Lobo999
Aug 02 2011, 02:22 PM
Situation: A player marks his lie to make a putt.

Assume the putting distance is within 3 meters from the basket. Is it legal for the the player to take a step "up to" the marker (the step ensures the support point to be within the required 30 centimeters) and then release or do they have to have the support point fixed during the entire putt? The player will not steop through the putt after release.

Assume the putting distance is outside of 3 meters from the basket. Is it legal for the the player to take a step "up to" the marker (the step ensures the support point to be within the required 30 centimeters) and then release or even jump putt? Again the point of contention is whether the support point must be fixed and for how long.

cgkdisc
Aug 02 2011, 02:35 PM
First, let's say it's 10 meters which is the putting circle not 3 meters. As long as you have a supporting point like your foot within 30 cm behind your marker at the time you release your throw, it doesn't matter whether you were moving up to that point regardless whether you were inside or outside 10 meters. The only difference is that when you are outside 10m, you can continue past your mark after releasing the disc with a follow thru which can include jumping. Inside 10m you must demonstrate balance after your release and can't immediately walk thru.

Lobo999
Aug 02 2011, 03:13 PM
Apologies for the misquote on meters. Your clarification makes sense due to it's consistency with the allowance of a run up on any other fairway throw. However, does it not provide a decided advantage as compared to a standing putt by allowing the momentum of movement?

One additional question: If you are allowed to stride up to a point to where one support point is in line with the marker and within the 30 cm, I am asusming the rules would dictate that the other foot must come to rest no closer than the front edge of the marker and/or remain elevated and balance must be maintained?

I appreciate the clarification but it would seem that this would be a subject for debate if this method was used in a tourney. It is certainly not the norm.

geo
Aug 02 2011, 04:41 PM
It's pretty cut an dry. You can not advance past the REAR of your marker within 33ft. without establishing balance first. You can not have any point contact the ground past your marker until showing balance. If your other supporting point is in the air at the time of release and you show balance on one foot before advancing, then legal. I think almost everybody who putts this way does so outside of 33ft. You don't see any of the top pros walking up to their putts and going for it due to the fact it is pretty difficult to maintain balance and not advance forward while your momentum is going that way. I really don't see anybody gaining an advantage by putting this way.

JimKelly
Aug 18 2011, 03:07 PM
Hey Chuck

I was wondering if i can play left handed at the c-tier at Shawshank this weekend. I am a Pro right handed player. I have injured my right hand and can not use it at all. If the TD is ok with me doing so I would like to enter rec. division. I have only picked up left hand three weeks ago. I have entered and got last place in rec division during mini's using only my left hand.

Can a TD allow me to join in on the fun this weekend as a non pdga member (I paid the non member fee) under a name like Machine Gun Joe Kelly?

Or what steps do I need to do to make it all legit?

Later
Jim Kelly

jconnell
Aug 18 2011, 03:16 PM
Hey Chuck

I was wondering if i can play left handed at the c-tier at Shawshank this weekend. I am a Pro right handed player. I have injured my right hand and can not use it at all. If the TD is ok with me doing so I would like to enter rec. division. I have only picked up left hand three weeks ago. I have entered and got last place in rec division during mini's using only my left hand.

Can a TD allow me to join in on the fun this weekend as a non pdga member (I paid the non member fee) under a name like Machine Gun Joe Kelly?

Or what steps do I need to do to make it all legit?

Later
Jim Kelly
I think you may be able to petition to the tour manager for a waiver. Don't know if they'll go for it on a temporary basis like yours, but I know they gave one a couple years ago to allow a 930 rated am player to enter the Rec division after he lost his sight. After an event or two, his rating dropped down so that he could play Rec or Novice without the waiver.

If it comes down to it, I bet the TD could list you in your regular division but charge you the Rec fee and group you with Recs during the event. Only catch there is your rounds might get included in your rating...but they'll probably be low enough to be tossed out of your average anyway.

JimKelly
Aug 18 2011, 03:26 PM
If it comes down to it, I bet the TD could list you in your regular division but charge you the Rec fee and group you with Recs during the event. Only catch there is your rounds might get included in your rating...but they'll probably be low enough to be tossed out of your average anyway.

That sounds like a good option! I am not really concerned with the ratings aspect, just wanted to make sure there is a legit way of having fun this weekend.

krazyeye
Aug 18 2011, 03:47 PM
Jim you should just ask if the TD will put you on a card and let you play for free with no payout. No harm no foul really. You could be an official for a twosome.

cgkdisc
Aug 18 2011, 04:08 PM
I doubt you'll get a waiver since this has come up several times before. I know Brakel knew of someone who played opposite handed under a different name and maybe even got a separate PDGA membership for "that player." But that's not allowed. Playing exhibition as Krazyeye suggested may be best.

JimKelly
Aug 18 2011, 08:24 PM
Does this work? I can pay for rec. entry and play in rec. div. as long as I ask the TD to exclude me from payout? I just need to inform the TD its an exhibition round while donating my entry to the rec. division?

cgkdisc
Aug 18 2011, 09:04 PM
If you read section 1.6C in the Competition Manual you can play in a group as an official to make sure a group has at least three players. No entry fee required and you could play in any division that might need the extra player to balance groups if the TD is okay with it.

bruce_brakel
Aug 18 2011, 09:09 PM
If you quit talking about it with us, and instead talk to the TD, and you turn down the prizes, I'd think no one would know or care.

When it was me, I just paid my entry fee and played lefthanded:

http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/10730/Open

http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/10915/Open

If I knew someone who played under an assumed name lefthanded, my lips are as sealed as my memory is seared.

JimKelly
Aug 18 2011, 09:53 PM
The tournament has filled and a waiting list has been started. I decided to give my preregistered spot up to a healthy player. Thank you for the time and info.

Later
Jim

wsfaplau
Aug 19 2011, 12:07 PM
You could have pulled it off, however, major props to you for giving up your spot like that.

Here's wishing you good karma and a quick recovery.