Yoduh
Jul 23 2012, 04:07 PM
I was wondering what people thought of this concept? I am building 2 courses at 1 complex. a Par 56 course with an SSA around 51 and a par 63 course with an SSA around 57. The lower price of these baskets is a nice feature but what really drives me to want to install them is the fact that I think they catch better than any basket on the market. I like the fact that the target is smaller. It looks way more impressive when somebody hits a 50 foot putt on them! Both courses have a ton of elevation changes and there is nothing worse than bouncing out of a basket and rolling down a huge hill so catching is at a premium. The Vortex and the Bentley's caught my eye but their pricetags are a tough pill to swallow. If there was $3,000 added to a tournament would any pro's not be willing to show up because they would have to putt on a Bullseye?

Karl
Jul 23 2012, 10:25 PM
People will do most anything for $3,000 ;)

Yoduh
Jul 23 2012, 11:12 PM
OK forget the 3 grand, (not that easy to do I know). I guess I wanna know what are the feelings of people that have putted on these cages and if they belong on a top notch course?

gvan
Jul 23 2012, 11:34 PM
They are maybe good for practice, but I can't see them as good on a course. Might as well set up tone poles.

You couldn't have a >C Tier sanctioned tournament on the course...

Yoduh
Jul 24 2012, 02:11 AM
I guess I want to know what people think who have actually putted on these baskets. They are PDGA certified. I play an "A" tier every year in Montana that has Discatcher Sports. These baskets catch better than high end Disc catchers. If I can play an "A" tier on Sports I can throw an "A" tier on Bullseyes. I have one experience putting on these baskets. A group of 10 people putting in a circle at the Beaver State Fling. for about 45 minutes. Everybody was putting all at once and even then discs weren't bouncing out. I saw 4 bounce outs in 45 minuts. All were when two discs met at the exact same time in the chains. I know they have set guidelines on what level of play each target is reccomended for. I looked on this sight and I couldn't find it. Anyone know where it's located?

Yoduh
Jul 24 2012, 02:31 AM
Comparing the Bullseye to a tone is the akin to comparing a Huffy to a Corvette.

bruce_brakel
Jul 24 2012, 11:23 AM
I've never putted on one. They have a basket. They cannot be worse than a standard Discatcher. Why would you care whether pros would want to play on them anyway? Why worry about 1/10th of 1% of the disc golfing public?

Karl
Jul 25 2012, 01:25 PM
The funny thing is that it really shouldn't matter one iota! ANY type of targets used in a tournament have to be played by all persons equally so the relative scores probably won't matter much at all. Where you WILL get a lot of grump'in is from players who THINK they're not good (or as good as others) putters and somehow would feel they're at some disadvantage. And/or those that are "speed putters" - relying on a fast putt...and thus the chains to stop the disc - and not the "loft putters" who rely on (moreso) the actual basket to catch the disc.
I say (but of course it's not my money) 'go for it'.
And it would have the added benefit of adding into the "golf concept" of touch more than we presently do now (which is power drive, spike hyzer approach, zing a 40'er at 50mph and hope the chains hold it).

Karl
Ps: Actually, I'd love to try such a tournament. But I'd probably be in the minority.

cgkdisc
Jul 27 2012, 11:48 PM
Bullseye baskets haven't been submitted for PDGA approval. If they were, I'm not sure they would be approved at the Championship level which is needed for A-tier and higher tournaments.

Karl
Aug 12 2012, 03:29 PM
Chuck,

In you opinion, why do you think they'd not 'pass muster' for "championship" (caliber) basket criteria? Is there some sort of empirical data based test (maybe for holding ability, etc.) which weeds the wheat from the chaff (regarding 'categories' of baskets) or is it a case of someone arbitrarily setting size specifications? Or something else?

Karl

cgkdisc
Aug 12 2012, 07:49 PM
Based on the current specs, Championship targets must have at least 12 outer chains and 6 inner chains. Plus, if the Bullseye uses the same basket as the Titan, then the gap size needs to be reduced to meet the 18 cm spec. The Titan was grandfathered with a 20cm gap before the specs dropped to 18cm.

Yoduh
Aug 15 2012, 03:53 PM
I don't understand how something like a 12- 6 chain assembly can make a basket a championship caliber basket. Pretty much guarentees that there is only one price for a top notch basket. EXPENSIVE! There should be some actual testing into how well a basket catches from all angles before it is considered championship. The number of chains is merely a number and does not predict how well a basket catches. I have looked all over for a list of all baskets and what they are cleared for. I have also played on sports at "A" tiers quite recently.

cgkdisc
Aug 15 2012, 04:03 PM
World Championships have been won on baskets with only one set of chains. The 12 - 6 minimum is an upgrade from that. All of the Championship targets currently in production have at least 10 inner chains. The specs are about targets having similar dimensions, construction and configuration, not about catching ability. There's currently no suitable test for catching ability and I doubt we'll see one since there are too many variables.

Have you reported to the PDGA that Sports were used at an A-tier? That's the only way the PDGA can follow up with TDs not following standards.