Pages : 1 [2]

Feb 17 2005, 03:15 PM
Disc golf should be about equality and sharing...revamp the system for next year! Ideas?

I'm as far from an expert as you can get, but here are my thoughts on the whole Champ. Roc deal:

What about producing a limited number of a certain color or stamp for collectors and then running some other, generic stamp for the rest of the season? I understand that a lot of the reason they make a bunch of money is because they only run a limited number and are able to charge a bundle for them, but that does seem to make the discs inaccessible for a majority of the players out there. I'd like to be able to pick one up and try it out. Then if I like it I could buy a couple more as backups and if I lose one I would be able to get a replacement.

It seems to me that the rules governing how many discs are needed to be made for a disc to be legal are there to force manufacturers to make sure everyone has an oppertunity to have access to any given disc, but the number isn't so large that a startup company has to make more discs than they'll be able to sell. It seem to me that, while the cause is good, Innova is abusing this system to artificially drive up the price of this particular disc.

I'm sure that in the past the current system worked really well but as the sport gains popularity Innova may be losing out on a segment of the market who's willing to shell out $25 for a disc to support the USDGC, but not if they can't easily replace the disc they lost.

Again, I don't know if the idea of making one, small set for collectors and a constant supply for everyone else will work or not, but it seems like it's worth considering...and maybe you guys already have. ;)

After returning a 2003 Glow CE Roc to a fellow player, he rewarded me with two discs. A champ Orc, and a disc that I found to be the perfect subsititute for the rare CE Roc....A lighter Tournament Stamped Z-Wasp! It's crazy but it is true. I have had the opportunity to throw a 180g CE Roc. Nice and stable (sweet), and 178g is the weight of my normal Z-Wasps. I recieved this 170g tournament stamped Z-wasp which was perfectly flat, no dome at all. Well the flat top compensated perfectly for the weight difference and flew just like a CE Roc.

All the naysayers who state that the rocs are for a good cause, well I would rather give $25 to the USDGC, and get a disc that is more readily available, and replaceable.

sandalbagger
Feb 17 2005, 03:27 PM
its about rasing money. what other disc would bring in $25. Anyone who wants can buy one. I think it is the best fund raiser disc golf has ever seen.

keldog
Feb 17 2005, 03:49 PM
I have a 01 that's won me over 1500.00 in ace pots,ctp's and baskets(it lives on the wall now) and playing 51:Dpeople would close their eyes when i would let it go so they wouldn't see the ACE!Ask THE JEFF ASH he has seen like 5 to 6 of them.THANKS Jeff $$$ these are 5.00 dollar bills $$$

rhett
Feb 17 2005, 05:54 PM
I agree. I buy a few CFRs to support some tourneys throughout each year. I also like to get a few Rocs to support the USDGC. I have to get at least 2 CE Rocs each year because I only got 2 from 2002. Somewhere down the line I will trade for a 3rd 2002 so that I can have the 3 sets of all years. :)

gnduke
Feb 17 2005, 06:12 PM
Rhett,
Come on over to Am World Doubles, and we'll see what we can do.

rhett
Feb 17 2005, 06:24 PM
Can't do it. Going to Whistler for a week, plan on going East Coast later, and also going to Flag.

If Megan would've pointed out that Victoria Open tourney more than 21 days before we'd be on our way out there tomorrow morning. :(

rickb
Feb 18 2005, 03:08 AM
Rhett why don't you save your east coast trip for October. I've got a little A-tier I run the weekend before the USDGC. You could play a tournament then hang out in Rock Hill for the week of festivities and see what your fundraising dollars actually go to.

If money is tight I may even have an extra apartment I could loan you for the week. Only about 1/2 hour drive to Rock Hill.