thediscinmusician
Feb 25 2012, 11:25 PM
Quick question. Is there a rule about a minimum amount of team between rounds. Example. Played a tourney today. I turned in my card at 12:50. Last card was still not in. I was told 1:40 at the earliest. I arrive at 1:35 to see tournament play had already begun. There was at max 30 min from last card in. Any kind of ruling? Any help would be appreciated.

jconnell
Feb 26 2012, 04:59 PM
Quick question. Is there a rule about a minimum amount of team between rounds. Example. Played a tourney today. I turned in my card at 12:50. Last card was still not in. I was told 1:40 at the earliest. I arrive at 1:35 to see tournament play had already begun. There was at max 30 min from last card in. Any kind of ruling? Any help would be appreciated.
There's no rule regarding time between rounds. It's entirely up to the TD. I've played tournaments where the break was 10 minutes and tournaments where the break was 3+ hours. Provided the length of the break is communicated to the players, anything is fair.

That said, it's definitely a shady thing to be told a time and have them start the next round earlier than that stated time. Are you sure you were told by someone of authority? I mean, did you hear 1:40 from another player, someone just hanging around, a staff member, or the TD himself? It's always possible someone thought they knew what they were talking about when they told you 1:40, but they actually didn't. If it was the TD or a member of staff, I would hope they're acknowledge their error and not penalize you for arriving late. If you got the info second or third hand from someone else (who had it wrong), it's just hard luck and an opportunity to learn a lesson...always go directly to the source (the TD) to get official info.

thediscinmusician
Feb 26 2012, 07:26 PM
Sad case is I did go to the TD and was told directly by him 1:40 at the earliest. We arrived to seeing people already playing. Sad case. I ended up not finishing my round. First time in 75+ PDGA events.

cgkdisc
Feb 26 2012, 07:57 PM
I would report the incident to the Tour Manager: asweeton at pdga.com

rondpit
Mar 19 2012, 06:22 PM
Ha. I just found this thread. I am the prez of the hosting club.

Yes, the OP is right. We started at 1:40pm. George was late. So were 3 others. 88 were not. There ya' go.

And yes, he did not finish his round. He played the 2nd round and chose not to finish the last hole and took his DNF. Go figure.

Ron

kadeatkinson
Apr 04 2012, 02:56 PM
I too missed a 2nd round of a tourny this year. All my fault. What did I take from this?

"Lombardi time" is the principle that one should arrive 10 to 15 minutes early, or else be considered late.

Good old Vince Lombardi!

bruce_brakel
Apr 05 2012, 10:21 AM
When we first started running the Illinois Open Series we had a lot of this. Players just assumed we were running on local standard disc golf time where "1:30 players meeting" meant that at 1:30 we might start sorting the scoreboard and then have a player meeting at 1:45 or 2:00.

Karl
Apr 05 2012, 03:00 PM
In life, you'll find out that people come in two varieties: Those that "have a sense of / respect for time" and those that don't. And it in no way demonizes one or the other (for being the way they are). But I do know that when it comes to life-long friends / partners / spouses / etc., the "longer" they are, the more probable they're of the same 'mold' as you! I've had wonderful girlfriends (in all other aspects) that just never lasted - because they were perpetually late. And I think of the really close 12 - 15 friends I have (and have had) for the last 40 or so years...and each one is also "timely". That's not to say that one couldn't get along with the other, but over time, it (either the "oh don't be so literal" or the "why do I always have to wait for YOU?") will end it for one of you.

Karl
Ps: But IMBiasedO, since we have limited time on this earth, be considerate of others (other's time).

jconnell
Apr 05 2012, 03:54 PM
Another lesson in this...might be good to synchronize your watch/clock with the TD's. Maybe his runs five minutes fast. Or yours runs ten minutes slow. Might not seem like a big deal, but it could be the difference between arriving in time or being late like the original poster here. He says he was back at 1:35 and players were throwing. TD says they started at 1:40 and the OP arrived after that. Maybe they were both right...according to their own watch/clock. But TD's time trumps all.

I haven't had the misfortune to be late for a round like that (knock on wood). But I thought I was once, not realizing the clock in my buddy's car was set 20 minutes fast. I was imploring him to hurry up thinking we were going to be late, and it turned out we got back to the course from lunch with 15 minutes to spare (instead of five minutes late like I thought).

It's one of the reasons I don't bother to leave the course at lunch time anymore...I either pack a lunch, take advantage of tournament-provided lunch opportunities, or, once in a while, just go hungry. Beats being late.

AWSmith
Apr 05 2012, 05:56 PM
a good lesson to remember about 2nd round starts time. When a TD tells you a start time, he is telling you what time you will Tee-Off, not what time players should head out to their holes. I learned that at my first tourn and in 6 yrs have only missed one 2nd round start.

@ the OP, if the TD told you "1:40 at the earliest" and you arrived AT 1:40 (not 1:41) with play already started I would make a compliant to the PDGA Tour Manager.

@Karl
What was the point of your post? and how does it relate to the OP's question? Seems like your just stroking yourself.
And your dichotomy doesn't really hold up. "Sense of time w/ no respect" "Sense of time w/ respect" "No sense of time w/ respect" "No sense of time w/o respect" I'd say thats more accurate.

Completely Unnecessary:

And yes, he did not finish his round. He played the 2nd round and chose not to finish the last hole and took his DNF. Go figure.

He already told us he didn't finish. Which would be his first time in many tourns. your slight is unfounded and undeserved. Would you not be so condescending if he had finished? or would you find some other means to take a jab at him? my guess is the latter.