Saucer Tosser
Jul 28 2013, 06:20 PM
If I after my first shot on #8 at Central Park Schenectady I am lieing 4 feet short of the basket, and I miss my next throw and the disc rolls down the hill and OB. So invoking the re-throw rule I return to my previous lie and add one for the throw and take one penalty stroke so I am now at 3. The rules do not say I have to count any penalty throws incurred on the throw I am re-throwing. Seems like I should though and I would be at 4.

Also this rule seems pretty weird and not in the spirit of play it as it lies. What is the purpose and origin of this rule?

jconnell
Jul 28 2013, 07:31 PM
If I after my first shot on #8 at Central Park Schenectady I am lieing 4 feet short of the basket, and I miss my next throw and the disc rolls down the hill and OB. So invoking the re-throw rule I return to my previous lie and add one for the throw and take one penalty stroke so I am now at 3. The rules do not say I have to count any penalty throws incurred on the throw I am re-throwing. Seems like I should though and I would be at 4.

Also this rule seems pretty weird and not in the spirit of play it as it lies. What is the purpose and origin of this rule?

If you are OB, you have the option of re-throwing from the previous lie regardless, so you're not even invoking the optional re-throw rule. Your example doesn't really make much of an argument here. Besides which, you ARE putting for four in this situation...original drive (1), missed putt that rolled OB (2), penalty (3), re-throw (4).

The optional re-throw was originally the unplayable lie rule which was originally the unsafe lie rule. The point of all three was to give players an out when their disc landed in a place from which they did not want to throw. And that out comes with a one-throw penalty.

Most instances in which it could be used to "override" another potential penalty, that penalty carries the option of a re-throw from the previous lie anyway...OB, lost disc, missed mando, etc. So it really isn't overriding anything. Most times when invoking Optional Re-throw, the shot that is being discarded isn't otherwise subject to penalty.