lonhart
Sep 10 2011, 04:27 PM
I'd like to get some feedback from players on what constitutes 'damage' for Rule 803.05.F, which says:

"A player who purposely damages anything on the course shall receive two penalty throws, without warning, if observed by two or more players of the group or an official. The player may also be disqualified from the tournament, in accordance with Section 3.3 of the Competition Manual."

After a player missed a mando at worlds and played from the drop zone, he moved up the course and as he passed an overhanging branch of a tree he struck it with considerable force using his tripod chair. I immediately said "Please don't hit trees" and a second player in my group said "That's a warning."

Although I did not examine the branch, I assume there was either a piece of oak bark missing or there was, at a minimum, an indentation.

Does intentionally striking a branch with a metal chair constitute 'damage'?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Steve

eupher61
Sep 11 2011, 02:48 AM
Yep. It's also an expression of anger...swinging the chair could have injured someone, so it's an etiquette violation no matter what.

Unintentionally hitting something, like grabbing onto a tree on a steep slope and breaking it off, is not damage. Purposely is the key word.

bravo
Sep 11 2011, 09:35 AM
at least the display of anger in such a way is a violation of courtesy.
at worst damaging park/course
the handling during the round of golf was the right way.
did the guy calm down after the warning?

lonhart
Sep 11 2011, 01:15 PM
No, he did not calm down, but he no longer hit trees.

I guess I was wondering more along the lines of the player in question saying "I did not cause damage. Show me where I did some." Since the limb is in the fairway, it was its fair share of nicks and cuts from disc off the tee. My being able to actually point at what he did would have been tough.

Thanks,
Steve