slkfis
May 29 2012, 08:18 PM
Hi All,

I am new at this game and starting late in life. I have watched enough videos to wear out a pair of glasses and I still don't get it.

I tried to learn the reach back method and have no clue as to where it going and no distance to brag about.

Lately I have been reading about Dave Dunipace's Bent Elbow Techniques along with the Blake T's articles. I beleve this will suit my old body best.

My question is, having watched the Dan Beto video, is this what is considered the Bent Elbow way?

I have tried it the last couple of days and my arm and shoulder felt better in the morning than before.

I would also appreciate any tips to throwing straight this way.

thxs
slkfis

"old enough to know I don't know"

davei
Jun 03 2012, 06:11 PM
Hi All,

I am new at this game and starting late in life. I have watched enough videos to wear out a pair of glasses and I still don't get it.

I tried to learn the reach back method and have no clue as to where it going and no distance to brag about.

Lately I have been reading about Dave Dunipace's Bent Elbow Techniques along with the Blake T's articles. I beleve this will suit my old body best.

My question is, having watched the Dan Beto video, is this what is considered the Bent Elbow way?

I have tried it the last couple of days and my arm and shoulder felt better in the morning than before.

thxs
slkfis

If your hips are still good you need to throw from your hips. Slightly bent knees to incorporate your glutes, which are very powerful throwing muscles. Reach your elbow back and wind your torso, as you shift your weight from left hip to right, then use your arm as a whip, as your weight shifts to your front foot. Your wrist should slam to a steely stop, which will eject the disc from your grip off your finger pads. You should then be forced to step through and beyond your plant foot, by the momentum of your whip. If you do not step through, you are probably not whipping forward enough. The symptom for this is lack of power, high shots, and hyzering out.

For right handed backhanders the sequence is: left hip, push off to right plant foot as the elbow goes back and torso winds back, when right foot comes down (and not before), the arm whips forward as your momentum shift to your right hip and torso begins to wind out. Whip ejects disc from steely stiff wrist as torso continues to wind out at maximum force during disc ejection. If whip was sufficiently forward and powerful, you will be pulled forward and have to step through with your left foot to stop your momentum.

Same sequence reversed for lefties and almost identical for righty sidearm.

Karl
Jun 05 2012, 09:43 AM
slkfis,

As someone else who is "up there in the experience department" I've found that diversity (in shots) IS the spice of life! Don't be afraid to experiment (ALL different types of shots, grips, and discs) and use whatever works FOR YOU.

As for your quote of "...and have no clue as to where it going", don't forget the forehand shot! While bh may end up eventually giving you more distance, the fact that in the forehand you're looking directly at your target aids you in potential accuracy. It's like skipping a stone on a pond or tossing a ball to a youngster - you're usually pretty accurate with those shots and you'll also be accurate with this sidearm in dg. Forehand approaches are under-utilized in dg IMO. Just "work into it" (read: don't throw them for distance until you've built up the arm strength over time) and find a grip that allows for a clean release; the distance WILL come.

Karl

davei
Jun 05 2012, 10:42 AM
Hi All,

thxs
slkfis

Sorry, I neglected the aiming mechanism. When the wrist stops, the disc is ejected. This is the point you aim from. This is your concentration point. This is also your shot set up point. You set your shot up from here back, not from back to front. Remember, your wrist is stopped, but the disc is ejecting and your arm is still being pulled through with your continuously unwinding torso.

slkfis
Jun 09 2012, 10:36 PM
Hey Guys,
I certainly appreciate the replys and the good tips. I will work on the various tips and report back in about a month with the results.

thxs very much.

slkfis/Bob