Sharky
May 07 2004, 10:24 AM
I would like to get others opinions on an ace pot scenerio. Druid Hill has a weekly best (choice) disc triples every Thursday night. $3 entry + optional $1 ace pot. The ace pot was over $250 recently but it was cleaned out a couple of weeks ago when a player who had put in the buck hit an ace. Last night two teams tied at -17 and went to a sudden death playoff. On hole 2 a player hits an ace! The same player who hit the ace pot ace two weeks earlier!! End of playoff, and the ace pot was paid to the acee. My question should an ace pot be paid out if hit during a play off?

May 07 2004, 10:34 AM
Absolutely!!!!

May 07 2004, 10:43 AM
No. Don't pay out the ace in a playoff. Not everyone is in a playoff, so it shouldn't be paid out.

Sharky
May 07 2004, 10:50 AM
Everyone had the chance to be there.

aerohead
May 07 2004, 10:57 AM
The sarasota skypilots don't pay it out in playoff for the reason above. I know first hand.
three way playoff for the last money spots. the card on hole two went 1, 2, 3.

coda_hatfield
May 07 2004, 10:58 AM
I would that would be unfair to everyone else because you get to play more holes that everyone else and have more chances at an ace. So no they should not get the ace money because it was not during the actual round. :confused:

prairie_dawg
May 07 2004, 10:58 AM
I agree with Jim. If everybody is not playing, the Ace pot is off the table in my events. Final Nine Aces do not count towards getting the Ace pot unless all players are in the final nine. :D

Set the rules up front and stick by them. :cool:

If no rules on Ace pots are discussed then it is totally open to controversy later.

Jake L
May 07 2004, 11:11 AM
We do NOT pay aces in playoffs,
first, we generally play a different set of pads for playoffs,
second, not everyone is in playoffs
third, The playoff is to determine winner, not part of score!

exczar
May 07 2004, 02:55 PM
I also am of the opinion that you do not pay out for aces not shot during regulation play, and a playoff is not regulation.

seewhere
May 07 2004, 03:06 PM
NO

axldog
May 07 2004, 03:11 PM
I would say YES! IMO, a playoff or final 9 are still part of the tournament round, and should count towards the ACE pool.

prairie_dawg
May 07 2004, 03:28 PM
Steven,

What tourneys do you run. I want to play in those as long as I make the finals :D:cool:

gang4010
May 07 2004, 03:31 PM
Sharky - IMO - the naysayers are most correct. Ace pots should be awarded for play during a given number of holes that EVERYBODY gets to play. Giving it out for playoffs gives a select few extra chances - and it's not very fair. One solution may be to have a consolation ace prize under those circumstances - $20-$30 bucks maybe? Or perhaps 10-20% of the ace pot?

There is certainly room for creative awards under such circumstances. But you should strive to have the ace pot available to everybody for the same # of holes.

gnduke
May 07 2004, 03:33 PM
No.

Ace pot should be decided in regulation play by all concerned parties.

We recently had a rare occurance in TX where there were flighted Ace pots. Only one flight hit their Ace pot, the other flight donated their pot to the other flight Ace pot winner during the awards ceremony. By popular vote.

axldog
May 07 2004, 03:41 PM
What do you guys do if someone ACEs a CTP hole? Do they get both the ACE pot & the CTP prize?

exczar
May 07 2004, 03:45 PM
It depends where the ace disc winds up in the basket. A leaner on the ground is touching the pin. An ace disc may not be, therefore the leaner is truly "Closer to the Pin".

But, usually, an ace is considered as close as you can get, and cannot be tied (or beaten) by a disc that did not ace.

Moderator005
May 07 2004, 03:51 PM
It depends where the ace disc winds up in the basket. A leaner on the ground is touching the pin. An ace disc may not be, therefore the leaner is truly "Closer to the Pin".

But, usually, an ace is considered as close as you can get, and cannot be tied (or beaten) by a disc that did not ace.

That is absurd. If someone won a CTP because their disc was on the ground touching the pole while my disc was an ACE that ended up in the basket but not touching the pole, I would scream bloody murder.

May 07 2004, 03:52 PM
This is not a PDGA event. This is a local event which has been running for what...15 years? Before, there would only be about 20-30 people on a good week. This is a completely casual event. It has gotten larger over the years. There are NO RULES TO DATE REGARDING THE PAYOUT OF THE ACE POT. Therefore, until rules are made and agreed upon, there is no question on whether he should have been paid or not. Just because some of the bigger guns could not ace either week does not mean that a player who does should be punished. Especially when he put his money in with everyone else. Make the rules then you can have this discussion.

Jake L
May 07 2004, 04:09 PM

That is absurd. If someone won a CTP because their disc was on the ground touching the pole while my disc was an ACE that ended up in the basket but not touching the pole, I would scream bloody murder.

The person who aces a CTP hole, will grab the mark, put down their name, and write ACE next to it! Anyone disputing this would be run out of town on a rail! But I agree with the logic that a leaner could be "closer to the pin" than an ace.

neonnoodle
May 07 2004, 04:15 PM
Jim's right. It should only be for rounds where everyone has a chance at it, kind of like sidebet pools.

*Unless it's like DE that pays $100 for each ace during PDGAs! Schweetizzle!!! :)

gang4010
May 07 2004, 05:07 PM
Big Papa - sorrydude - I think years and years of (for the most part) standard ways to award ace pots governs here (or should). Ace pots should be for everybody playing the same number of holes period. If you want to give a prize for an ace during a final, or a playoff - fine - it should be a special condition sort of prize. But getting more shots than the field to ace - and then getting paid for it sets a bad precedent.

May 07 2004, 05:58 PM
This just happened to me. Ace on the only CTP during league play and as chance would have it, I had donated the CTP prize that week.

BTW this was also my first ace.

ozdisc
May 07 2004, 06:06 PM
We have a situation here in Texas where one designated hole is worth a large amount while all the other holes are the normal ace pot. If a player hits the big ace on that certain hole then they get the big money but not the other paid in money. If they want both then they are extremley greedy. The reason for this...

The big ace is worth <font color="red">$25,000 </font> :D

rocknrog
May 07 2004, 06:26 PM
Ace pots are for aces during an event, playoffs are during the event, pay out the money.... reward the good shot! GEZ!

dannyreeves
May 07 2004, 06:30 PM
I disagree because nobody else had a chance to throw that hole.

exczar
May 07 2004, 07:18 PM
I knew my answer would ruffle some feathers. Not exactly a troll, but had a similar effect.

Moral: TD needs to state that an Ace is better than any other shot for CTP, and what is the probability that someone would get an Ace then someone would get a leaner? More likely that 2 people would get aces (oh no, which ace is closer to the pin ?!? :D)

May 07 2004, 11:08 PM
I say nay as well.

hawkgammon
May 07 2004, 11:44 PM
I'm in the minority here in that I agree that Matt should have been paid. Ex. If a football team has three overtime games a year, and a running back rushes for an additional 150 yards in those three overtime periods, those stats count towards his yearly total. The OT is considered part of the game as was the regulation time. A playoff in a tourney would seem to be the same thing. Whatever happens counts.

Either way Jake/Paul need to formalize this whole Ace Pot deal since it has grown bigger, and Matt's killing it.

Pizza God
May 09 2004, 03:15 PM
I recently ran a 4 round tournament with a cut for the final round. I made it clear at the players meeting that to win the ace pot you had to ace in the 1st 3 rounds. Any aces in the final 18 holes would win you a WTG and a pat on the back.

(there was only one ace durring the tournament. James McCain won $570 for his blind ace :D

May 10 2004, 02:37 PM
HELL NO!!!

Unless everyone who had joined the acepot, said it was OK, it should not be payed out, in a friggin playoff.

May 10 2004, 11:04 PM
geez Sharky can't you just start a poll? Or do you need an excuse to use your abucus to tally the results :p Hey Hawk can you show this guy how to start a poll?

BTW, I say Nay

Jeff_LaG
Apr 20 2007, 12:40 PM
This question came up again recently.

DreaminTree
Apr 20 2007, 03:15 PM
No way. Then you could just intentionally tie on every playoff hole to get another shot at an ace. I announce before every one of our playoffs that aces do not count.

Flash_25296
Apr 20 2007, 03:28 PM
I would like to get others opinions on an ace pot scenerio. Druid Hill has a weekly best (choice) disc triples every Thursday night. $3 entry + optional $1 ace pot. The ace pot was over $250 recently but it was cleaned out a couple of weeks ago when a player who had put in the buck hit an ace. Last night two teams tied at -17 and went to a sudden death playoff. On hole 2 a player hits an ace! The same player who hit the ace pot ace two weeks earlier!! End of playoff, and the ace pot was paid to the acee. My question should an ace pot be paid out if hit during a play off?

What was the playoff for? Was it to determine who got first place cash? If there was a tie at second would they have an opportunity to playoff for a crack at the Ace Pot? If you are going to reward an ace in a playoff then anyone who tied in the money should be playing off!

Jeff_LaG
Apr 20 2007, 03:30 PM
No way. Then you could just intentionally tie on every playoff hole to get another shot at an ace. I announce before every one of our playoffs that aces do not count.

If it was obvious that two doubles teams (or two players in a singles competition) were colluding to tie on every playoff hole so that they would have a chance for ace on the next hole, then the TD or whoever was running doubles could disqualify them for cheating.

paerley
Apr 23 2007, 09:00 AM
I don't believe 'strategy' is cheating. There are cases where I've thought about missing a putt to not have to throw first on the next tee pad because of the wind and considering the fact that knowing what the wind is doing could save me 2+ strokes on the next hole. 'Intentionally' not winning a playoff could be considered a legitimate strategy, however poor it may be.

I do agree either way, that an ace in a playoff isn't worth anything, and this happened yesterday during the playoff for first in Advanced at the CCR Open. The guy that won it did so with an Ace on what I believe is 18 on the permanent course at Grand Woods in Lansing. We all still threw off for the ace in one of the most fun(although slightly dangerous) shots I've played.

warlocks00
Jun 15 2012, 12:54 PM
I have a question about Ace Pots, and how they should be handled on 2 different circumstances.

1st one is, is there anyone out there that limits the amount of Ace Pot payout to non-memebers of the local club? As it is now with our club, anyone who pitches in for the ace pot that night is eligible to win the entire ace pot. Some club members involved with our minis think that should not be the case. So I told them I would post on here to get a general idea of what people across the DG community do and feel.

I have heard rumors some clubs only allow 50% of the ace pot to be paid out to non-current local club members. What are some opinions on this? Or should it be you pitched in you got the same chance as everyone else to hit it...anyone should be eligible for 100%.

The 2nd part of my Ace Pot question has to do with a Cali Ace. Luckily this has never happend to date, so we've never had to make a full on decision about this. But there has been plenty of discussion about it. Some feel that a cali ace should not count as they feel having 2 chances at the ace is unfair. The counter to that is the person playing cali did not choose to play cali, and truthfully probably has an unfair chance of winning the mini(of course depending on the player). Some feel you should have the option of pitching in a second time for the cali throw to count. Some feel that no matter what the cali throw should not count.

I'd like to hear some opinons about both of these circumstances, so I have some arguments for all sides to present to the board at our next meeting.

Thanks in advance for the input!

oldman wallis
Jun 15 2012, 01:33 PM
Our club caps the ace pool at $150.00, then starts another one. We have had as many as 6 capped. Any one who puts in their $1 can win a capped one. We have had as many as 3 hit on one league round. If none are capped, the ace gets whatever is in the pot.

araydallas
Jun 21 2012, 07:39 PM
Two opinions:

First on the ace pot. One solution is to simply have two levels -- Club Ace Pot and Daily Ace Pot. Those who pay in to the club have their funds continuously roll into the club ace pot. That one accumulates from week to week until it's hit and then re-starts. Then those who just show up for the day, they only pay into the daily -- unless they choose to pay into the club membership on that day. We do allow them to join the club that day, and if so they are bought into both ace pots. If someone who's not a member of the club hits an ace that day, then they get the $1 per person who showed up today (the daily ace pot), while the club ace pot continues rolling. Of course if a club member hits it, he/she gets it all.

I do know some that don't like it that way but here's how it came about. About a couple years ago we have one club who didn't cap their ace pot, had two minis per week, AND didn't have club/daily separated. Weeks and weeks went by with no one hitting it, and by the end of the summer it was up to over $1600 bucks and people were driving in from out of town, and/or across town skipping their local minis, buying in to their mini just to take 18 drives at the ace pot -- not all of them even playing to win. It defeated the spirit of why we play and why we have minis. Now if you cap your ace pot and today�s pay-in helps build for the next ace pot (like some other clubs around here do) I can see allowing everyone who plays the mini that day an equal chance at the whole thing.

On the cali for doubles, around here we play that they have to put up two "ace-pot entries" for a second shot off the tee to count toward the ace pot. Philosophically here's why. #1) the word "ace" in and of itself will always be misleading, especially in disc golf where we hit far more than in ball golf. It's supposed to be a "hole-in-one" pot. #2) It should be just like when we don't count tee-off mulligans toward the ace pot either. Our club sometimes sells up to two or three mulligans to help raise funds for other clubs or Texas tournaments like the TX Women's DGC. But if someone uses their paid mull after a bad tee shot and the second one goes right in the basket, they DO get to mark a "1" on the scorecard, but it DOES NOT count for the ace pot because it was not a "hole-in-one." #3) True, they didn't choose to be cali, it was part of the draw; however, the cali also only paid one entry fee. So if your mini was say $10 draw dubs with $1 going to ace pot for each player, we WOULD allow the person who drew cali to throw in the other dollar to allow a second tee shot to count toward the ace pot. #4) We want it to be as fair as possible.

That's just some of the things we do.
Good luck with yours

Jun 22 2012, 11:11 AM
here in Oklahoma City we have a soft cap on our ace pots what that means is up to $200 everything goes into the ace pot after $200 has been reached we split it 50/50 so if the acepot is $200 and we collect $50 on a mini night the new acepot is $225 with $25 going into a carryover pot.if we fill the carryover to $200 we will start a 2nd using the same 50/50 method.so the original acepot will continue to grow but at the same time were building the next pot.
we dont seperate club members from non-club members as far as who can win the pot now but there has been talk of using a daily pot for non-members as we have people that flock to get a chance at a big acepot that wouldnt normaly show up
also our acepots are not combined we have a seperate pot for each mini
as far as cali players or mulli aces..we pay half the pot for a mulli ace and only pay for the first throw on cali unless you pay a complete second entry then you get paid on either.

No matter how you do it someone will not like it ..my advise "be upfront with the rules to your acepot or mini they may not like it but they knew before they signed up"

araydallas
Jun 26 2012, 05:01 PM

And on the OP, this goes back to what I said earlier...and what I learned in every sport I have officiated. The definitions are the most important part of any set of rules. We constantly use the word "ace" to mean "a hole-in-one." To me, a "hole-in-one" is the first shot of the tee during regulation play. Therefore, any "ace" in a playoff hole should not pay the ace ("hole-in-one") pot.

In my answer above about the cali, we do allow the cali to pay in two ace-pot entries, so he's like two players playing as one. Similarly it would not be fair for 80-something+ players to get 36 shots at an ace pot, and 1 or 2 or 4 players to get 37 or 38 shots at an ace pot.

stevenpwest
Jul 05 2012, 01:50 PM
There's a myth that someone who puts on their first dollar this week has an advantage over someone who has been paying in all year. Those first-timers are more likely to just increase the amount of the prize than to steal it. Enough more likely to make it fair.

If you want to be really fair, you would charge more for those who have a better chance of making an ace. Charge 900 rated players $1.00, then subtract (or add) 10 cents for every 50 points of rating.

850 = $0.90
900 = $1.00
950 = $1.10
1000 = $1.20

But, as you can see, $1 across the board is close enough.

pterodactyl
Oct 17 2012, 02:55 PM
Playoff aces do not count where I come from. Those are extra shots that most of the other players don't get to take.