John Hernlund
Nov 05 2012, 12:31 AM
I was curious to understand why PDGA rules ban smoking in majors, but that the smoking ban does not extend to tournaments that are held on courses where smoking is either forbidden by the property owners, or is outlawed by local laws (particularly on public land/parks)?

In places where parks depts are afraid that a disc golfer will burn down the forest, it would be nice if the TD could tell them that the PDGA rules governing the event forbid smoking whenever it is against the wishes of the property manager/owner/parks dept, and that a player not following the rule is severely penalized.

jconnell
Nov 05 2012, 07:58 AM
I was curious to understand why PDGA rules ban smoking in majors, but that the smoking ban does not extend to tournaments that are held on courses where smoking is either forbidden by the property owners, or is outlawed by local laws (particularly on public land/parks)?

In places where parks depts are afraid that a disc golfer will burn down the forest, it would be nice if the TD could tell them that the PDGA rules governing the event forbid smoking whenever it is against the wishes of the property manager/owner/parks dept, and that a player not following the rule is severely penalized.

It doesn't need to extend because the rules already cover activities which are against local, state, and federal law:
3.3 Player Misconduct
A. The PDGA adopts a strict policy of appropriate behavior and comments to the media. Any conduct deemed to be unprofessional is subject to disqualification by the Tournament Director, and may also be subject to further disciplinary actions from the PDGA.
B. Players are expected to behave in a professional and sportsmanlike manner while participating in a PDGA sanctioned event. Actions that are in violation of this conduct include but are not limited to:
(7) Activities which are in violation of Federal, State or Local laws or ordinances, park regulation or disc golf course rule. Directors are granted the discretion to disqualify a player based on the severity of the offending conduct. An official warning of disqualification may be issued by a director where appropriate.

Banned by law or ordinance equals banned from PDGA events in that locality.

MTL21676
Nov 05 2012, 06:04 PM
Exactly as posted above.

Here in Raleigh, our laws regarding smoking in public parks are rather interesting. Basically, it allows smoking in the parking lots but not in the actual park area.

I tell players that breaking the law is a DQable offense and that smoking in the park at any time is not allowed. However, smoking is allowed in any parking lot even during the rounds. So when the course passes any parking lot, it looks like the smoking area at the airport with all the smokers standing in those particular areas. It's a really weird rule but as long as the players are following the law - which they are - and my event is not an NT or major, it is the correct way to handle it.

I've never had the first issue with it.

wsfaplau
Nov 06 2012, 12:31 AM
Time for a new signature Robert.
May I suggest the dates of the 2013 Midtown Chropractic Raleigh Disc Golf Championships?
(hint, hint)

John Hernlund
Nov 06 2012, 03:13 AM
It doesn't need to extend because the rules already cover activities which are against local, state, and federal law...

Therefore, the smoking ban is effectively already extended to such cases, and in both cases is a DQ-able offense...good to know. Thanks!