cdaigle
Mar 27 2012, 08:50 PM
Would just like to share what happened this weekend at Am World Doubles.
After being informed I had to retake the officials exam since I hadn't taken it since 2010 (a PDGA rule change of which I was unaware) I was a bit frustrated that I didn't know until right before the tournament started. Not a big deal, I took the test and paid my $10. However while taking the test I found TWO(2) questions that did not have any of the correct answers according to the PDGA rule book, and one-two more that were extremely ambiguous. I was assured that the book I was using was the CURRENT rule book. The PDGA official that was there (and did an awesome job, dont remember his name), the TD and myself all were witness to the occurrence. Any possibility that the PDGA can be more transparent as to make MEMBERS aware of small rule changes such as having to retake the exam, and more importantly to make the test more accurate??????

cgkdisc
Mar 27 2012, 08:56 PM
There's only one question that should have a more complete "correct" answer and that's been covered before in another rules thread on the officials test. But the correct answer on the test is not incorrect that has to do with player A & B and not putting out. Multiple announcements have been made over the past two years, stories on the home page, in the member renewal packet and emails to members regarding the testing requirements.

cdaigle
Mar 27 2012, 10:24 PM
then why not simply fix the error? Not everyone that pays that much attention to message boards..

cdaigle
Mar 27 2012, 10:29 PM
I cant quite remember the other questions but words like "should" and "could" need to be better worded. Questions that pertain to a TD's judgement, in my opinion, could be a bit misleading as well...

cdaigle
Mar 27 2012, 10:30 PM
TWO YEARS is a long time btw...

cdaigle
Mar 27 2012, 10:38 PM
AND it was news to the PDGA official and the TD as well so please dont assume EVERYONE knows these things...we all shared several laughs over quite a long discussion. Im not just some angry disc golfer. I have a career, a family and other responsibilities, disc golf is not exactly a priority. I will also add I was commended with a very positive attitude about the situation after the tournament. I really dont want to sound like an ******...just pointing it out...

cgkdisc
Mar 27 2012, 10:38 PM
It's not a mistake but the answer could be more complete. It's not being changed for the time being because the test is translated into several languages. So what seems like a simple change is not just a simple change. The rules are going thru another revamp this year so I presume the test will be revised by the end of the year.

cdaigle
Mar 27 2012, 10:50 PM
Hopefully everyone will not have to pay again to take the test before 3 years. Im not sure how long the original test was supposed to keep you qualified to play a major. I assumed mine would still be good from 2010. Would be great to have that information on your individual PDGA profile online (for whatever thats worth) or have some way of knowing before you get to the site of the tournament. Please dont get me wrong, the test is GREAT! Most of the questions were really well thought out and quite challenging. Lets keep it going but some of the other logistical things hopefully will be fixed soon. And not just in the test...

cgkdisc
Mar 27 2012, 11:30 PM
I'm just providing info not answers for your issues. I suggest you email your suggestions and complaints to PDGA HQ if you would like to influence any improvements or get answers on their plans. They don't normally respond to posts here.

cdaigle
Mar 29 2012, 10:22 PM
Trying to be....

cdaigle
Mar 29 2012, 10:26 PM
more classy

ERicJ
Mar 30 2012, 12:04 PM
It's not being changed for the time being because the test is translated into several languages. So what seems like a simple change is not just a simple change.
Without knowing the inner workings here this sounds like an awful excuse. Instead of fixing the lame question before it can proliferate to other countries, you're intentionally translating the lame question so that it can proliferate to other countries.

Would be great to have that information on your individual PDGA profile online (for whatever thats worth) or have some way of knowing before you get to the site of the tournament.
The PDGA Tour webpage for the event, i.e. registration list, has a column showing who is current on the rules test for Majors. Unfortunately the implementation of the registration list for doubles is rather poor combining both partners into a single listing. So if you're not the first partner listed your information doesn't show up.

http://www.pdga.com/discussion/attachment.php?attachmentid=1045&stc=1&d=1333119758
--http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/77578

Perhaps the Texas State Doubles (http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/79376) methodology works better by listing each player individually and "tagging" the teams with a unique number in the name field.