Ian_Liddell
Mar 12 2012, 03:30 PM
Does anyone know what the deal is with this company? My club has contacted them via email a few times about a potentially huge project, and they aren't communicating with us. They have no phone number listed and won't offer one up. This is a little scary, we would prefer Vortex baskets but might have to go with something else. Has anyone purchased Vortexes? Bulk purchase? It all seems sketchy, we are looking at buying 36+ baskets, so this is quite important. Any information would be helpful, thanks!

kadeatkinson
Mar 14 2012, 03:06 PM
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41202&page=21

The bottom of the page has the answers you need. They are a part time group of guys, not a company with the ability to provide more than one basket at a time. These guys on DGCR have been talking with then since nov. and they finally said they cant do bulk a couple of days ago.

Ian_Liddell
Mar 14 2012, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the help!

drdisc
Mar 15 2012, 12:43 AM
Over the last 30 years many players have made some pretty good targets. Making them, advertising , promoting , nationwide distribution, etc. requires a real company. Don't forget , they also need to keep the cost competitive. Not that easy.

Ian_Liddell
Mar 20 2012, 02:00 PM
Cost was a secondary issue for us, we just wanted the best basket available. Now we will go with the second best basket available. Baskets and teepads, the 2 biggest flaws in our sport.

Paul Taylor
Mar 20 2012, 04:42 PM
Baskets and teepads, the 2 biggest flaws in our sport.

WOW, the only question I have about this statement is..Why do you play disc golf then?

Then my next statement would be...The basket is only as good as the player putting the putter.

Let me know when you find the perfect tee pad, because if it is perfect for you then it probably won't be for someone else.

Ian_Liddell
Mar 20 2012, 09:29 PM
No need to be rude Paul, just talking here. Most baskets spit, more than they should. It takes away from the game. When a spit out center cut putt can lose you $1000, yes there is a problem. Discatchers seem to spit far less, and I'm sure the Vortex even less. Clearly the evolution of the pole hole is moving towards less spits. I've been around since Mach 1 was the only basket, and there's probably a good reason why we don't use those anymore, right??? Not really sure what your point is, but yes things need work. Should we just ignore the flaws? This is still a relatively new sport and many things will change and are already changing with recognition and money flow.

With tee pads the major problem seems to be funding and labor, they aren't cheap. But it would be nice if we had some standards. Importance of tees are often overlooked in course design. You shouldn't have to think about your footing when on a tee, especially in a major event. Like I said it seems to be a funding issue, but hopefully in time the standards will change as more money and sponsors trickle in.

davei
Mar 21 2012, 09:12 AM
No need to be rude Paul, just talking here. Most baskets spit, more than they should. It takes away from the game. When a spit out center cut putt can lose you $1000, yes there is a problem. Discatchers seem to spit far less, and I'm sure the Vortex even less. Clearly the evolution of the pole hole is moving towards less spits. I've been around since Mach 1 was the only basket, and there's probably a good reason why we don't use those anymore, right??? Not really sure what your point is, but yes things need work. Should we just ignore the flaws? This is still a relatively new sport and many things will change and are already changing with recognition and money flow.

With tee pads the major problem seems to be funding and labor, they aren't cheap. But it would be nice if we had some standards. Importance of tees are often overlooked in course design. You shouldn't have to think about your footing when on a tee, especially in a major event. Like I said it seems to be a funding issue, but hopefully in time the standards will change as more money and sponsors trickle in.

While I completely agree with you, I know from long experience, getting a consensus about what is the right way to do things is very difficult. Change to some is progress, and heresy to others. I believe we have addressed the target issue with our new Pro 28 for now, but I would never say it is perfect.

Tees are a much more difficult area to reach a consensus on. While most think broom finished concrete is best for now. The size and shape is very controversial. You have only to look at the tee pads for the international center in Augusta. I and many others, think that shape is horrible and many think it is ideal. That's a big difference in opinion. I also think there is room for improvement over concrete. Relatively cheap and low maintenance, concrete's permanence makes upgrades or course design changes difficult. Astroturf or other similar mats over prepared surfaces may be a better alternative for managed courses. Unmanaged courses have to worry about maintenance and vandalism. No straightforward solution for size, shape, or material type, but our sport could certainly use improvement in this area.

DaKineSurfer32
Jul 25 2012, 10:09 PM
Hey Ian,

My name is Logan Turner and I'm one of the owners of Arroyo Disc Sports... I just discovered this thread and thought I'd write to you. First off, I'm sorry if your club emailed us and we never got back to you... What address were you emailing? I'd like to check and see if we received anything or if you may have been emailing a dead address.

Secondly, the statement about us not being able to do bulk orders is false. We chose not to do a DGCR bulk order to 9+ different people. Logistically it was something we didn't want to handle as a young company, or absorb the shipping costs of. We most definitely do bulk orders and course packages. There are two courses going in in Michigan currently, and we're working with clubs in Alabama, California and Washington as well. I realize that you've probably already purchased baskets for your course, but if you'd like to give me a call at 231-590-0878, or shoot me an email to [email protected] I'd be more than happy to try and quell any concerns that you or your club may have. We are a full time company and also work full time on the side to build our dream.

JenniferB
Jul 25 2012, 11:23 PM
I'm working on getting a course put in at Kings Creek Park in Terrell Texas. I'm wondering if holding tournaments with temp layouts and portable baskets is a good way to raise funds, and if it makes sense to put in a 9 hole first with dirt tees, and then add more baskets and concrete tees later. I've heard of baskets being donated by disc manufacturers in the past, but I assume those days are gone?

John Hernlund
Jul 26 2012, 04:07 AM
With respect to the discussion of tee-pads, just wanted to note that rubber mats don't work well on courses with ubiquitous gophers, which eventually disturb the ground beneath...and the artificial tee surface hides the dubious topography underfoot, which is unsafe. Even a layer of large rocks with a bed of compacted fines on top tends to get disturbed after a sufficiently long time, and often settles awkwardly. I think rubber tees are also not very grippy when wet, and become worse with time since the core always has a different (more slick) texture than the tougher original protective surface (which wears away). So...perhaps we should stick with quality concrete tees, and perhaps we should post some videos of how they're made by masters of the craft. It doesn't cost a great deal to pour a concrete tee pad, especially if you can get discount broken bags of concrete at your local Home Depot or whatever (tell them you're part of a local park volunteer project).

Regarding baskets, I've heard that Arroyo had production issues with their first run of Vortex baskets, which probably took a bit of wind from their sails, and dramatically increased their costs. I hope they can get over these issues, since their baskets catch very well and most players will see their design as an advancement of the sport of disc golf. They are also better for the longevity of your favorite putters, because their inner chains are more rigid and prevent the disc from impacting the center pole at high speed, and they also avoid having a large band of metal (like the Innova DiscCatcher) that cuts into discs. Lastly, a great reason to buy these baskets is that they are 100% made in the USA.

...I'm wondering if holding tournaments with temp layouts and portable baskets is a good way to raise funds...

Yes, and it also gives you a chance to receive feedback from players on the design. Be sure to invite experienced players, and let them know you are seeking their opinions. It encourages everyone to feel like they're a part of the project, and allows you to make the best possible course with the land you have while building valuable relationships.