eupher61
Aug 05 2012, 10:22 PM
What's the ruling on use of the Turbo Putt disc? I remember it was certified then withdrawn, but my wife just bought a brand new one with the PDGA APPROVED imprint. Since this was molded as such, is it legal to use?

Not that she's planning to play a tournament anytime soon, or will be turbo putting, but it's a moral question, I guess.

thanks!

keithjohnson
Aug 05 2012, 10:55 PM
They were all molded with PDGA approved in the mold, so everyone made and still available for sale will say that.

Current approved discs list is here: http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/PDGA_approved_discs_070212.pdf

eupher61
Aug 05 2012, 11:05 PM
Then, they're legal. I know they aren't on the current list, but they were molded as such. And are still being sold as such. My wife didn't know they were disapproved, and hoped to use it. Actually, it helps her normal putt a lot.

So, the question remains: Despite the fact they are not on the official approved list, they were molded as approved. What is the official status?

krupicka
Aug 06 2012, 12:53 PM
I believe the Turbo Putt was offered a one year grace period from when approval was rescinded. The are no longer an approved disc.

The link (not working ) was http://www.pdga.com/documents/2007/Turbo-PuttAnnouncement.pdf

Summary from that was:
- The Turbo Putt will lose PDGA approved status on 12/31/08.
- Requirements will be updated to state that any new submissions for PDGA approval must have a round outside edge.
- QuestAT has to remove "PDGA Approved" from the mold immediately.
- QuestAT forfiets the rights to sue the PDGA.

bruce_brakel
Aug 06 2012, 05:08 PM
Krupicka's recollections correspond to my own, for what it is worth.

keithjohnson
Aug 07 2012, 01:36 AM
Exactly what I said 3 posts ago. :)

61 said he knew it was certified and then withdrawn - but still thinks they're ok even when presented with evidence against that - are you originally from Norcal?

I have a brand new one as well as probably several hundred other people do - it still doesn't make them legal for PDGA play no matter WHEN you purchased it.

eupher61
Aug 13 2012, 02:31 AM
Keith,
thanks very much for the smart a$$ed reply. Yes, it is as you said earlier,
but the other information was greatly appreciated. It actually answered my question fully. Your original answer gave me nothing more than I already knew.

You, Keith, are among the few in disc golf I hope to never encounter again. Things like this are exactly why.

sheesh.

eupher61
Aug 13 2012, 02:34 AM
I believe the Turbo Putt was offered a one year grace period from when approval was rescinded. The are no longer an approved disc.

The link (not working ) was http://www.pdga.com/documents/2007/Turbo-PuttAnnouncement.pdf

Summary from that was:
- The Turbo Putt will lose PDGA approved status on 12/31/08.
- Requirements will be updated to state that any new submissions for PDGA approval must have a round outside edge.
- QuestAT has to remove "PDGA Approved" from the mold immediately.
- QuestAT forfiets the rights to sue the PDGA.
Thanks, Krupicka, and Bruce for the response. I somehow doubt this specific disc has been in stock for 4 years, so I wonder what's up. Interesting. I honestly don't remember, what was the rationale for rescinding the certification?

keithjohnson
Aug 13 2012, 10:37 PM
Keith,
thanks very much for the smart a$$ed reply. Yes, it is as you said earlier,
but the other information was greatly appreciated. It actually answered my question fully. Your original answer gave me nothing more than I already knew.

You, Keith, are among the few in disc golf I hope to never encounter again. Things like this are exactly why.

sheesh.

Sorry, but I responded to your smart *** reply with smart *** reply - saying you knew they were illegal - then saying they are legal because you just bought one legal is a pretty smart assed reply in my opinion - and by the way, I'm not really a person who looks for or cares about a fan club, but if i ever start one, I know I won't count on your donation. :)

Obviously since I am one of only about 6 people that still reply on the PDGA message board, if others elaborate and make things easier to understand, that is great, but my goal is to get the answer in the eaisest way possible and not clutter it up with pages and pages of exacrting wording that hundreds of questions on this website would take to answer.

If I show you where the answer is - you and maybe hundreds or thousands of others may read and learn - whereas if I tell you the answer you may never find out something else that you will stumble across by reading for yourself and then you'll ask another question that the supplied link could have answered if you had actually read it.

Hopefully this is a long enough typed post to make it look like I really said something important as it seems like short answers don't excite you enough whoever you are.

Keith

discette
Aug 14 2012, 03:22 PM
Thanks, Krupicka, and Bruce for the response. I somehow doubt this specific disc has been in stock for 4 years, so I wonder what's up. Interesting. I honestly don't remember, what was the rationale for rescinding the certification?

There are still hundreds of new and unthrown Turbo putters around. As a matter of fact, you can buy one right now at the Quest website for $14.99: http://www.questat.com/#page=page-2

FYI, Keith is a grumpy old grandmaster that doesn't care what you think of him. Now get off his lawn!!

keithjohnson
Aug 14 2012, 11:06 PM
There are still hundreds of new and unthrown Turbo putters around. As a matter of fact, you can buy one right now at the Quest website for $14.99: http://www.questat.com/#page=page-2

FYI, Keith is a grumpy old grandmaster that doesn't care what you think of him. Now get off his lawn!!

Suzette knows of whats she speaks! :)

Paul Taylor
Aug 16 2012, 10:40 AM

The rationale was that it the swirl underneath it gave the putter a grip advantage. In other words, it had several lips to grip. I have one, bought it just so that I could say that I had one, as a gimmick type of putter. AS others have said it was placed on the market about 4 years ago and had been approved by the PDGA. The PDGA then rescinded that approval and gave it a 1 year grace period to allow manufacturer some time to recoup some of their money.

Come down to my tournament and i will DQ you in a heartbeat for using it, an illegal disc. 802.01 E. pt2

Entirely too much time has been spent on this subject. YOU asked a question, ALL responses were the same and STILL, you question the legality of it.

And my asnwer is not a smarta$$ one, it is a pi$$ed one.

eupher61
Aug 17 2012, 02:58 AM
Paul, thanks for the explanation.

If you don't like the thread....DON'T READ IT, AND CERTAINLY DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME RESPONDING. You are pi$$ed because of your own actions.

I asked a specific question. The answer was not given until Krupicka replied. He gave the full information. I haven't asked that question again.

And, don't worry....the disc will not be used in one of your tournaments, nor any others. Your macho attitude shown here will keep me far away from your area. Please don't plan on playing in one of mine.

It should be obvious that I am tired of self-righteous bs from people. I will call it when I see it, but I expect to be called on it if needed, too.

And you wonder why so few participate here. Look in a mirror...funny that 2 from TX are all worked up over this.

keithjohnson
Aug 17 2012, 09:26 PM
And you wonder why so few participate here. Look in a mirror...funny that 2 from TX are all worked up over this.

Cool....... your geography is as good as your turbo putt disc. :)

When did the east coast become TX???

discndat
Sep 28 2012, 10:31 AM
The wrinkle in all of this is that the PDGA said Quest could not use "PDGA Approved". They do not. The newer molded ones say "Approved 6-5-07". Quest is following the ruling set down by the PDGA - they don't say "PDGA Approved". So, yes it does make it a tad confusing for people picking up the disc and seeing that, especially if they aren't fully immeresed in PDGA rules, approved discs, etc.