alexjohnson13
Oct 16 2011, 11:09 PM
Say I drop an f bomb during my final round, a player on my card gives a warning, I second and apologize. We finish the tourney, I win the division and then before the awards the TD comes up and says they need to speak to me and tells me I'm disqualified. All 2 hrs. plus after my warning during the round.

Opinions?

This supposedly happened at CO States today fwiw.

Seems severely wrong according to the rules.

james_mccaine
Oct 16 2011, 11:51 PM
Seems like there was a courtesy warning and nothing more. Another violation would be a stroke. DQing takes repeated violations. That has always been my interpretation at least.

the_kid
Oct 17 2011, 12:13 AM
Seems like there was a courtesy warning and nothing more. Another violation would be a stroke. DQing takes repeated violations. That has always been my interpretation at least.

I agree......you need a tournament warning first which is not what happened. You weren't even stroked by the card or given a warning by the TD so I would be PO'd.

wsfaplau
Oct 17 2011, 12:34 AM
DQ d

mmaclay
Oct 17 2011, 02:32 AM
This sounds ridiculous and impossible. What's the WHOLE story? What would the TD say was the issue? What would others say? As stated, it's obviously not the correct response to DQ a player like this but I want to know the actual story.

wsfaplau
Oct 17 2011, 02:49 AM
A person on probation by the PDGA disciplinary committee was DQd for unsportsmanlike conduct. 2 PDGA BODs were playing in the tourney.

(incorrect statement removed)

Too bad for all involved.

johnbiscoe
Oct 17 2011, 10:53 AM
can't wait to hear the full tale on this one... "intimidated the rest of the round" ... with dirty looks???

whether or not the guy was on probation should have nothing to do with officiating his conduct during an individual event, during that event he is the same as any other competitor... that part is up to the disciplinary committee after the fact... it's called due process...

BOD members also don't have diddly to do with it...

seewhere
Oct 17 2011, 11:28 AM
i dont see any DNF 's for colorado states?

petershive
Oct 17 2011, 12:29 PM
I can resolve some of the misinformation circulating here.

The player was not DQ'd for his behavior to others on his card during the final round. So it is not a matter involving warnings, seconds, strokes, etc -- the procedures most familiar to players.

He was DQ'd for subsequent verbal abuse of the TD and the tournament staff. The action is covered by the Player Misconduct rules, in particular 3.3 A and 3.3 B (1) and (3).

johnrock
Oct 17 2011, 02:11 PM
A person on probation by the PDGA disciplinary committee was DQd for unsportsmanlike conduct. 2 PDGA BODs were playing in the tourney.

Apparently after the player gave the warning he felt he was being intimidated the rest of the round by the warned player and took it to the TD.

Too bad for all involved.

Was this playeRR in the Master's division?

seewhere
Oct 17 2011, 02:40 PM
i would say foRR suRRe

wsfaplau
Oct 17 2011, 03:20 PM
Hi John RRock, Yes he was in the MasteRR's division.
It is too bad this took anything away fRRom all the volunteeRRs it took to put togetheRR a gRReat touRRney.

wsfaplau
Oct 17 2011, 03:28 PM
can't wait to hear the full tale on this one... "intimidated the rest of the round" ... with dirty looks???

whether or not the guy was on probation should have nothing to do with officiating his conduct during an individual event, during that event he is the same as any other competitor... that part is up to the disciplinary committee after the fact... it's called due process...

BOD members also don't have diddly to do with it...
New information, the outburst at the TD was the real reason for the DQ.

The only point of pointing out the probation was that means there will be more fallout from this, not that it should have impacted how the matter was handled.

As for the BOD, as representatives of the PDGA, and onsite, it was entirely appropriate for them to be consulted by the TD for input before the TD decided on a course of action.

johnrock
Oct 17 2011, 03:33 PM
A shame indeed.

Ya know, I was in a group with this player earlier this year and it was my first time to meet him. The whole round he seemed like just another player, mostly nice and a solid golfer. Before the start of the second round, a few of the locals were on my card and began talking about how well behaved he was during the first round. Seems like one of the guys in the first group talked to him before that round started and said he didn't want to have to deal with a bunch of nonsense during the round and apparently it worked. I had no idea of his past, but after looking back I did remember a few things he said and some of his mannerisms that pointed in that direction.

Sad to say but someone should have talked to him before this event.

james_mccaine
Oct 17 2011, 03:33 PM
Y'all are so cryptic. I thought "Ron Russell is playing again?" but was wrong.

I've heard stories, but thankfully have never had the pleasure.

wsfaplau
Oct 17 2011, 04:15 PM
Cryptic? Nope, just a bunch of typos. I should use spell check more I guess.

johnbiscoe
Oct 17 2011, 06:16 PM
hmmm... wonder if he'll be suspended then allowed to play the usdgc while donating his winnings to charity... that would seem to be the precedent...

keithjohnson
Oct 17 2011, 08:40 PM
hmmm... wonder if he'll be suspended then allowed to play the usdgc while donating his winnings to charity... that would seem to be the precedent...

You meant players pack right?

the_kid
Oct 19 2011, 03:26 AM
You meant players pack right?

Keith, I think he is talking about the REAL USDGC not the garbagio we had this year.

Heck even my dad couldn't believe a guy "won" shooting 100 strokes more than someone else for 3 rounds.

MatthewPratt
Oct 19 2011, 09:28 AM
I can resolve some of the misinformation circulating here.

The player was not DQ'd for his behavior to others on his card during the final round. So it is not a matter involving warnings, seconds, strokes, etc -- the procedures most familiar to players.

He was DQ'd for subsequent verbal abuse of the TD and the tournament staff. The action is covered by the Player Misconduct rules, in particular 3.3 A and 3.3 B (1) and (3).

Thanks for providing the whole story Peter.

MatthewPratt
Oct 19 2011, 09:33 AM
Sad to say but someone should have talked to him before this event.

Rock, I believe someone did talk to him...it was conveyed via the probation that he was placed on by the PDGA in August.