ERicJ
Jan 19 2013, 11:39 PM
If a non-PDGA member enters a Pro division at a PDGA sanctioned event and finishes in the money does he get paid cash -or-, like an Am, gets merch in lieu of cash.

If this non-member ends up getting/taking cash at the above event what does that do to his ability to enter Amateur divisions at future PDGA sanctioned events?

jconnell
Jan 20 2013, 08:16 AM
If a non-PDGA member enters a Pro division at a PDGA sanctioned event and finishes in the money does he get paid cash -or-, like an Am, gets merch in lieu of cash.

If this non-member ends up getting/taking cash at the above event what does that do to his ability to enter Amateur divisions at future PDGA sanctioned events?

Non-members don't get special treatment. If he cashes, he gets the same payout a member would have gotten in his place unless he chooses to take merch.

It also does nothing to his ability to play amateur divisions at future events. He's not a registered pro since he's, obviously, unregistered. And even if he was registered, pros can play am divisions in non-majors provided their rating is low enough.

bruce_brakel
Jan 21 2013, 04:55 PM

Non-members cannot enter PDGA tournaments. They have to pay $10 to be a member for the tournament.

Pablo77
Jan 25 2013, 04:13 PM
2.3 Reclassification
Professional to Amateur

Players registered with the PDGA as Professionals may petition the Tour Manager for reclassification back to Amateur.

Amateur to Professional

An Amateur wishing to change their classification to Professional may do so by contacting the PDGA office.

An Amateur player is automatically re-classified as Professional when the player has accepted cash while competing in a Professional division. Accepting prizes in lieu of cash payout or accepting money for winning an ancillary contest such as an ace pool, top-of-the-card round prize, or CTP contest does not cause a player to relinquish his or her amateur status.

Is it the case that if you are registered as an am and accept cash in a pro division at a PDGA tourney you are a pro from that point forward regardless of rating?

jconnell
Jan 25 2013, 04:18 PM
2.3 Reclassification
Professional to Amateur

Players registered with the PDGA as Professionals may petition the Tour Manager for reclassification back to Amateur.

Amateur to Professional

An Amateur wishing to change their classification to Professional may do so by contacting the PDGA office.

An Amateur player is automatically re-classified as Professional when the player has accepted cash while competing in a Professional division. Accepting prizes in lieu of cash payout or accepting money for winning an ancillary contest such as an ace pool, top-of-the-card round prize, or CTP contest does not cause a player to relinquish his or her amateur status.
Is it the case that if you are registered as an am and accept cash in a pro division at a PDGA tourney you are a pro from that point forward regardless of rating?

Yes, that's what the part you bolded means. The moment you accept cash in a pro division at a PDGA event, you relinquish your amateur status.

However, depending on your rating, you are still eligible to play amateur divisions even if you are a registered pro. The only events you are entirely barred from as a professional are amateur majors like Amateur Worlds and the USADGC.

PhattD
Jan 26 2013, 09:27 AM
The thing is with a non PDGA member accepting cash is there is no way for the PDGA to track it. For example non member John Smith Cashes in a pro tournament one week, and then next week John Smith signs up as an amateur with the PDGA. Is that the same John Smith or a different one? Now if new PDGA member John Smith shows up at the next tournament and want to play AM1 with a 980 rating and the TD recognizes him as the same John Smith that cashed in open at the previous tournament, can he force him to play Open? What if he claims to have an identical twin? It seems to me that until someone signs up for a # they are neither pro or am and it's up to the TD to keep an eye out for people trying to game the system. As far as I know TD's are in no way obligated to allow non PDGA members to play in a tournament. Once they sign up then the PDGA rules apply and nothing they did before matters.

cgkdisc
Jan 26 2013, 11:39 AM
However, players who played in PDGA events before they got a PDGA number many times want to get those events rated if possible. So "John Smith" has to decide if hiding from the Pro/Am issue is more important than getting the previous event added to their rating.

PhattD
Jan 27 2013, 01:32 PM
However, players who played in PDGA events before they got a PDGA number many times want to get those events rated if possible. So "John Smith" has to decide if hiding from the Pro/Am issue is more important than getting the previous event added to their rating.

Well, since John Smith is my imaginary creation, I already know he doesn't want his previous rounds rated.

Seriously though, what I was addressing was a player being able to register as an AM after cashing as a pro prior to joining the PDGA. the point of my post was that if a player wants to there isn't anything the PDGA can do to stop it.

cgkdisc
Jan 27 2013, 01:48 PM
It's not that big of a deal considering that even after having PDGA numbers and being current, Ams can play for cash in non-sanctioned events and leagues including PDGA sanctioned leagues.

jconnell
Jan 27 2013, 01:48 PM
Well, since John Smith is my imaginary creation, I already know he doesn't want his previous rounds rated.

Seriously though, what I was addressing was a player being able to register as an AM after cashing as a pro prior to joining the PDGA. the point of my post was that if a player wants to there isn't anything the PDGA can do to stop it.

That's true. But it's not like it's going to be a long-lived thing even if John Smith "gets away with it". If he's good enough to cash in a pro division, I can't see why he'd stay all that long in the amateur ranks. And if he's not good enough to cash in a pro division, perhaps that one instance before he joined was a fluke and shouldn't be held against him.

Besides, there's also nothing the PDGA can do if this registered AM plays all kinds of non-sanctioned tournaments in Pro and wins cash there either. The PDGA can only control what is under their purview. Before a player joins, he's not under their purview, simple as that.