deciuswtasby
Aug 03 2011, 03:35 PM
I am an Advanced Player (when I consistently putt anyway) who has been playing for a 1yr and 3mths. Now that I have developed arm speed to throw Bosses/Destroyers I am curious as to which one will be better suited for Anyhyzer flex shots and or overall consistency. I can throw in the realistic range of 365 to 390 w/flat non-adjusted shots; however, I have been able to gain some new distance w/the big anyhyzer shot and wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions to better sure up the throw.......

futurecollisions
Aug 04 2011, 11:07 AM
I am an Advanced Player (when I consistently putt anyway) who has been playing for a 1yr and 3mths. Now that I have developed arm speed to throw Bosses/Destroyers I am curious as to which one will be better suited for Anyhyzer flex shots and or overall consistency. I can throw in the realistic range of 365 to 390 w/flat non-adjusted shots; however, I have been able to gain some new distance w/the big anyhyzer shot and wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions to better sure up the throw.......

Pro bosses and first run bosses seem to work pretty well for big anhyzers, depending on wind. I would use all 175g if possible, its the most consistent. I use a beat up pro boss for my roller, but new they start out stable with a nice S pattern. Whether you are hyzer flipping these, or throwing big high anhyzers with overstable discs will make a difference as well.

JenniferB
Aug 06 2011, 02:37 AM
Destroyers get slightly more respect, as top pros have them in the bag and use them for distance competition. Boss is stereotyped as a newb disc.

More importntly, a Pro or DX destroyer sounds like the disc that would flip reliably for you at that range, and be capable of being beat in so as not to fade back too much. That said, I have no experiance with a Pro or first run boss.

futurecollisions
Aug 10 2011, 01:04 PM
Destroyers get slightly more respect, as top pros have them in the bag and use them for distance competition. Boss is stereotyped as a newb disc.

More importntly, a Pro or DX destroyer sounds like the disc that would flip reliably for you at that range, and be capable of being beat in so as not to fade back too much. That said, I have no experiance with a Pro or first run boss.

This is the same thing that wraith throwers were saying about the destroyer a few years ago when it was new. Newbs get the champ bosses at academy because they dont know any better, and thats what this is all about i think

Patrick P
Aug 16 2011, 08:53 PM
Maybe I don't throw anhyzer flex shots correctly, but I find that I flip Destroyers and Bosses. I like throwing Xcaliburs for flex shots and the new Rampage does awesome S-curves.

futurecollisions
Aug 17 2011, 11:07 AM
Maybe I don't throw anhyzer flex shots correctly, but I find that I flip Destroyers and Bosses. I like throwing Xcaliburs for flex shots and the new Rampage does awesome S-curves.

Are you throwing backhand or sidearm?

Patrick P
Aug 17 2011, 02:01 PM
Are you throwing backhand or sidearm? I throw Destroyers backhand. Xcaliburs and Bosses sidearm. Rampage both.

ChrisWoj
Aug 22 2011, 02:54 PM
I recommend the XCaliber for the flex shots. It will take a stronger and more consistent fade at the end, even as it gets beat in. Additionally - with the nose level it will take a sharper, quicker fade than other high speed discs giving a truer flight path. With the nose up it still has the speed and rim width to really get some massive skip flights.

And since you asked the previous fellow - I throw the disc both forehand and backhand, and it is one of the most reliable pieces of plastic in my bag for controlled D.

-Chris.

futurecollisions
Aug 24 2011, 02:23 PM
I recommend the XCaliber for the flex shots. It will take a stronger and more consistent fade at the end, even as it gets beat in. Additionally - with the nose level it will take a sharper, quicker fade than other high speed discs giving a truer flight path. With the nose up it still has the speed and rim width to really get some massive skip flights.

And since you asked the previous fellow - I throw the disc both forehand and backhand, and it is one of the most reliable pieces of plastic in my bag for controlled D.

-Chris.

I have seen a few golfers use beat up star xcals for this. Its never worked for me, they dont see to have much glide, but i guess thats just me. I throw backhand only, but lately ive been loving the pro wraith, when its new its kind of like a beat up boss.

ChrisWoj
Aug 24 2011, 02:55 PM
I have seen a few golfers use beat up star xcals for this. Its never worked for me, they dont see to have much glide, but i guess thats just me. I throw backhand only, but lately ive been loving the pro wraith, when its new its kind of like a beat up boss.
Really? I love the amount of glide on an XCal. Brand new they're a little bit too quick to fade, but even brand new they have enough glide to hold a nice straight-to-fade shot at 430 or so... and beat in slightly they hold a great flex shot line out over 480 for me.

John Hernlund
Aug 31 2011, 06:49 PM
The best flex shot discs will be over-stable (always reliable hyzer out of a steep anhyzer turn) and have lots of glide.

The Destroyer has the best glide in my own experience (though there are many others I haven't tried), at least for those already mentioned above. It is a great flex disc when new, but after it beats up it becomes a long turn-over driver instead. I use a new Star Destroyer with a lot of dome for my long flex shots (even works well into strong headwind). The Champion Boss is also good (it is not a good newbie disc, BTW!), and tends to beat in a little slower than the Destroyer in my experience. For mid-range flex shots I used to employ the over-stable ESP Cyclones that first came out in that plastic, but the newer ones aren't at all the same. Thus I went back to the Champion Banshee, which works lines very reliably and always flexes back but doesn't have the same amount of glide. For short flex shots I'm using the Pig, which is the only putter-like disc I've found that actually flexes out reliably without requiring a ton of nose up release.

pterodactyl
Sep 01 2011, 12:32 PM
as long as you throw them high enough (in cases where understable discs are involved). Oh ya, and all discs are roller discs too.

Patrick P
Sep 01 2011, 07:45 PM
The best flex shot discs will be over-stable (always reliable hyzer out of a steep anhyzer turn) and have lots of glide.

The Destroyer has the best glide in my own experience (though there are many others I haven't tried), at least for those already mentioned above. It is a great flex disc when new, but after it beats up it becomes a long turn-over driver instead. I use a new Star Destroyer with a lot of dome for my long flex shots (even works well into strong headwind). The Champion Boss is also good (it is not a good newbie disc, BTW!), and tends to beat in a little slower than the Destroyer in my experience.

I agree with your first point and do like the overal glide with Destroyers. I used to throw flex shots with new stable destroyers, but once they break in then I would turn them over. That's why I like the Xcalibur for flex shots, cause I know it will come back (most of the time). As long I give a flex shot some height and have lateral room to work with, then it's a great shot to get that extra distance. I'm also using the new Legacy Rampage for sidearm flex shots.

I can still use some slower discs to throw flex shots, but then I have to use some finesse. I'll throw Wraiths and even some brand new Surges, but I gotta make sure my release speed doesn't go faster than the disc speed to insure I get the S-turn.

futurecollisions
Sep 02 2011, 01:32 PM
Maybe I am confusing flex shots with hyzer flipping. What everyone is describing seems more like torquing over the disc to me. I throw pretty much everything on a hyzer release and let it flip up flat or anhyzer for a flex shot, i dont usually ever release on an anhyzer angle which may be why i like bosses instead of xcals.

John Hernlund
Sep 05 2011, 05:18 AM
Maybe I am confusing flex shots with hyzer flipping. What everyone is describing seems more like torquing over the disc to me. I throw pretty much everything on a hyzer release and let it flip up flat or anhyzer for a flex shot, i dont usually ever release on an anhyzer angle which may be why i like bosses instead of xcals.

A pure flex shot is performed with: 1) over-stable disc, 2) anhyzer release angle and 3) a bit of nose-up aiming for some height at the apex to work the "flexing out" of the disc during descent. The goal is to have the disc reach apex while still holding an anhyzer angle, but as it descends from the apex point it begins to hyzer out to flat (and beyond, if desired). For less over-stable discs, you need to compensate by decreasing the anhyzer angle at release.

If you throw a flex shot exactly like described above but using an understable disc, it will come out as a roller. The release angles for rollers and flex shots are similar.

Patrick P
Sep 06 2011, 12:56 PM
This past weekend I threw mostly Wraiths and Destroyers for flex shots. On my Wraiths shots, I would put the slightest anhyzer release, but with a lot of torque on it. The disc would gently turn, catch a little height, then once it reached apex, it started to fade back gently. I would say I would get maybe 20-30ft of lateral distance from turn to fade, making this a nice long mostly straight shot. For me the flex shot allows to get that extra distance, and it's a beautiful shot when it just slightly keeps the anhyzer angle just enough to get around a tree down the middle of a fairway and then fade around it vs. trying to throw a big hyzer angle to get around.

For the Destroyer I only used it a few times for flex shots. Mainly on a shot where I needed a low ceiling slight anhyzer shot and then fade back to straighten out to get down the fairway further.

I watched a guy who was throwing almost every shot forehand, flipping it slightly over, and then s-curve back. Had some great snap and that last leg of the flight gave him easily 50ft or more on his shot.

pterodactyl
Sep 06 2011, 02:03 PM
A pure flex shot is performed with: 1) over-stable disc, 2) anhyzer release angle and 3) a bit of nose-up aiming for some height at the apex to work the "flexing out" of the disc during descent. The goal is to have the disc reach apex while still holding an anhyzer angle, but as it descends from the apex point it begins to hyzer out to flat (and beyond, if desired). For less over-stable discs, you need to compensate by decreasing the anhyzer angle at release.

If you throw a flex shot exactly like described above but using an understable disc, it will come out as a roller. The release angles for rollers and flex shots are similar.

So John, you're saying that I can't throw a pure flex shot with a valk, roadrunner, or sidewinder? I beg to differ.

futurecollisions
Sep 06 2011, 04:35 PM

Yah, that is not really what I was thinking at all. I throw all my shots with a hyzer release that flips flat or anhyzers a little on its own, i rarely ever torque the disc over. The only time i can imagine releasing on anhyzer is for a long drive that i had to go up high over some trees maybe

bravo
Sep 07 2011, 09:12 AM
a flipped hyzer helix will get greater distance than an anhyzer release with an over stble driver.
when new players learn with over stable plastic there is a tendency to release anhyzer and the the disc corrects the release angle then flies forward a while and the drops out of the sky.
if the new players could learn with understable plastic then a hyzer release is ingrained in their form.
new players typically dont have the snap to flip an overstable disc from hyzer to helix.
once they learn snap the the discs need to be changed out to handle their new skills.
a roadrunner will go a long way with less effort than an excaliber.

Ryan McCarty
Sep 09 2011, 01:17 PM
The boss speaks for itself. I use a 175 champ boss on a slight anny for straight flex shots, I would also look into the new teedevils.

John Hernlund
Oct 08 2011, 05:54 AM
So John, you're saying that I can't throw a pure flex shot with a valk, roadrunner, or sidewinder? I beg to differ.

What you call a "flex shot" I would instead call a "turn over" shot. Valk, Roadrunner, Sidewinder, Any-Beat-Driver, are best for turn overs...the disc starts from flat or hyzer, and "turns over" to anhyzer through the apex. If you have the correct height, then it can "flex out" to flat and then to hyzer toward the end of the shot as it descends (the end of the "S"). The more under-stable the disc, the higher the apex needs to be for a given anhyzer angle through the apex. But a pure flex shot, to me, is all about flexing to hyzer the entire time the disc is in the air, which requires over-stable plastic and/or nose up/anhyzer angle at release. I like to think of a flex shot as being all flex, all the time.

JenniferB
Oct 09 2011, 07:27 PM
The basic misconception I see is that anhyzer is not a disc orientation during flight. It is a release angle. A flex shot is released anhyzer with a disc that will not roll out, but will fade back, either becasue it is so overstable that the thrower could not power it enough to make it roll, or the thrower powered down enough that it's high speed overstability took over. I throw flex shots with a max weight sidewinder quite frequently. The op is looking for a "hyzer flip" or "turnover" disc, which sounds like a pro wraith at his range.

John Hernlund
Oct 09 2011, 11:02 PM
The basic misconception I see is that anhyzer is not a disc orientation during flight...

Anhyzer is both a release angle, and an angle in flight. The fun thing about any throw is that it can be decomposed into smaller throws. That is, a throw starting from ground level, and rising up to an apex at 5 degrees anhyzer 40 ft above the ground with a flat nose angle at 30 MPH, will have the same finish as if you got up 40 ft above the ground and released 5 degrees anhyzer with a flat nose angle at 30 MPH, starting from that point. Thus, you can compose longer throws from smaller throws.

pterodactyl
Oct 10 2011, 02:58 PM
I used a buzzz to throw a flex shot on saturday, but I guess it's not called a flex shot because the buzzz isn't overstable. I guess it's a matter of semantics.

eupher61
Oct 11 2011, 01:21 AM
And there are those who call a righthanded shot, thrown with the right arm forward, sidearm...or forehand...or backhand...or overhand. And, righthanded with the right arm back....sidearm... or forehand...or overhand. There are few defined terms in this sport so far. Anhyzer CAN BE a description of a disc's path, it's used that way all the time. The angle of release is "releasing it on an anhyzer". My anhyzers usually end up in a bush. Me, I do a lot better drinking an Anheuser, and I don't mind the Busch at all.

pterodactyl
Oct 17 2011, 11:55 AM
I had a sweet flex/S/helix(or whatever you want to call it) ace this weekend at the NOrCal Championships!

deciuswtasby
Oct 28 2011, 03:04 PM
Thanks for alot of the feedback; I have gained some additional distance just from having a firmer grip; (i used to grip loosely) and can now throw 430 to 440 on flat release w/my eco star destroyers. I am looking into throwing Pro's as they supposedly have more glide.........

In regards to gaining anything more than that...........I've still got some time.....I've still been playing less than 2 years and have made some nice strides and besides......i'd rather have accurate/flat 420ft drives and solide upshots/putts than a 500ft shot I need tons of space to land. Sadly, i've learned that the hard way in some tourneys lol

pterodactyl
Oct 28 2011, 05:04 PM
Have you worked on a 360 degree approach when driving?

deciuswtasby
Nov 03 2011, 11:48 AM
Have you worked on a 360 degree approach when driving?

Flirted with them early on but haven't in awhile; I'll give em a go.....

bravo
Nov 03 2011, 08:18 PM
if a player throws a sidewinder / dx jls and its released with hyzer and high enough to travel some of its flight at hyzer then flip past flat to anhyzer then back to flat for the finish of its flight, it usually will finish forward insted of falling steep hyzer.