

(Okay....I could be bribed, but it would take a significant amount of dough for me to play either of those muddy messes)

Scott and I played Moraine last night and we were both amazed at how much that course has dried up in the past couple of days. Lakeview rocks! :)

sandalbagger
Mar 19 2010, 10:22 AM
OK. Saturday at Moraine. 11AM.

$2 front 9
$2 back 9
$1 overall

Each player will play the tees that they will play for the Ironwood. Hopefully this will make it fair for everyone.

I would like to maybe cook out and make lunch, but I know that the entrance is still closed, so we will see.

Anyone interested.

mprestop
Mar 19 2010, 10:41 AM
I was in touch with Sid yesterday, and I think the two us are def. in. Not sure if Dave will be coming. He'll probably get in touch with you later.

mark

kUrTp
Mar 19 2010, 12:37 PM
I'd come but Alanna is playing in the VTI this weekend.

SCOTT
Mar 19 2010, 04:09 PM
The gate may be open. Tomorrow AM J.Gary, myself and possibly some others have to meet with some folks relating to the Pro Worlds event. Can we push this back till noon?

mprestop
Mar 19 2010, 10:36 PM
not up to me on the time...but...does anyone have a new drone or zone that they are willing to trade for. I have a bunch of star destroyers and other unthrown stuff (no roadrunners - i looked through my stuff again). I need a mid that is more stable than a wasp.

SCOTT
Mar 19 2010, 11:38 PM
gotta getta gator

mprestop
Mar 19 2010, 11:59 PM
I think i have a pile of those in dx run if you want them...pieces of junk :)

gotcha
Mar 24 2010, 09:32 AM
Deer Lakes Monthly

Date : 27 March 2010 (Saturday)

Event Description :

Open & Advanced play blue tees; all other divisions play white tees.

gotcha
Mar 26 2010, 09:25 PM
Deer Lakes Monthly

Date : 27 March 2010 (Saturday)

Event Description :

Open & Advanced play blue tees; all other divisions play white tees.

I am excited about playing Deer Lakes tomorrow. Alanna, Kurt, Scott Hartle and myself were the only ones to show up for the February monthly when there was still a foot or more of snow on the ground. We opted to play the red tees and I quit after only 7 holes! (they quit after 9)

The last round of 18 I played at Deer Lakes was during The Hunt last September. :p

SCOTT
Mar 27 2010, 09:19 AM
Ace/Eagle Pot? Has Gibby left anything in that one?

sandalbagger
Mar 31 2010, 11:12 PM
KB, Jen and I did some major drainage work at Knob today on holes 13 and 14. With a few more days of work, holes 13 and 14 will hopefully be draining properly and the holes should dry up nicely.

gotcha
Apr 03 2010, 09:53 PM
Heard it was a little windy in Canton, Ohio! :D

sandalbagger
Apr 05 2010, 11:46 PM
Knob Hill Doubles officially starts tomorrow. The ace pot carried over from last year, and I believe there is $400 in the pot with $300 in the reserve!

$5 to play. A pool and B pool to help make sure that we have fair tees. If two B-players end up paired together they get 3 strokes taken off of their total score.

Please come out to Knob Hill and support our league. It's gonna be a fun year.

Unofficially doubles started last week with 10 players showing up. We also had 3 women show up and play in doubles last week. Lori and I won with a -6.

mprestop
Apr 06 2010, 12:58 PM
I'll be at the knob doubles tonight with a wide range of PFDS discs and merchandise. Remember, players can use their disc credit earned at any of the monthlies or schenley league to purchase discs, merchandise, and even a PFDS membership (for those of you who haven't renewed/or those looking to join).

Either myself or Sid Olcott will also have on hand commemorative stamped Ironwood Open fundraiser discs (Nukes & Crystal Stalkers) for $20 each.

To view your credit on hand, visit this link http://www.pfds.org/AmCredit.html.

-mark

kUrTp
Apr 11 2010, 07:50 PM
Congratulations to Chris Deitzel for winning the first, and hopefully not last, Getty Heights Grand Championship of the WORLD. It was a close battle between him and Sid Olcott coming down to the last hole. With a 25 footer for birdie two, Chris sealed the ultimate prize...two expired gift certificates to blockbuster video.

Congratulations once again!!!

SCOTT
Apr 12 2010, 03:19 PM
With a Vibram putter!

sandalbagger
Apr 12 2010, 06:22 PM
NICE!!! I thought it was for the Intergalaxian Championship of the World. But that works for me.

What a fun time yesterday up at IUP. Those of you who didn't come, sure missed out on a great event and good fun.

gotcha
Apr 25 2010, 03:15 PM
How many people show up at Deer Lakes Monthly?

sandalbagger
Apr 25 2010, 06:21 PM
I think there were 12 of us?

gotcha
Apr 27 2010, 09:07 AM
Lots of options for this first weekend in May 2010:

http://www.pfds.org/eventcal/calendar.php?op=cal&month=5&year=2010&catview=0&wcal4ulogin=2948da51c51333efb0d7deb7caf6b883

:)

gotcha
May 03 2010, 12:05 PM
World's Biggest Disc Golf Weekend @Two Mile Run Ext.

Date : 8 May 2010 (Saturday)

Event Description :
Official opening of the Two MIle Run Ext course in Brighton Township, Beaver County.

A fun event for families, new and old players. NOT a tournament. Learn to play disc golf with clinics and lessons. Come out and play anytime between 10 am and 4 pm

Nominal entry fee gets a custom stamped golf disc and tee-shirt.

Click here for more info:
http://www.pdga.com/discussion/showthread.php?p=1420697

SCOTT
May 12 2010, 07:53 PM
Just checking in. It is 70 and sunny here in the LA area. GO PENS!!

gotcha
May 14 2010, 08:54 AM
For folks not planning to compete in this weekend's Hall of Chains Classic in Canton/Massillon, Ohio:

Moraine Doubles ~ Friday, May 14 (5:00 pm)

Moraine Monthly ~ Saturday, May 15 (10:00 am)

Click here to view the PFDS Event Calendar:
http://www.pfds.org/eventcal/calenda...d7deb7caf6b883 (http://www.pfds.org/eventcal/calendar.php?op=cal&month=5&year=2010&catview=0&wcal4ulogin=2948da51c51333efb0d7deb7caf6b883)

SCOTT
May 14 2010, 12:09 PM
Still 70 and sunny. I would like to say that big glowing mass is getting anoying but its not. Played a bit of disc golf yesterday. I woke up and headed to El Dorado Park. It has a decent rating on DGCR but it was alot like Ashtabula, but without any hills. Short, flat, some strategically place trees protecting the greens. Then I headed over to La Mirada. They have 2 courses, one goes around a lake. It is a very utilized park by non golfers. Some very nice scenery. I liked this course more than the prior, it had some decent elevation changes. After that I had some lunch, and loosened up in the pool. Then headed up to Oak Grove. It did not get the best reviews but since it is the first pole hole course installed in the world, I had to check it out. This course was amazing. Lots of huge old trees, low ceiling shots. My favorite course by far out here. I must say though I had great dificulty navigating due to the redesign of the course and no T signs. Stay on the fairway at all costs. Off the fairway is thick with some disc eating plants and bushes. After that I went to Sylmar ($2 pay course) showed up at 6 PM, only got to hole12 and got kicked out. This course was the better maintained than Oak Grove, but the folks wouldn't let you play through and I waited on every hole. Kind of lame, but the course was prettty cole. Don't think I will go back. The plan was to hit Twila-Reid last night since it is a 9 hole course under the lights about 2 miles from my hotel but i was disc golfed out believe it or not.

kUrTp
May 21 2010, 09:18 AM
So who's still planning on playing Deer Lakes tomorrow despite the high chance of rain in the afternoon?

SCOTT
May 21 2010, 02:59 PM
If I let a chance of rain dissuade me from playing, I would not ever get to play in this area of the country.

gotcha
May 24 2010, 08:33 AM
The only local event during this holiday weekend is Sunday Doubles at Two Mile Run Extension in Brighton.
Great 9-hole course if you haven't played it yet.

The Timberlink Open has been rescheduled for June 27 (same weekend as last year).

PFDS Event Calendar:

http://www.pfds.org/eventcal/calendar.php

gotcha
May 29 2010, 10:11 AM
The grass has been mowed and the course looks great at Moraine State Park.
This weekend is the 5-year anniversary of the Lakeview Disc Golf Course!
Concession stand is now open weekends. :)

On Monday (Memorial day), several members of the West Virginia Disc Golf Association will attack the slopes at Seven Springs Mountain Resort. The baskets are in and ready to be played. Anyone interested in hooking up with the Fairmont gang should plan to be at the mountain at 10:00 am.

gotcha
Jun 10 2010, 08:56 AM
Check out the PFDS Event Calendar for this weekend's action:

http://www.pfds.org/eventcal/calendar.php?op=cal&month=6&year=2010&catview=0

Morris Park (Fairmont, WV) is the place to be this Saturday (6/12).

Two Mile Run Extension is the local spot for random draw doubles on Sunday morning (6/13).
This is a great 9-hole course if you yinzers haven't played it yet.

Joshua_Smith
Jun 10 2010, 04:14 PM
Thanks Jerry - Both courses are in great shape. The baskets are in the longer "B" positions so, it should be great for challenging every aspect of one's game.

We also will have Junior Tee's on both course this weekend so, bring the youngerns' :-)

gotcha
Jun 16 2010, 09:15 AM
Moraine Monthly *mixer* is this Saturday, June 19.

Random doubles at Two Mile Run Extension is this Sunday, June 20 (Father's Day).

PFDS Event Calendar: http://www.pfds.org/eventcal/calendar.php

sandalbagger
Jun 17 2010, 02:54 PM
Saturday June 26th, 2010

2:30 - 9:30 PM.

Blueberry Hill Park in Franklin Park

Festival in the Park

This is a yearly event at Blueberry Hill Park with fireworks, games, food, music, etc. If you haven't heard yet, there is a new disc golf course being designed at Linbrook park which is only 5 minutes from Knob Hill. Franklin Park Boro has asked us to come to the festival to help spread the word about disc golf. Lori and myself will be setting up the PFDS tent along with the practice baskets to help spread the word about the course that we are working on.

We would love to have some people come out and help us spread the word about disc golf. There will be tons of other events going on all-day long. Come for an hour or all day. This will be a great way to get the local interested in the new course.

Thanks and hope to see some of you there.