benbraly
Jul 11 2012, 01:17 PM
Why do so many pros putt with cheap plastic avairs? i see no one the innova team putting with champion or star. what's up w/ that?

jconnell
Jul 11 2012, 01:56 PM
Why do so many pros putt with cheap plastic avairs? i see no one the innova team putting with champion or star. what's up w/ that?

I'd say it's part personal preference and habit and part that there's no real advantage to putting with premium plastic. The advantage of using champion/star drivers is durability and consistency. The champion or star disc you use today is going to fly pretty much the same six months from now. Or at least a lot closer to the same than a DX driver would after six months of use. With star/champion, you don't have to rotate new drivers/mids into your bag as often as you would with DX, so there's also a cost factor.

With putters, there's a lot less wear and tear for the disc to endure. And even so, putting is typically from short enough distances that the difference between a beat DX putter and a brand new DX putter is negligible most of the time. Since a DX putter is going to stay viable longer for most players, the cost advantage of using star/champion is negated to a large degree as well.

And then there's the grip factor. I've always found champion and star plastic to be too slick and sometimes too rigid to be an effective putting disc for me. I don't think I've ever tried to putt with one and liked how it felt in my hand. If I don't like the feel, I'm never going to putt effectively with it. Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of those pros feel the same way.

kadeatkinson
Jul 11 2012, 02:02 PM
DX is not cheap plastic, its just less expensive and has more grip to catch the chains. Champ/star is toooo slick to stick.

cgkdisc
Jul 13 2012, 02:08 AM
Beat up DX is less stable. I believe good putters prefer putts that stay level during flight, whether push putts or straddle, and don't hyzer off even a little. This seems to be easier to develop with DX putters than Star or Champ.