robasse
May 02 2012, 10:34 PM
Say a doubles team takes the upshot toward a basket that has thick azaleas behind it. We are playing best shot and they both throw long. They decide to play a shot that lies deep in the bushes. From their lie, the shot is blind and they decide the use a turbo style put. All fine so far right! Well the problem was as each player prepped for their shot the other stood behind the basket with both hands held high so that the player taking the shot could have a good line on the basket. I didn't have a problem with the team using a player to get a line on the basket. The problem I has was that the team player stood behind the basket through the entire shot and didn't move until the disc was released. Is this permissible by pdga rules? If so, please give me insight to where in the rule book this situation is explained.

wsfaplau
May 02 2012, 10:50 PM
I know of no rule preventing the actions you describe in either the rule book, comp manual, or the PDGA rules for doubles.

http://www.pdga.com/rules/rules-for-doubles

gvan
May 02 2012, 11:14 PM
I guess one could argue that the other player's arms are an "artificial device used as an aid in throwing." (802.04) Such claims have been made when people dropped a towel in a fairway as an aiming point.

bruce_brakel
May 02 2012, 11:23 PM
In golf that would be banned by the "no assistance" rule. We do not have a broadly worded "no assistance" rule in disc golf. In golf, even your caddy could not do that.

cgkdisc
May 03 2012, 12:27 AM
We allow players to jangle the chains as a way to get the direction to the basket. The rule that might prevent this particular situation is 803.07 for Interference where a player and equipment should be placed in locations where they are unlikely to be hit. With the player behind the basket on the line of play, that's at least one location where there's a higher probability of being struck versus behind or beside the thrower.