geo
Jan 04 2012, 02:03 PM
Is the line your stance must not cross as you release the disc perpendicular to the line of play extending from the basket thru your disc? This is primarily a straddle putting question but people do straddle outside of 33ft so an approach question as well. I'm asking because I was called on a foot/stance fault at a tourney recently where I was straddling at about 25ft. with my left foot behind the disc and stretched out as far as I could get to avoid a tree on the left. Now, I'm a little over 6 ft. so I can stretch a pretty good amount to straddle. I was called because my right foot was barely a half an inch ahead of my left(to me they looked even and talk about a petty call). Nothing to do with my left foot or falling putt, just my right foot. It wasn't seconded so nothing came from it but after I thought about it the next day it occurred to me if the measurement is a radius from the basket then there is room to either side of your plant foot to have it slightly closer, though not much. But the taller you are and can stretch farther, the more room you have.

803.04--803.04 Stance, Subsequent to Teeing Off

A. When the disc is released, a player must:
(1) Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the playing surface on the line
of play and within 30 centimeters directly behind the marker disc (except as specified in
803.04 E); and,
(2) have no supporting point contact with the marker disc or any object closer to the hole than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,
(3) have all of his or her supporting points in-bounds.

#2 states no contact with marker disc or any object closer to the hole, which I could see the ground being defined as an object, but how is it measured? If it's a radius as measured within 33ft. then wouldn't that apply to all areas? You can have a radius that 400+ft. Realistically this only applies to within 60ft. as nobody straddles from farther out but still got me thinking--is the line perpendicular for your stance? I think most people will say it's cut and dry with no contact closer to the pin but I thought I'd ask anyways. Disc On!!!

jconnell
Jan 04 2012, 03:01 PM
Is the line your stance must not cross as you release the disc perpendicular to the line of play extending from the basket thru your disc? This is primarily a straddle putting question but people do straddle outside of 33ft so an approach question as well. I'm asking because I was called on a foot/stance fault at a tourney recently where I was straddling at about 25ft. with my left foot behind the disc and stretched out as far as I could get to avoid a tree on the left. Now, I'm a little over 6 ft. so I can stretch a pretty good amount to straddle. I was called because my right foot was barely a half an inch ahead of my left(to me they looked even and talk about a petty call). Nothing to do with my left foot or falling putt, just my right foot. It wasn't seconded so nothing came from it but after I thought about it the next day it occurred to me if the measurement is a radius from the basket then there is room to either side of your plant foot to have it slightly closer, though not much. But the taller you are and can stretch farther, the more room you have.

803.04--803.04 Stance, Subsequent to Teeing Off

A. When the disc is released, a player must:
(1) Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the playing surface on the line
of play and within 30 centimeters directly behind the marker disc (except as specified in
803.04 E); and,
(2) have no supporting point contact with the marker disc or any object closer to the hole than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,
(3) have all of his or her supporting points in-bounds.

#2 states no contact with marker disc or any object closer to the hole, which I could see the ground being defined as an object, but how is it measured? If it's a radius as measured within 33ft. then wouldn't that apply to all areas? You can have a radius that 400+ft. Realistically this only applies to within 60ft. as nobody straddles from farther out but still got me thinking--is the line perpendicular for your stance? I think most people will say it's cut and dry with no contact closer to the pin but I thought I'd ask anyways. Disc On!!!
It's always a radius determined by the distance from the target to the edge of the marker away from the target. It's just that the further away from the target the marker is, the closer the perimeter of the circle gets to resembling a perpendicular line that crosses the line of play at the rear edge of the marker.

krupicka
Jan 04 2012, 03:04 PM
It is exactly as the rules described. If the rear of the marker disc is 30cm from the pole, then your feet need to be at least 30cm from the pole. If you decide to put one foot on one side of the pole, and the other on the opposite side of the basket, so be it as long as they are both far enough from the pole.

krazyeye
Jan 04 2012, 09:38 PM
If I am in a big straddle I usually ask if my stance is good before I throw.

wsfaplau
Jan 09 2012, 06:56 PM
Actually your right foot can be significantly closer than your left (in your example)

All you had to do to legally achieve this was to move your left foot back to the full 30 CM behind the rear edge of the marker disc. You can then have your right foot up to 29 CM ahead of your left foot just so it isn't closer than the rear edge of your marker.

To be clear, in my example your left foot is on the line of play behind your marker disc