Fossil
Apr 17 2013, 09:47 AM
Dear friends

I sincerely regret to announce that my private course, Fossil Hill in Fall Branch Tennessee is closing after 13 years in operation. The lack of help with maintenance or donations to the course mowing fund so I could hire help has forced this decision. I am unable to continue to do 99% of the work taking care of the facility and my health (arthritis in my hands) does not even allow me to play anymore. Countless hours with a string trimmer and often twice weekly mowing has taken a toll on my body and spirit, especially this last 2 years. Going into another season of course work is more than I can bear.

I did enjoy meeting players and taking them on a first round tour of this farm course, thank you all for that opportunity. The early years were a true pleasure.

I have 18 DGA Mach V pole holes for sale with anchors. All the targets are in excellent condition and have an insert to hold a flag, I'll be putting the targets in storage and begin to bust the anchors out of the ground this spring and summer.

I would prefer to sell the course as a complete set.

PM me if interested or call.

Sincerely
John Whinery # 2957

superberry
Apr 17 2013, 01:45 PM
What's your price? I'm looking to start my own course as well as have a portable set of baskets we can install as trial courses for property owners. I'm very interested, and would like to see what we can work out. Shipping to Marquette MI may be an issue, but I could help you out by buying the whole set which will help myself and our club which has been growing like mad lately.

superberry
Apr 17 2013, 04:13 PM
oh, and dont worry or waste your time busting out the ground sleeves. If we can work something out it will be just as easy for me to order new sleeves, or weld up some portable bases.

drdisc
Apr 17 2013, 08:37 PM
John, I have heard good things about your course. Sorry to see it go like this.
I have a little of that arthritis too. I feel your pain. Good luck to you.

Fossil
Apr 18 2013, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the kind words Tom, everything has its' time and this was the time to make a change. A few days ago I started my first round of mowing and stopped near the #2 pole hole and sat for about 20 minutes thinking about the year's work to come ... then took the mower back to the garage and parked it.

It was a tough decision but the right one. I still will be involved with the sport for years to come I hope, both helping with the Lakefront club, our 28th lakefront Open is coming in a couple of weeks (can't believe that I started that event so many years ago) and helping with DiscGolfer magazine.

I got to meet some great folks over the years and am honored that a surprising number of HOF'ers like you are my friends.

Good luck to you and I hope our paths cross again. Just don't shake my hand too hard, those swollen joints .....
jw

ps sometime this fall I'm going to begin to sell my special discs, like the original wings and rings Rocs, both 21.2 and the 'new' 21.7 diameter, original hammers with the #7 hammer on them. When the originals went out of production I bought a box of each so I would have them to throw forever. Have Patent Pending Aviars and Aero's, including a pp aero with Lucky 8 hotstamp. For collectors there are some real gems in there.