warwickdan
Dec 15 2010, 11:36 AM
Wanted: A few disc golfers interested in re-locating to Warwick, NY for the purpose of becoming co-owners and investment partners in an �oasis� where individuals and families from throughout the community could gather for communal agricultural endeavors where they figuratively and literally �reap the fruits of their labor�; participate in inexpensive, convenient, environmentally-correct passive recreational activity; help create a unique residential homestead; and where they can enjoy healthy food and reside in a casual, fun, unique minimalist self-sustaining communal situation adjacent to the world-class Warwick Disc Golf Course.

The location of this particular property, the �lay of the land�, and the various structures and uses already in existence on the property make this particular property ideal for the creation of this �oasis�.

A key component of this oasis would be the creation of a 3rd fantastic Warwick Disc Golf course on this property.

Individuals with serious curiousity about the amazing potential associated with this venture; the ability to invest a minimum of 100k; and/or a personal skillset that might include agricultural, food operations, or basic mechanical and construction aptitude and experience should contact me directly to discuss my ideas further.

Dan Doyle
Warwick, NY
[email protected]

warwickdan
Nov 07 2011, 04:02 PM
The Oasis at Warwick (NY) was born on Friday, November 4th at 9:50 AM. It was conceived 15 years ago. It will never be "completed", as I see this venture evolving over the rest of my life.

this venture is the brainchild of myself and my friends Joe Gara and Becca Tucker. besides being disc golfers, Joe and Becca are Ultimate addicts. Becca just competed in the US Ultimate club championships in Florida. Becca is the founder and editor of "Dirt Magazine", a local magazine dedicated to "Healthy Living from the Ground Up". (www.dirt-mag.com)

In its simplest form it will become a place to Grow (food), Eat and drink, Play, and stay overnite.

Grow. Eat. Play. Crash.

Grow - a community garden, along with some animals like chickens and goats so we can become as self-sustaining as much as possible.

Eat - a commercial food operation using our homegrown food, quite possibly with a wood-fired pizza oven. a liquor license so guests can re-hydrate responsibly. perhaps some microbrewing on site.

Play - a world-class disc golf course that will also have a beginner-friendly component.
a disc golf pro shop.
a disc sport clubhouse.
lots of Ultimate, with town athletic fields literally next door.
DDC courts
leagues and monthlies in disc golf and Ultimate and other disc-iplines.
an activity trail for running, x-country skiing, and mountain biking.
horseshoes, volleyball, bocce, etc

Crash - camping, glamping (glamorous camping), teepees, treehouses
shower facilities.

how fast this all evolves is unclear at this time. but we are planning on hosting an Ice Bowl sometime this winter.

i am also unclear as to every aspect of the town zoning altho preliminary discussions with town officials leads me to believe that our ideas will be deemed desirable from their point of view. but bureaucratice obstacles could derail or delay some aspects of the evolution.

i will be living on site.

it will become a mecca for disc golfers and a disc sport destination, especially given that the 3rd tee of the course that Ken Climo recently declared "his favorite course" is 51 feet from the driveway of The Oasis at Warwick. being an hour from Manhattan has some appeal as well.

i will post as we reach certain milestones, as this 47-acre oasis can become a place many of us may have dreamed about in some shape or form over our years involved with disc sports.

and certainly we will absolutely have to have a grand opening sometime in 2012.

play well with others.

dan doyle

Fats
Nov 17 2011, 02:12 PM
Brado Danimal. I suppose the first question is: when will Worlds be at Warwick then? :D

warwickdan
Nov 21 2011, 02:05 PM
hey fats.......

worlds at warwick?????? hmmm.......not the first time i've been asked that.

we now have three courses in warwick. for a worlds i know we could create two temporary courses in warwick as well. we have campgaw. other sites close by also available. it could be done.

i'd absolutely consider putting in a bid some day. first i'd want to sell my core business (steel fabrication) so i could devote a good full-time year to running such an event.

in the meantime we will probably consider some sort of huge event for 2013. 3 18-hole courses with a full clubhouse and restaurant and pro shop and overnite accomodations should set us up well for a major event.

it's all happening. amazing. 6 sleeves planted yesterday. we will host an ice bowl in february as our opening event.

dd

Dana
Nov 22 2011, 04:13 PM
Very cool. I'll set aside some time to visit next time I'm out East.
Good luck!

Fats
Dec 05 2011, 02:11 AM
Dan, I'll take an NT. That would be worth travelling for.
Congrats, good to hear the great things happening out there.

drdisc
Dec 08 2011, 12:13 AM
Too bad that is not Down South. Sounds pretty cool. Good going .
Our closest destination to what you have described is The Flyboy Disc Golf Course.
The garden is already growing.

warwickdan
Jan 04 2012, 10:22 AM
joe gara and becca tucker and i are quite thrilled to let folks know we now have 9 very playable holes with baskets on our new property. we still need to create permanent teepads but for now natural turf will suffice.

holes 1 thru 4 and 14 thru 18 are finished, even in some cases immaculately manicured. those 9 holes make for a perfect 9-hole loop of almost all open to semi-open holes with lots of O/B and bunCR's and target zones that wind amongst cedar forests and "Guitar Pond" and marshy wetlands. those 9 holes play to a legitimately challenging Pro Par of 32.

until our boardwalk system for errant shots is installed bring waterproof footwear as marshy areas are a bit icky as we come off the wettest year on record.

ultimately our course will play to a Pro Par of 70 and the hole pars are designed to challenge 1000-rated players. we will also offer advanced and in some cases am tees so that there will be layouts less intimidating and more appropriate tests for players of all abilities.

for anyone traveling to or thru the warwick area we now offer 45 holes of amazing disc golf at the main Warwick course, wolfe woods, and the 9 holes at The Oasis. feel free to wander literally across the street and check out the 9 holes on our property whenever you are playing the other 2 warwick courses. if joe or becca or i am around we'd be happy to give you a quick tour. otherwise stumble around the course on your own.....

Play Grow Eat Crash.

dd