Frolfer12
Feb 16 2013, 11:45 AM
The PDGA's recent response to discs that are manufactured over the maximum weight as listed in the PDGA technical standards stated that some of the Prodigy discs are "3+" grams overweight and are not legal. I have heard that the PDGA has a 3 gram weight tolerance for discs that are overweight, meaning that discs with a maximum weight of 175.1g are actually legal up to 178.1g. Is this correct? Can anyone point me to an actual document released by the PDGA that mentions the 3 gram weight tolerance? I have been searching for about an hour and haven't found anything official. I have a couple discs that I'd like to throw that are 1-2 grams over the listed max weight and I'd like to know if they are legal. I've heard discs can absorb moisture and therefore gain weight based on atmospheric conditions so one day they are legal and another day they are not. Any help would be great. Thanks!

steveganz
Feb 16 2013, 01:02 PM
PDGA Technical Standards - Manufacturers Guidelines (http://www.pdga.com/documents/pdga-technical-standards-manufacturers-guidelines)

Frolfer12
Feb 16 2013, 10:37 PM
I have already read this document and as far as I saw, it doesn't address a weight "tolerance" of any kind. The only statement about weight is:

(4) not exceed 8.3 g per cm of outside disc diameter

Did I miss something somewhere in this document?

jconnell
Feb 17 2013, 08:25 AM
I have already read this document and as far as I saw, it doesn't address a weight "tolerance" of any kind. The only statement about weight is:

(4) not exceed 8.3 g per cm of outside disc diameter

Did I miss something somewhere in this document?

You didn't miss anything. There is no weight tolerance of any kind. If there was, it would be in that document.

Frolfer12
Feb 17 2013, 02:24 PM
Ok, good to know. Is there any explanation for why the PDGA announcement about the overweight discs said "3+" grams. Was that simply stating that the weights listed on the discs were way off from their scaled weights?

jconnell
Feb 17 2013, 05:43 PM
Ok, good to know. Is there any explanation for why the PDGA announcement about the overweight discs said "3+" grams. Was that simply stating that the weights listed on the discs were way off from their scaled weights?

I think that's all it was. It's pretty rare that the PDGA has to do this (contact a manufacturer about potentially illegal discs) and even more rare that they make a formal announcement addressing it. It makes sense that they might want to emphasize that they're not nitpicking the new guys or anything like that. They had overwhelming reason to act on these discs if they were that far overweight.

Or they didn't find any discs that were just one or two grams over max and their announcement was simply a matter of being exact.

Starexcalibur
Feb 18 2013, 10:21 PM
I'm confused about the max weight being set at 174.3 grams. Companies like Innova and Discraft have been producing discs at 175 grams for years, some innova discs are even 176 or 180. Are these discs not approved for PDGA play?

If that's the case I'm going to have to replace almost every disc in my bag.

cgkdisc
Feb 18 2013, 10:31 PM
The max weight allowed depends on diameter. The max weight is set at 8.3 grams per centimeter of diameter. So a disc like the Roc at 21.7 cm has a max weight of 180.1 grams (21.7 x 8.3).