Southpaw527
Oct 25 2011, 04:45 PM
Effective Oct. 1 if you join or renew your membership with the PDGA or the TDSA your membership will count for the rest of 2011 and the entire 2012 year...

If you're on the fence about joining remember it's $10.00 every time you play a sanctioned event and are not a member so if you're thinking about playing several events next year you will save some money signing up now..

twoputtok
Nov 17 2011, 10:31 AM
Since this is about membership, I just received my notice of renewal and a list of all the things they do with my membership. I was even more curious to find the exact amount of money they took in for 2010 and projected 2011. Can't seem to find those numbers without a computer expert to uncover them.

So here is a list of what they say they do for you with a paid staff of 5 and many many volunteers. keep in mind volunteers don't get paid.

The PDGA is a non-profit organization run by a volunteer Board of Directors, and hundreds - if not thousands - of volunteer hours to create all the programs managed by still more volunteers and 5 paid staff. With these funds the PDGA:

organizes and manages a 1,200+ competitive event schedule world wide supporting each event with hard copy and electronic information;
Average of 100 per month to send out to tournaments, not a huge task
manages a points and ratings system for 15,000+ members;
Just a matter of input form the reports to another spreadsheet.
produces a full color glossy publication for all members;
This hasn't been a decent magazine since Rothstein quit doing it. Everything in it is 6 months old by the time you get it, IF you get it.
supports an annual World Championships;
Please define support for items, that you don't charge the local hosting club for.
provides awards for outstanding achievement by a player, TD, volunteer, touring players;
Whoo Hoo
produces a hard copy and electronic version of a Course Directory with 3,200+ entries;
Seems like once this done, it is just matter of updating it and sending it to the printer.
keeps track of demographics which we supply to journalists, PR promoters and other interested parties;
Again, just another merger of information into a spread sheet.
funds the PDGA Innovation Grant Program, created to increase and promote the awareness of the sport of disc golf and the Professional Disc Golf Association;
I would be curious as to just how much is given to the grant program and would like to see the results of that program
manages a fabulous website where members can check their own personal stats pages at www.pdga.com (http://www.pdga.com) and access the PDGA DISCussion board - sure to inform and entertain;
NO Comment, too busy laughing at that statement.
manages live, hole-by-hole, online coverage for Majors and National Tour Elite Series events;
The only place I have seen this come from is outside ventures other than the PDGA
sends out hard copy and e-notices, membership info, ballots and other mass mailings;
All I ever receive anymore are email notices, just how much is still being sent via snail mail and at what cost?
manages the rules of play including revisions and updates every 3 years or so, as well as annual reprinting;
How do you manage a book of rules. Okay updates every 3 years, how much is that?
manages a Competition Manual, a companion to the rules of play;
Again, just managing a book that is already printed?
produces an Information Kit available to members and non-members alike. The kit contains stats, demographics, testimonials, brochures and is useful for anyone interested in installing a course in their area or promoting the sport in general;
How many of these kits are actually requested each year?
prints a glossy promo brochure "What Is Disc Golf?" available to anyone upon request;
Okay but this can't cost that much?
annually produces for sale a high quality video of the annual PDGA Pro World Championships;
Annually produces a video that they SELL for money.
organizes and subsidizes an insurance policy available to Tournament Directors of PDGA sanctioned events;
Would be curious as to the amount of subsidization that they provide, since each TD pays a fee for their event insurance.
created and manages an officiating system which includes a written exam;
sponsors a Marshals' Program;
They charge a fee for the exam and I haven't seen a Marshall snce they started the forced exam for majors.
provides sponsorship to Major, National Tour Elite Series and SuperTour events in the form of a financial contribution, banners and flags, Marshals, event registration assistance;
Curious as to the amount of finanacial support? They can ship banners and flags, still haven't seen a Marshall in the last year and they Charge fees for that registration assistance thing, called online signups.
finances and hosts monthly teleconferences and 2 annual Board of Directors face to face Summits;
Teleconferences can't be that much, as for the bi-annual meeting, okay.
offers a great "Welcome" package for new members;
A disc, and a "In the Air" sticker and a key chain tag. All this for a mere $75.

gratefully acknowledges 10 and 20 year PDGA members with a bag tag;
continues to fund initiatives that work towards airing disc golf on TV;
They should, becuase at 10 years I have paid them at least $750, not bad for a bag tag.
in April 2007 we opened the International Disc Golf Center here in Columbia County, Georgia, housing the offices of the PDGA, the Hall of Fame and Ed Headrick Museums surrounded by 3 Championship courses open to all;
While this is a fantastic venue, just what are the annual maintinance costs of this facility?
provides standardized rules governing the running of an event - i.e.: Payout;
Their control over payouts is a provided benefit? So how do you like that Oklahoma Open B teir players. They didn't screw you, it's a BENEFIT!!!!
provides a method for preventing divisional sandbagging - i.e.: monitoring non/non-current members' player ratings to protect current members competing in a PDGA sanctioned event.
They already claimed ratings as a benefit, is it double weighted now?
Does anyone have the budget numbers from 2010 or projected for 2011? I sure can't find them. But I can find everything they tell me they take care of, just not how much we put in and what these items costs. I know the numbers are out there but they make them **** hard to dig up. Why?

Oklahoma is only about 1% or less of their budget and we, as a State sent them over 18K this year. You do the math, where is all the money? And if they have that much, then why are they still nickel and diming us to death?

WhiteyBear
Nov 17 2011, 11:02 AM
"Public Disclosure

Non-profits are required to make certain tax documents available for public inspection. The three most recent information returns (Form 990 or 990-EZ) and its application for exempt status (Form 1023) must be made available for inspection upon request.
Form 990-T reporting unrelated business income is open for public inspection only for non-profits that organized under Code Section 501(c)(3).

Schedule A is not open to public inspection and does not need to be disclosed by the organization.

Organizations can meet their public disclosure obligations by posting copies of their information returns on the Internet. For more information, see Frequently Asked Questions About the Exempt Organization Public Disclosure Requirements on the IRS Web site."

If its truly a non-profit org, you can request tax information. However, and coincidentally, Schedule A is employee compensation...

WhiteyBear
Nov 17 2011, 11:22 AM
Obviously this isn't the detailed income/expenditures data that you were looking for, but just imagine if even 100 members asked for this info.

Kevin should do the community a favor and fervently seek this out. And have a less PC response than that of the new public liaison.

evandmckee
Nov 17 2011, 05:38 PM
http://www.pdga.com/organizational-documents

this link has most of the info mentioned

wforest
Nov 17 2011, 06:27 PM
[QUOTE=twoputtok;1464135]
... " manages a fabulous website where members can check their own personal stats pages at www.pdga.com (http://www.pdga.com) and access the PDGA DISCussion board - sure to inform and entertain;
NO Comment, too busy laughing at that statement. "
... priceless ...

keldog
Nov 18 2011, 02:03 AM
Since this is about membership, I just received my notice of renewal and a list of all the things they do with my membership. I was even more curious to find the exact amount of money they took in for 2010 and projected 2011. Can't seem to find those numbers without a computer expert to uncover them.

So here is a list of what they say they do for you with a paid staff of 5 and many many volunteers. keep in mind volunteers don't get paid.

The PDGA is a non-profit organization run by a volunteer Board of Directors, and hundreds - if not thousands - of volunteer hours to create all the programs managed by still more volunteers and 5 paid staff. With these funds the PDGA:

organizes and manages a 1,200+ competitive event schedule world wide supporting each event with hard copy and electronic information;
Average of 100 per month to send out to tournaments, not a huge task
manages a points and ratings system for 15,000+ members;
Just a matter of input form the reports to another spreadsheet.
produces a full color glossy publication for all members;
This hasn't been a decent magazine since Rothstein quit doing it. Everything in it is 6 months old by the time you get it, IF you get it.
supports an annual World Championships;
Please define support for items, that you don't charge the local hosting club for.
provides awards for outstanding achievement by a player, TD, volunteer, touring players;
Whoo Hoo
produces a hard copy and electronic version of a Course Directory with 3,200+ entries;
Seems like once this done, it is just matter of updating it and sending it to the printer.
keeps track of demographics which we supply to journalists, PR promoters and other interested parties;
Again, just another merger of information into a spread sheet.
funds the PDGA Innovation Grant Program, created to increase and promote the awareness of the sport of disc golf and the Professional Disc Golf Association;
I would be curious as to just how much is given to the grant program and would like to see the results of that program
manages a fabulous website where members can check their own personal stats pages at www.pdga.com (http://www.pdga.com) and access the PDGA DISCussion board - sure to inform and entertain;
NO Comment, too busy laughing at that statement.
manages live, hole-by-hole, online coverage for Majors and National Tour Elite Series events;
The only place I have seen this come from is outside ventures other than the PDGA
sends out hard copy and e-notices, membership info, ballots and other mass mailings;
All I ever receive anymore are email notices, just how much is still being sent via snail mail and at what cost?
manages the rules of play including revisions and updates every 3 years or so, as well as annual reprinting;
How do you manage a book of rules. Okay updates every 3 years, how much is that?
manages a Competition Manual, a companion to the rules of play;
Again, just managing a book that is already printed?
produces an Information Kit available to members and non-members alike. The kit contains stats, demographics, testimonials, brochures and is useful for anyone interested in installing a course in their area or promoting the sport in general;
How many of these kits are actually requested each year?
prints a glossy promo brochure "What Is Disc Golf?" available to anyone upon request;
Okay but this can't cost that much?
annually produces for sale a high quality video of the annual PDGA Pro World Championships;
Annually produces a video that they SELL for money.
organizes and subsidizes an insurance policy available to Tournament Directors of PDGA sanctioned events;
Would be curious as to the amount of subsidization that they provide, since each TD pays a fee for their event insurance.
created and manages an officiating system which includes a written exam;
sponsors a Marshals' Program;
They charge a fee for the exam and I haven't seen a Marshall snce they started the forced exam for majors.
provides sponsorship to Major, National Tour Elite Series and SuperTour events in the form of a financial contribution, banners and flags, Marshals, event registration assistance;
Curious as to the amount of finanacial support? They can ship banners and flags, still haven't seen a Marshall in the last year and they Charge fees for that registration assistance thing, called online signups.
finances and hosts monthly teleconferences and 2 annual Board of Directors face to face Summits;
Teleconferences can't be that much, as for the bi-annual meeting, okay.
offers a great "Welcome" package for new members;
A disc, and a "In the Air" sticker and a key chain tag. All this for a mere $75.

gratefully acknowledges 10 and 20 year PDGA members with a bag tag;
continues to fund initiatives that work towards airing disc golf on TV;
They should, becuase at 10 years I have paid them at least $750, not bad for a bag tag.
in April 2007 we opened the International Disc Golf Center here in Columbia County, Georgia, housing the offices of the PDGA, the Hall of Fame and Ed Headrick Museums surrounded by 3 Championship courses open to all;
While this is a fantastic venue, just what are the annual maintinance costs of this facility?
provides standardized rules governing the running of an event - i.e.: Payout;
Their control over payouts is a provided benefit? So how do you like that Oklahoma Open B teir players. They didn't screw you, it's a BENEFIT!!!!
provides a method for preventing divisional sandbagging - i.e.: monitoring non/non-current members' player ratings to protect current members competing in a PDGA sanctioned event.
They already claimed ratings as a benefit, is it double weighted now?
Does anyone have the budget numbers from 2010 or projected for 2011? I sure can't find them. But I can find everything they tell me they take care of, just not how much we put in and what these items costs. I know the numbers are out there but they make them **** hard to dig up. Why?

Oklahoma is only about 1% or less of their budget and we, as a State sent them over 18K this year. You do the math, where is all the money? And if they have that much, then why are they still nickel and diming us to death?

This is why after 14 years in the PDGA,l'm done with them.TO MUCH UNDER THE RUG ****!!!

sschumacher
Nov 18 2011, 10:27 AM
I'm out as well.

After five years of providing expertly written rants and humor they have yet to put me on the cover of the magazine. I drank some of the cool-aid and tried to become like Forest and that long haired hippy Evan but its just not working. The PDGA made like $350 or so just off of non-member fees alone on the B tier OO. Not to mention all the other various fees they threw in.

They show up like Sara Palin and want their �appearance� fee while the club takes a $1,200-$1,500 bath. And that�s actually considered a good loss compared to some of the previous years and events. Why couldn�t the club get some type of kick back from those fees? We�re the DG Mecca of the World!!!!

I�m joining the PRPSA (Professional Rock, Paper, Scissors, Association). Membership is free and comes with a free rock, paper, and pair of scissors. And if I want a friggin magazine I�ll take my PDGA membership money and get a 2 year subscription to Playboy. :)

evandmckee
Nov 18 2011, 01:49 PM
**** it FurDog - I consider talking smack to you on the board one of the premiere benefits of membership, another benefit down the drain :(

sschumacher
Nov 18 2011, 03:11 PM
Well I don't know why because you already do such a good job of it on FB, ....you little nutsack of a 4 eyed hippy razorback!!!:p

You're another one of those cool-aid drinkers.:rolleyes: