tafe
Oct 06 2011, 11:03 PM
I've recently noticed an awful lot of pro's "step-putting", that is just walking forward and releasing the disc before the stepping foot touches down. I'm not posting this to argue about legalities of this method. I just want to hear the pro's and con's of this method versus good old-fashioned jump-putting (both feet planted, releasing before forward foot leaves the ground). I'd like to hear from the player's that do both, or at least have tried both. Thanks.

eupher61
Oct 07 2011, 05:07 AM
The practicality of a jump putt has never been proven to me. Rarely has one been analyzed on video that shows it's totally legal, ie, feet touching when the disc is released. What does it accomplish? If it's done legally, what can the advantage be, aside from a lean? Aside from the biggest names, I've never seen anyone make a jump putt. Never. I've seen plenty of people make standing putts from 33', 50', 100'.

Walkup: certainly more easily legal, but again, why? What advantage does taking steps give you? If anything, it complicates the aiming process. I've seen this done with more success than jumps, but the people using the step putt don't know that it gives them any advantage, they were simply told it is better.

pterodactyl
Oct 07 2011, 12:13 PM
Tafe: you need to call them on it although there is absolutely no advantage to putting with your feet off the ground.

Eupher: You've never seen anyone make a jump putt? Who you playing with, anyway?
Jump putts give me that little extra momentum I need on those long putts.

tafe
Oct 07 2011, 01:44 PM
AGAIN, I do not want to argue about the legality of the move!
I jump putt on a regular basis. I make enough to keep me practicing.
When I talk about step putting, I'm talking about walking forward instead of jumping. From what I can tell, the disc is released in the split second before (for a righty) the left foot touches and the right foot leaves the ground behind the mini. Hence, nothing to call.
What I am asking about is why step/not jump, or jump/not step?
Please do not post to bag on both.
Thanks.

pterodactyl
Oct 07 2011, 04:40 PM
Personally, I step-putt when I'm just outside the circle and jump-putt when step-putting doesn't give me enough impetus to get the disc to the chains.

I think it's just a personal feel for both putts that dictates which one is used. No bagging intended. :)

bravo
Nov 03 2011, 08:34 PM
ive seen a player with a multiple step runup on long approaches and actually he make quite a few long range shots that way.
a moving launch has a greater distance potential than a still launch.
a longer reach back has a greater distance as well.
all the squatting and jumping and walking or running is doing is emparting more potentialn forward momentum.
witch ever one method or combination of meathods works for you the practice plenty and enjoy the results.

ishkatbible
Nov 08 2011, 12:21 AM
i used to "jump" putt from about 50 feet. made maybe one out of ten. now i "step" putt and make four-five out of ten.

for me, the "jump" puts a lot more pressure on my release, making it harder to control. more power, less control.
the "step" has a little less power , again for me, but is much easier to control my release, thus making it more consistent.

Tcat57
Nov 23 2011, 06:32 PM
For me it's about not putting from a static position. I like to be moving forward in some way just before release. Ever seen Jack Nicklaus putt in ball golf? Uses a "forward press" of the hands toward the hole as a mechanism to start the sensation of advancing the ball to the hole. Hovering over a putt, stock-still for 30 seconds, in either sport, and then just popping the ball or disc at the hole is deadly in my opinion.

MTL21676
Dec 13 2011, 03:28 PM
Aside from the biggest names, I've never seen anyone make a jump putt. Never.

You have to be joking, right?

I probably see at least 3 - 10 made over a tournament weekend from amateur players.

gotcha
Jan 27 2012, 09:01 AM
What is a jump putt?

AviarX
Feb 19 2012, 01:03 AM
it's like putting the cart before the horse ;-)

quickdisc
Mar 01 2012, 03:02 PM
I like to think I have enough wrist strength to snap the disc on a straight line.

I have never needed to jump putt.

wforest
Mar 19 2012, 06:57 PM
... "grammatically" : a jump-putt cannot be done ... not by current PDGA tournament Rules ... the only thing possible is a Putt-Jump ...

nnovia
Oct 22 2012, 09:20 PM
As a "noob," 'cuz I just started playing again after 30 some odd years...I have been watching much video, and other players. Putting has not come easy to me. The three months that I have been playing I've been working on my stances. Right foot forward, left foot forward, wide stance with both feet apart...rarely did I succeed unless I was within 15 feet.
Then I started thinking about how I played catch, just flicking the discs with the wrist, catching behind the back. It was an accurate way to play.
So, I started doing this about two weeks ago. Standing with my right hip facing the basket...feet in a line toward the chains...flicking like I am playing catch and my putting has all of a sudden been successful, from all distances! Maybe take a step on a longer putt, just for momentum...
I guess we will always work into a comfort range. Right now mine is like playing catch! Putting is such a mind game. Seems sometimes I can just walk up to the lie, and know I'm gonna make it. Other times...the opposite?
Of course...I now have to "go for it!":D

go18under
Dec 17 2012, 11:51 AM
I was told by someone on the rules committee that most "jump putts" are illegal. I started "walk/step" putting this past year after 15 years of regular "jump" putting, and found it a lot more accurate. I now walk/step putt anywhere outside the circle and it usually saves a few strokes per round. It is way more of a natural movement imo....

iacas
Dec 18 2012, 11:28 AM
I was told by someone on the rules committee that most "jump putts" are illegal. I started "walk/step" putting this past year after 15 years of regular "jump" putting, and found it a lot more accurate. I now walk/step putt anywhere outside the circle and it usually saves a few strokes per round. It is way more of a natural movement imo....

I think jump putting has the potential to offer more power than walk-through putting, but you may switch back to regular back-hand at that point.

I agree that walk-through putting tends to be more accurate than jump putting.

Saucer Tosser
Jan 09 2013, 12:32 PM
In summary: Both Jump and Step putting are ways to add momentum and subtract a little distance from a putt. Both have the potential for a foot fault every time. Jump putting subtracts a little more distance than Step putting does. Jump putting adds more momentum than Step putting, and therefore is more susceptible to error. So Step putting is better then Jump putting.

As nnovia noticed, why use a special putt at all? In ball golf being on the green is completely different than not being on the green. In disc golf there is no difference. So I suggest just use your best throw. Then you do not have to decide when to switch to your putt. This simplifies your game.

You still have to decide when to switch from laying up to going for it. Unless you use an Air Bounce or other "UFO landing" type of approach. These throws combine laying up and going for it.