Red Baron
May 31 2012, 03:16 PM
Hi all! I have been playing disc golf for years now, but I finally got my Amateur Membership and am ready to play a tournament!

My question is this: When I go to sign-up for said tournament, what division do I sign up for? Novice or Recreational? I have no current player rating with the PDGA, this will be my first event!

Thanks for whatever response!

krupicka
May 31 2012, 03:27 PM
One of the best ways to figure this out is to find a past tournament that has been played on a course that you play to get an idea of what you normally throw would be rated. In doing this though, you have to watch out for events that add extra holes, play different layouts, etc. Generally figure that you will throw slightly worse than normal. Playing tournaments is a different pace, is a little more mentally taxing, etc.

That said, don't worry too much about if you play MA3 (Rec) or MA4 (Novice) for your first event. Once you play your first event and can see how you performed, you'll know what to do for your next event.

btw because it isn't always obvious to players just starting out. Novice is a lower division than Recreational.

jconnell
May 31 2012, 03:30 PM
Hi all! I have been playing disc golf for years now, but I finally got my Amateur Membership and am ready to play a tournament!

My question is this: When I go to sign-up for said tournament, what division do I sign up for? Novice or Recreational? I have no current player rating with the PDGA, this will be my first event!

Thanks for whatever response!

Assuming you are familiar with the course the tournament is played on, you should be able to look up past results and see where your typical scores fit in. Either that, or contact the tournament director and ask him/her where your typical scores would fit.

Because you have been playing for years, I'd be hesitant to just say sign up for Rec or Novice and see how you do. Skill-wise you may be beyond those divisions even if you've never played a tournament before. While I don't think anyone would be too upset if in your first tournament you skunked the field because you chose to start at the very bottom rung of the ladder, you'd probably have more fun if you put yourself in a division in which you are competitive with your fellow golfers.

Red Baron
May 31 2012, 03:36 PM
Great, thanks for your help! I think I'll start Recreational and see how it goes. Unfortunately, I don't believe there has ever been a tournament on any of the three courses I play(ed). I play Wickham Park, F. Burton Smith, and Malabar Disc Golf Course (all in the Brevard County, Florida.)

jconnell
May 31 2012, 04:18 PM
Great, thanks for your help! I think I'll start Recreational and see how it goes. Unfortunately, I don't believe there has ever been a tournament on any of the three courses I play(ed). I play Wickham Park, F. Burton Smith, and Malabar Disc Golf Course (all in the Brevard County, Florida.)

Quick search of the PDGA Tournament Results yields this tournament (http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/78064) held at Wickham Park in Feburary...pretty sure that's one they've been running for years and years. And according to fabflatour.org (http://fabflatour.org/Courses/Melbourne/Events.php), there are weekly handicap and doubles events at Wickham as well. Fabflatour.org also has tournament history going back about 10 years or so. There should be plenty of stats to look at for courses you've played.

Check out that site and for sure try to hit up one of those weeklies at Wickham. Seems the best way to find people in the know in the area and also figure out just where you fit competitively.

Red Baron
Jun 01 2012, 10:25 AM
Thanks j!

Red Baron
Jun 01 2012, 10:27 AM
Wow...maybe I should just join the open bracket :P Those are some serious scores there!

bruce_brakel
Jun 04 2012, 01:12 AM
Compared to the 90% of players who don't play tournaments, Rec players are far better players than the name would imply. My wife has been playing Novice level golf recently, and when she is playing our local nine holer, the casual golfers are pretty impressed.