lonhart
Jan 05 2013, 02:15 PM
I just read the new rule / policy about playing poorly on purpose or not finishing an event to avoid having the score counted towards your player rating. (http://www.pdga.com/ratings-manipulation-addressed)

What happens when a player is truly "tanked", in that they secretly drank or smoked (or whatever) A LOT in between rounds (usually since the first round was so bad), and then they just blow up due to lack of inhibitions and lack of caring. I've seen this, but mostly in non-sanctioned events, so perhaps it is not a PDGA issue. Having said that, I still see folks drinking and smoking illegal drugs at sanctioned events.

So, what happens when someone continues to play, but is in such an altered state, the end result is that the score for that round is inflated, and therefore it likely would not be counted in their rating (the assumption is the score is beyond the 1 or 1.5 std deviations used to toss score rounds out). The result is the same as intentionally throwing poorly, but in this case, the attempts could be construed as valid but just wholly impaired.

And to be clear, I have seen players 'wasted' in later rounds but if I did not witness them getting that way, I cannot bust them on drinking/smoking, since I did not see them doing it.

Any thoughts on this?
Thanks,
Steve

cgkdisc
Jan 05 2013, 02:43 PM
It wouldn't necessarily meet the stated requirements to apply an 888. However, the rule is essentially to cover unsportsmanlike behavior where manipulating your rating is just one aspect of that. Missing the round without notifying the TD is another aspect covered. I'd probably have no problem agreeing with the group that this egregious behavior qualified for 888 if they wished to assess it.

lonhart
Jan 07 2013, 09:04 PM
Hi Chuck,

"Beginning in the 2013 competitive season there will be a new result code, "888", that TDs will enter on the tournament report for the round score when players or the TD wish to report their consensus that a player clearly attempted to have their round dropped to protect their rating by either not completing a round or by padding their score with extra throws."

If someone was upset after playing poorly during the first round, and then decided to become intoxicated prior to the next round, I would posit that is clearly an attempt to drop their round. Especially if this person refrains from intoxicants when playing well.

If the intent of the rule is to avoid people taking actions to inflate their score, then this opens it up to a myriad of methods, other than taking extra throws. Someone (and I have seen both of these) may opt to play with their opposite hand or use only a putter for all throws.

I guess I am thinking about the ramifications of this rule beyond the overly simplistic scenario presented by the PDGA.

Cheers,
Steve

cgkdisc
Jan 07 2013, 09:32 PM
There were a few options considered with the new plan. The plan being tried in 2013 was more conservative with a nod toward sportsmanship and being a self regulated sport. As with a few other rules, those without sportsmanship can "game" them. Hopefully, others in the group and TD will be able to make decent judgments when the 888 is considered. The alternatives are more heavy handed but would curb the behavior even more. But they might also throw a few innocents under the bus. Let's hope this 2013 plan works out.

lonhart
Jan 08 2013, 01:38 AM
Thanks! I also hope it works!

JenniferB
Jan 09 2013, 08:03 AM
Is an 888 appealable? For example, if the late player was in a car accident on the way to the course and couldn't call because they were unconscious. Also, if the TD overheard players remarking that someone played all putter and over reacted (my highest rated tournament round was an all putter round).

lonhart
Jan 10 2013, 02:02 AM
Hi Jennifer,

I do not know about appeals.

In the case of your putter round being really good, the low score is, itself, proof that you were not tanking. I think any good round would argue against someone tanking on purpose.

Cheers,
Steve