surrealm
Feb 05 2012, 11:49 AM
a disc ends up OB after a throw.

"you're not allowed to re-use that OB disc until next hole"

to rule out 'speed of play' as a possible factor in ruling here, by mystery the disc ends up about 5 yards from you, in an open uncovered lie, but in OB situation.

A: are you allowed to pick up that disc before you make your next throw?

B: are you allowed to re-use that disc for your next throw(s) during this particular hole, should you wish to do so?

i had not heard of this before, but heard it twice in two weeks time.
i can not find anything about this in the rules, except for a reference to 'retrieving a disc' 803.04 H when speaking of re-throw, which this clearly isn't

cgkdisc
Feb 05 2012, 12:45 PM
There is no PDGA rule preventing you from re-using your disc that has gone OB for subsequent throws on that hole other than taking an unreasonable amount of time to retrieve it in the case it went into deep or cloudy water let's say. However, the TD may restrict the use of your OB disc in the case where going OB off the tee requires a rethrow from the tee and the TD has specified no disc retrieval for that rethrow to speed play. You would still potentially be able to retrieve the disc on your way walking down the fairway for a later throw on the hole.

surrealm
Feb 05 2012, 12:55 PM
thanks, just as i thought, but good to see it in writing!

rhett
Feb 07 2012, 03:56 PM
I think the confusion comes from this rule:

803.04 Stance, Subsequent to Teeing Off
H. The player may not retrieve the originally thrown disc prior to the re-throw, except in the case of a putt from within 10 meters. Where a disc is retrieved in violation of this rule, a one throw penalty shall be imposed without a warning.

People like to remember bits of some rules and apply them to other situations. 803.04 is about stance and stance violations only, so it doesn't apply to O.B.