RiX Perez
Aug 02 2011, 09:36 AM
So, as a habit.. on a putt inside the circle, I mark my shot with my mini then place the thrown disc in front and on top of said mini...I then putt from the mini. A fellow player suggested that I don't do this because he was stoked at a tourny for doing the exact same thing.

I have never heard this and wanted to get some thoughts on it. If I am wrong in doing this I will change my routine.

cgkdisc
Aug 02 2011, 09:48 AM
The main issue has to do with how you place the disc on or in front of the mini. If you drop the disc into position even from just an inch or two above the ground versus not release it until it's touching the mini and ground, it could technically be construed as a practice throw if someone wanted to call it. Read the Practice Throw definition and it doesn't matter if a "toss" is less than 2m if the "throw" is toward the target which it would be in the case of your procedure.

The other issue isn't a rule violation but potential confusion from other players watching for foot faults when it's not easy to see whether your mark is the mini or the previously thrown disc.

wsfaplau
Aug 02 2011, 12:03 PM
I think it is fine to do that if you want. That is no more a practice throw than walking up to your lie, putting your bag down in front of you, marking your lie and dropping your disc into your bag. Ridiculous to even mention a practice throw.

cgkdisc
Aug 02 2011, 12:32 PM
It's bad form regardless because you are placing something in front of your lie. It's a smaller scale version of placing your bag in front of your lie. Players can ask that you move your equipment to prevent it from being struck in the event of a rollaway. A disc is obviously not the same type of blocking hazard. But it's the overall concept of not placing objects unnecessarily in the potential "disc in play" area and not tossing toward the pin that just make the action appear inappropriate whether you call it or not.

johnrock
Aug 02 2011, 12:38 PM
But is it against any rule in the current rulebook? That is the op's question. If you're going to levy strokes, you need to be able to show it being against a rule.

cgkdisc
Aug 02 2011, 12:49 PM
Yes, players can ask a player to move their equipment in a few places (803.05A & 803.07A). And yes, a practice throw can be called if the disc is tossed on or in front of the mini if someone wants to call it (800 Definitions). And if the procedure bugs a player in the group, the player can call a courtesy warning if a player continues to do it after being asked not to (see 801.01C).

keithjohnson
Aug 02 2011, 12:53 PM
But is it against any rule in the current rulebook? That is the op's question. If you're going to levy strokes, you need to be able to show it being against a rule.

I know you all hate Chuck for anything he says - and I disagree with him at times, but he already answered the question.
If someone wants to call the player if he "drops" his disc in front of his mini, the rules allow it to be called, and answers the original posters question.

Going off on tangents and trying to make it into some semantical stupid discussion just confuses people more who are then spreading bad info to their friends and in 2 weeks someone else comes on here and says: Pete and John said it's ok so that's good enough for me.

Anyone who ever wants to tell me about a rule or non rule is handed my PDGA rulebook and asked to show it to me in there - otherwise I don't take message board rules as gospel. :)

Just my opinion,
Keith

tkieffer
Aug 02 2011, 01:44 PM
Dang, that shoots a hole in my 'but Keith said' argument.

johnrock
Aug 02 2011, 01:57 PM
The op never said he threw it or dropped his disc, he places it on his mini. Show me a rule that says he cannot do that.

cgkdisc
Aug 02 2011, 02:04 PM
Already pointed out, if another player in the group does not like that procedure, they can ask that it not be done because it involves player's equipment being placed on the course. I'm not saying I would call it or anyone should call it just that the rules allow it to be called which was the purpose of the OP. But it's not a 1-throw penalty unless the player proceeds to continue doing it and another player calls it more than once.

jconnell
Aug 02 2011, 02:15 PM
The op never said he threw it or dropped his disc, he places it on his mini. Show me a rule that says he cannot do that.
Placed or dropped or tossed, I think any of the above can be construed as a "throw".

Consider the "drop in" putt at the basket. By rule, the disc must be released and come to rest in the basket, right? Well, I've seen players (and done myself) reach in and set their disc down in the tray, pull their hand away for a moment to allow the disc to be "at rest", and then pull the disc out. In this case, you're not dropping/tossing/throwing/projecting the disc in the most literal definition, yet it counts as a throw and a hole out on the scorecard.

So if one is placing, even ever so gently, the disc in a position that is closer to the target than the rear edge of the marker, I think the case can be made that one is projecting the disc toward the target and could subsequently be called for a practice throw, or an actual throw and have to replace the marker (or just throw from behind the disc). I don't know that I'd ever get so nitpicky as to call it on someone, but I also would support a player who did want to call someone on it. It's a needless habit, so it shouldn't be difficult for the player to get into a new habit of marking the lie and removing the disc to a place that isn't closer to the target (bag, off to the side, behind, where ever).

I understand why players do it...to be able to pick up the marker and the disc in one motion after the throw. It's rather innocuous. However, it isn't really saving one that much time/energy, so it's not something that is essential to be allowed to continue either.

Aug 02 2011, 03:03 PM
I understand why players do it...to be able to pick up the marker and the disc in one motion after the throw. It's rather innocuous. However, it isn't really saving one that much time/energy, so it's not something that is essential to be allowed to continue either.

this could be the reason they do it or maybe theres 40-50 mph wind, like happens here in oklahoma..a mini acts like leaf here if the conditions are right :)

jconnell
Aug 02 2011, 03:07 PM
this could be the reason they do it or maybe theres 40-50 mph wind, like happens here in oklahoma..a mini acts like leaf here if the conditions are right :)
Two words...metal mini. :D

johnrock
Aug 02 2011, 04:14 PM
Not everyone is enamored with metal minis. I personally do not care for them, with the exception of the ones on my trophy wall. I try to keep the weight of my bag to a minimum so metal minis are out.

As far as reaching for the rule about a practice throw, that's pretty absurd. if someone in my event tried to work another player that way, I'd be thinking hard about DQ on the grounds of poor sportsmanship. If you're not providing a direct rule that says absolutely no way, you're trying too hard to get in someone's head, and that's not the way a real sport plays. I'll call you out and take my chances with the rules committee.

geo
Aug 02 2011, 04:46 PM
The only thing I would say to Chuck's response is don't you have to be "set" for a putt before it can be considered a putt/throw, etc? If neither foot is behind the mini, then are you taking a putt? I'm just talking within the circle. I agree with Chuck, it's probably a bad habit to get into.

jconnell
Aug 02 2011, 04:47 PM
Not everyone is enamored with metal minis. I personally do not care for them, with the exception of the ones on my trophy wall. I try to keep the weight of my bag to a minimum so metal minis are out.
It was a joke. I abhor metal minis too, at least in terms of practicality. But I've also played rounds in 40-50 MPH gusts and never had a golf-weight plastic mini get blown away from it's position, so I fail to see the real concern about it.

As far as reaching for the rule about a practice throw, that's pretty absurd. if someone in my event tried to work another player that way, I'd be thinking hard about DQ on the grounds of poor sportsmanship. If you're not providing a direct rule that says absolutely no way, you're trying too hard to get in someone's head, and that's not the way a real sport plays. I'll call you out and take my chances with the rules committee.
Chuck's already pointed out twice the direct rule. The definition of practice throw covers this action, and practice throws are allowed. Like I said already, I acknowledge that it's nitpicky to call. I wouldn't call it unsportsmanlike however. That'd be like saying that calling a foot fault is unsportsmanlike. If you think something is in violation of the rules, you call it. Period.

But by all means, take it to the rules committee. If they say it's allowable, so be it. But until they make an official ruling, I see no compelling reason to change my mind that it falls just to the illegal side of the rules.

johnrock
Aug 02 2011, 04:48 PM
@ geo: Did you intend to post this in the other thread?

johnrock
Aug 02 2011, 04:52 PM
I don't recall Chuck pointing to a rule that says you cannot put a disc on your mini. You may ask another to move their equipment, but nowhere does it say in my rulebook that you cannot put a disc on a mini. Especially if you're invoking the FLOP rule.:D

pterodactyl
Aug 02 2011, 06:50 PM
To call a practice throw would be absurd. Where is the intent of making a throw to the basket? There isn't any and that's why it's not a stroke for placing your disc ahead of your mini. It's actually a very good idea to place your disc in front of your mini before you putt. I've slid my disc to the side before, then before I putted I was distracted and had to back away. When I came back to my disc after the distraction I putted from my disc and not my mini. Now that's illegal! If your driver disc is in front of your mini, the problem will not occur and is my standard way of marking if I don't return the driver to my bag.

jconnell
Aug 02 2011, 06:54 PM
I don't recall Chuck pointing to a rule that says you cannot put a disc on your mini.
Really?

The main issue has to do with how you place the disc on or in front of the mini. If you drop the disc into position even from just an inch or two above the ground versus not release it until it's touching the mini and ground, it could technically be construed as a practice throw if someone wanted to call it. Read the Practice Throw definition and it doesn't matter if a "toss" is less than 2m if the "throw" is toward the target which it would be in the case of your procedure.

The other issue isn't a rule violation but potential confusion from other players watching for foot faults when it's not easy to see whether your mark is the mini or the previously thrown disc.
Yes, players can ask a player to move their equipment in a few places (803.05A & 803.07A). And yes, a practice throw can be called if the disc is tossed on or in front of the mini if someone wants to call it (800 Definitions). And if the procedure bugs a player in the group, the player can call a courtesy warning if a player continues to do it after being asked not to (see 801.01C).

johnrock
Aug 02 2011, 07:05 PM
Really! He's not showing me anything that says you cannot place a disc on your mini. You need to relax, take a deep breath, and read what has been posted. You seem to be adamant about this action being a practice throw, which in my mind could not be farther from the rule being cited. You claim that you wouldn't call it, because logically there is no need for this to be taken this far. If you can't show me in the rules where it specifically says you can't do that, then we're just going round and round about peanuts. You see it one way, I see it a different way. You use that "rule" in your events, and I'll stick to what I've been doing for years. If we ever meet in an event, maybe we'll have to get the TD to send an official with our group because we clearly have a big difference.

yoseman
Aug 02 2011, 08:06 PM
I have placed my mini down (gently so I don't get called on a PT) in front of the disc from my last shot and then whilst bent over have placed my disc on the top part of my mini, many, many times. I never do this until it is my turn, and then like some of the fellers said I pick them both up at the same time.
I will do this on drives, ups and putts sometimes to save from walking back and forth which IMO helps a more important issue.....speed of play.
Please don't give Chuck any ideas about making any kind of ruling on this. :)

PhattD
Aug 02 2011, 10:22 PM
Really! He's not showing me anything that says you cannot place a disc on your mini. You need to relax, take a deep breath, and read what has been posted. You seem to be adamant about this action being a practice throw, which in my mind could not be farther from the rule being cited. You claim that you wouldn't call it, because logically there is no need for this to be taken this far. If you can't show me in the rules where it specifically says you can't do that, then we're just going round and round about peanuts. You see it one way, I see it a different way. You use that "rule" in your events, and I'll stick to what I've been doing for years. If we ever meet in an event, maybe we'll have to get the TD to send an official with our group because we clearly have a big difference.

Chuck also never said that you can't place your disc on your mini. He said you have to be careful how you do it so that it couldn't be called a practice throw.

keithjohnson
Aug 03 2011, 01:20 AM
Dang, that shoots a hole in my 'but Keith said' argument.

Best post ever! :)

I just stand on my mini and kick my disc to the side while clearing loose debris from my stance before putting - on some of those slopes in Cali, I'll have to be careful as my disc may slide more than 2 meters away towards another basket and JohnRock might call me for a practice throw just to spite Chuck. :)

I see it all the time here in GA and around the country playing Events, so I'm used to it -the only time it really is an issue for me personally is when they COVER the mini with the disc and then stand off to the side when up against a tree or obstacle when line of play is clearly going to be an issue - so it kinda gives me the impression that they are looking to get away with something - as the only times it covers the mini is during awkward stances and in the wide open it never fails to be placed in front of the mini.

People will try to get away with stuff all time, and as long as everyone is playing by different sets of rules depending on the group they are in, Disc Golf will never be consistently scored or ruled upon.

I'm just going to go out there, have a good time, hopefully play well and place in the Semi-Finals - and see if I can beat my 4 hours of straight riding time on the Boardwalk Roller Coaster!

Looking forward to seeing everyone in 5 days,
Keith

Patrick P
Aug 03 2011, 03:33 AM
I don't see an issue with a player positioning their disc in front of their mini. Sometimes I pick up my disc a few inches from the ground and I will toss/place/laydown (whatever word you want to use to describe this action) it a foot to the side after I mark my lie. If anyone ever considers to call either of these two moves a throw, then their taking the game seriously to far.

As far as a player covering their mini with their disc, now common on that's silly, never seen that once, ever. I have seen players think that if their foot is near the mini this is proper stance. In a recent tournament, after my round, I witnessed a player standing behind but to the side of their mini, which was a clear stance violation. They were trying to straddle around a bush. They missed the putt, but I guess the card should have mentioned to the player they need to have a supporting point on the line of play within 30cm of their marked lie.

august
Aug 03 2011, 09:20 AM

If the disc is dropped downward 2 inches towards the mini on the ground, that is not towards the basket, it's towards the mini on the ground.

august
Aug 03 2011, 09:34 AM
It's bad form regardless because you are placing something in front of your lie. It's a smaller scale version of placing your bag in front of your lie. Players can ask that you move your equipment to prevent it from being struck in the event of a rollaway. A disc is obviously not the same type of blocking hazard. But it's the overall concept of not placing objects unnecessarily in the potential "disc in play" area and not tossing toward the pin that just make the action appear inappropriate whether you call it or not.

Players can ask others to move their equipment when it is their own turn to throw, but what right does a player have to make such a demand when it is another's turn to throw?

The bad form in all this is making a big deal out of it. There are more important things to spend time pondering.

RiX Perez
Aug 03 2011, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the feed back guys. I can see how it could be thought of as a distraction but I only do this when it's my turn to putt, then I pick up both mini and previously thrown disc. The main reason I do this is because I leave my bag pretty far away from the basket... I've seen missed putts roll VERY far and I don't want my bag to interfear with the roll.

seewhere
Aug 03 2011, 10:13 AM
just sit the disc to the side of the mini without going in front of the lie and where people can see if you are foot faulting or not..

twoputtok
Aug 03 2011, 12:03 PM
Screw the mini, just flip your disc.:p

Patrick P
Aug 03 2011, 01:53 PM
Should be the title of this discussion. We nitpick at the rules on board, but when it comes to events, seriously, none of this even comes about.

bruce_brakel
Aug 03 2011, 02:06 PM
So, as a habit.. on a putt inside the circle, I mark my shot with my mini then place the thrown disc in front and on top of said mini...I then putt from the mini.

I do that also. I thought I was the only one. I do it just to irk the guy who thinks I'm flipping my disc. :D

Paul Taylor
Aug 03 2011, 06:17 PM
Should be the title of this discussion. We nitpick at the rules on board, but when it comes to events, seriously, none of this even comes about.

I was thinking the same thing...

The members of the rules committee change every so often and when it does the opinions or clarifications of many rules change.

About 5-6 years ago, maybe a little longer, a similar question was raised about what constitutes the '2 meter' practice rule. The discussion at that time was about tossing the disc onto the top of your bag, be it in front of your lie, to the side or the back.

If i remember correctly Dave Dunipace was on the original rules committee when this topic was placed into the rules and finally chimed in on this subject. He said that the rule was worded as it was to stop the practice throw of a player and that 2 meter was just an arbitrary number that they came up with. It was meant to stop the PRACTICE THROW, not to be nit picked by everybody and their mother. Okay the last part of that sentence were my words, not his, but that was the jest of the rule. He did say that the rule was for a THROW, toward an object or target during a round.

To me a THROW would be, take a stance, reach back, move arm forward, release said disc, follow through.

In some of the above posts, it has been said that when you release the disc, that you are propelling it forward even if you are 'placing' said disc. If this is the case, then, when you place your disc in your bag and release it, then you are propelling it in a certain direction and that should cost you a stroke, and if that is what is being said then someone who shoots say, a 54 for the round, has actually shot a 107. 54 four each throw that he had, and 53 for every 'propelling' release of the disc into his bag. Of course you do not count the last propelling of the disc into the bag when he has finished his last hole because then the round is over....

Now if that is not asinine, I do not know what is....

wsfaplau
Aug 03 2011, 07:01 PM
Screw the mini, just flip your disc.:p

That was funny. If you had posted right after OP we could have avoided this whole thing

johnrock
Aug 03 2011, 07:03 PM
That's exactly where I was headed next. If they're going to claim that placing a disc on the playing surface (or on top of another disc or mini) is a practice throw, they're going to have to call a practice throw for each time a player puts a disc in their bag (if they happen to be standing with the bag between them and the target).

gvan
Aug 04 2011, 03:40 PM
To me a THROW would be, take a stance, reach back, move arm forward, release said disc, follow through.

It doesn't matter what you think a throw is. It's explicitly defined in the rule book.

Practice Throw: During a round, the projection of a disc of a distance greater than two meters, or of any distance toward a target, intentional or not, which does not change the player's lie, either because it did not occur from the teeing area or the lie, or because the player had already thrown competitively from the teeing area or the lie.

Throw: The propulsion of a disc that causes it to change its position from the teeing area or the lie.

krazyeye
Aug 04 2011, 11:06 PM
@Rix Perez.

I thought the way you marked your lie was odd when we played a few weeks ago. I also think that the person that tried to call some sort of infraction is not very bright and may be trying to be a jerk. You have a routine that is leagle. Stick to it if it makes you comfortable.

PhattD
Aug 05 2011, 12:41 AM
That's exactly where I was headed next. If they're going to claim that placing a disc on the playing surface (or on top of another disc or mini) is a practice throw, they're going to have to call a practice throw for each time a player puts a disc in their bag (if they happen to be standing with the bag between them and the target).

Once again I'd like to point out that Chuck never said placing a disc on your mini was a practice throw. He said you have to be careful how you do it so that it couldn't be construed as a practice throw. If you are placing it you are not projecting it and it doesn't meet the definition.

Patrick P
Aug 05 2011, 01:21 AM
Once again I'd like to point out that Chuck never said placing a disc on your mini was a practice throw. He said you have to be careful how you do it so that it couldn't be construed as a practice throw. If you are placing it you are not projecting it and it doesn't meet the definition. When I'm under the basket, I place my disc gently in the bottom of the basket, so does that constitute a throw? Don't answer that, I'm being facetious. I'm just waiting for someone to call me on a practice throw(s) when my bag falls over and 15 of my discs roll down the hill.

RiX Perez
Aug 05 2011, 08:59 AM
@Rix Perez.

I thought the way you marked your lie was odd when we played a few weeks ago. I also think that the person that tried to call some sort of infraction is not very bright and may be trying to be a jerk. You have a routine that is leagle. Stick to it if it makes you comfortable.

Lance... he didn't call an infraction on me, he just "informed" me that he was stroked at an event for that same set up. I thought it was strange because I'm still playing from behind my mini.

Hope to see you at Gonzo brotha!!!

And thanks to everyone who dropped some knowledge on the subject. I like using this forum for y'alls insight and expertise.

Poparosa
Sep 19 2011, 02:24 AM
So if one is placing, even ever so gently, the disc in a position that is closer to the target than the rear edge of the marker, I think the case can be made that one is projecting the disc toward the target and could subsequently be called for a practice throw, or an actual throw and have to replace the marker (or just throw from behind the disc). I don't know that I'd ever get so nitpicky as to call it on someone, but I also would support a player who did want to call someone on it.

So if I did not have a golf bag, would I have to leave my other disks at the tee so I am not projecting them when I walk with them to the basket? How about if I keep them against my chest when I walk?

Sorry - that just made me laugh when I read it. Glad to hear that you thought it was nitpicky, but there is no way I could support that if someone in my group tried to call this on someone.

jconnell
Sep 19 2011, 11:37 AM
So if I did not have a golf bag, would I have to leave my other disks at the tee so I am not projecting them when I walk with them to the basket? How about if I keep them against my chest when I walk?

Sorry - that just made me laugh when I read it. Glad to hear that you thought it was nitpicky, but there is no way I could support that if someone in my group tried to call this on someone.
Carrying the discs isn't projecting them. /nitpick

:P

pterodactyl
Sep 19 2011, 01:23 PM
Bring back flipping your disc!

august
Sep 22 2011, 09:13 AM
Carrying the discs isn't projecting them. /nitpick

:P

Neither is placing them on the ground ever so gently.......

rhett
Sep 22 2011, 08:19 PM
Taking two discs to the tee pad, surveying the wind and the line, and then tossing one of them on the ground while standing on the tee is technically a throw.

Patrick P
Sep 23 2011, 01:49 AM
Taking two discs to the tee pad, surveying the wind and the line, and then tossing one of them on the ground while standing on the tee is technically a throw. Yeah, I've seen some players do that before. During a practice round I jokingly called a buddy on it, nice drive there.

krupicka
Sep 23 2011, 08:03 AM
I've also seen player stand at their lie and toss their previous disc back to their bag. That's not a practice throw. That's a competitive throw.

ishkatbible
Sep 23 2011, 10:27 AM
I've also seen player stand at their lie and toss their previous disc back to their bag. That's not a practice throw. That's a competitive throw.

that happens all the time, but how far away is the bag? i believe we get what, 2 meters in any direction away from the target before it's considered a throw, and any distance towards the target?

krupicka
Sep 23 2011, 10:57 AM
Only for a practice throw is 2m is mentioned. If you are standing legally at your lie and throw a disc, that should be considered a competitive throw regardless of distance or direction.

Patrick P
Sep 23 2011, 12:38 PM
The great thing about these forums is that we can hypothetically discuss rules like this to infinity but in the practical world we wouldn't have the audacity to call someone on it.

rhett
Sep 23 2011, 03:45 PM
The great thing about these forums is that we can hypothetically discuss rules like this to infinity but in the practical world we wouldn't have the audacity to call someone on it.

True dat.

I firmly believe that if we had a few well defined/well called rules like this it would increase the legitimacy of our game to a sport, if nowhere else than our own minds. And that is where it has to start. :)

Think about it. You swig your beer and toss your disc your towards your bag while standing on the lie: that's a game. You systematically mark your lie with a mini, make sure you step off the lie to drop a disc on your bag, ensure your legal stance before throwing: that's a competition and sport-like!

Patrick P
Sep 23 2011, 08:13 PM
True dat.

I firmly believe that if we had a few well defined/well called rules like this it would increase the legitimacy of our game to a sport, if nowhere else than our own minds. And that is where it has to start. :)

Think about it. You swig your beer and toss your disc your towards your bag while standing on the lie: that's a game. You systematically mark your lie with a mini, make sure you step off the lie to drop a disc on your bag, ensure your legal stance before throwing: that's a competition and sport-like! Heck, all we need to do is make pleated khakis and ralph lauren polos a dress requirement and this game will be legitimized.

John Hernlund
Oct 08 2011, 12:02 AM
I once played with a guy who told me that, after placing your mini, it is illegal to touch the mini in any way, with any object, or with any part of your body...or to touch anything in front of your lie in any way, shape, or form, until after the disc had left your hand (outside the circle) or you had demonstrated balance after release (inside the circle). He said it "was a new PDGA rule." I was pretty sure he was wrong, but I do think the rule makes sense and potentially eliminates mischief.

In any case, I've decided to follow this rule anyways in PDGA tournaments, even if it isn't strictly a PDGA rule. After placing my mini, I move my previously thrown disc and lay it gently on the ground, well to the side and behind the marker (so it doesn't get in my way). My reasoning is that, nobody is ever going to call me for improperly marking my lie, or for a foot fault, because I'm following more strict rules than the rules call for...so I never even worry about what I'm doing is going to get called, and I can instead think about performing the next throw. The only time that I can't strictly follow the more stringent rules is if the mini has to be placed on top of debris (sticks and such) that extend back under the area where my point of support must be placed behind it...putting my weight down will inevitably cause the mini to shift, since it will shift debris that extends under the mini...

johnrock
Oct 08 2011, 12:20 PM
I once played with a guy who told me that, after placing your mini, it is illegal to touch the mini in any way, with any object, or with any part of your body...or to touch anything in front of your lie in any way, shape, or form, until after the disc had left your hand (outside the circle) or you had demonstrated balance after release (inside the circle). He said it "was a new PDGA rule." I was pretty sure he was wrong, but I do think the rule makes sense and potentially eliminates mischief.

In any case, I've decided to follow this rule anyways in PDGA tournaments, even if it isn't strictly a PDGA rule. After placing my mini, I move my previously thrown disc and lay it gently on the ground, well to the side and behind the marker (so it doesn't get in my way). My reasoning is that, nobody is ever going to call me for improperly marking my lie, or for a foot fault, because I'm following more strict rules than the rules call for...so I never even worry about what I'm doing is going to get called, and I can instead think about performing the next throw. The only time that I can't strictly follow the more stringent rules is if the mini has to be placed on top of debris (sticks and such) that extend back under the area where my point of support must be placed behind it...putting my weight down will inevitably cause the mini to shift, since it will shift debris that extends under the mini...

Do you always use your mini to mark your lie, or do you ever use the previously thrown disc as your lie?

Ever since the rule change, I almost always use the prev. thrown disc as my lie. It's almost like a game within the game to try to go through the whole round without using a mini.

rhett
Oct 08 2011, 12:38 PM

The logical next step would be to actually open your frickin' rule book and read the marking rule so that, from that point on, you would know the actual rule and not be at the mercy of whoever happens along and speaks in assured tones.

John Hernlund
Oct 08 2011, 10:13 PM
Do you always use your mini to mark your lie, or do you ever use the previously thrown disc as your lie?

I use which ever option gives me the best footing. Footing is usually the key issue at my regular courses. Same thing when I have to get down on a knee.

The logical next step would be to actually open your frickin' rule book and read the marking rule so that, from that point on, you would know the actual rule and not be at the mercy of whoever happens along and speaks in assured tones.

I didn't need to look it up, I knew he was full of crap. I adopted the rule for myself because I wanted to, not because I had to...