Jun 30 2011, 04:00 PM
Hello, here som questions for you. Sorry for the bad drawings, but I hope you get the point.

1) Look at picture mando1. You have to pass a double mandatory from left to right. Your disc (yellow) is landing close to the mandatory line. Where does the line of play go? Is it line A or B?

2) Picture mando2. Your disc is landing very close to the mandatory line on the good side (disc is yellow). You extend your arm and just drop the disc out of your hand. It lands on the green position. Have you crossed the mando with this "shot"? The disc has never crossed the line in the air, but by extending your arm.

3) Picture mando3. Your disc (yellow) is landing again very close to the mandatory line on the good side. You extend your arm and you release the disc at the green position. The flight of the disc follows the blue arrow and lands at the red position. By doing so, do you have crossed the mando correctly and can do your third shot according to the red arrow?

ishkatbible
Jun 30 2011, 04:07 PM
Hello, here som questions for you. Sorry for the bad drawings, but I hope you get the point.

1) Look at picture mando1. You have to pass a double mandatory from left to right. Your disc (yellow) is landing close to the mandatory line. Where does the line of play go? Is it line A or B?

2) Picture mando2. Your disc is landing very close to the mandatory line on the good side (disc is yellow). You extend your arm and just drop the disc out of your hand. It lands on the green position. Have you crossed the mando with this "shot"? The disc has never crossed the line in the air, but by extending your arm.

3) Picture mando3. Your disc (yellow) is landing again very close to the mandatory line on the good side. You extend your arm and you release the disc at the green position. The flight of the disc follows the blue arrow and lands at the red position. By doing so, do you have crossed the mando correctly and can do your third shot according to the red arrow?

1. just assuming - line a

2 and 3. wtf? is this something you've done or seen? and what made you think of this (no offense, but this just seems like you're just trying to waste time)

cgkdisc
Jun 30 2011, 04:11 PM
A

Yes, the disc did cross the line during a throwing motion. However, if it just fell or was bumped out of your hand, it's not a throw and there's no penalty. You just make your throw.

Yes. However, you better make sure the group sees what you're doing because the group determines whether your disc ever crossed the mando line.

jconnell
Jun 30 2011, 04:57 PM
Regarding the first diagram, intuitively, it would seem that line A is the correct LOP. However, in reading the rule verbatim, it says this:803.12 D. When marking hte lie, if the line of play does not pass the correct side of the mandatory, then the mandatory itself shall be considered the hole for the application of all rules regarding stance, markers, obstacles, and relief. For the purposes of taking a legal stance, the mandatory object which has not yet been passed, and is nearest the tee, will be considered to be the hole
The question becomes, has M2 been "passed"? If by passed, it is intended to be that the disc now resides closer to the target than the mando object, then I'd say yes. But if by passed, it is intended to mean that the mando has been successfully (or unsuccessfully) negotiated, then I think it can be argued that M2 hasn't yet been passed, and with it being the closest object to the tee, it should be the focal point of the line of play until the mando is negotiated.

Definitely a grey area in the rules since I think it's obvious that the rule was written with a single mando in mind and did not take into account double mandos such as the one described. Then again, I don't think such a mando would be found on any decently designed course in the first place. Talk about goofy.

Jun 30 2011, 06:06 PM
Yes. However, you better make sure the group sees what you're doing because the group determines whether your disc ever crossed the mando line.

Is it important to release the disc behind the mandoline (the green spot), or can you pass the mandoline in your throwing motion and release it before the mandoline on your second shot?

cgkdisc
Jun 30 2011, 06:34 PM
I think a righthander would maybe be taking a stance to throw a forehand with their arm holding the disc across the line and flicking back to the left per the diagram. The player would ask the group to watch that his arm with the disc crossed the line before making the throw to confirm the mando line was crossed in the process of making the throw. I'm not sure it matters whether the player releases the disc on one side of the line or the other as long as the arm movement and throw happens in one flowing motion after the player takes as stance.

stevenpwest
Jul 01 2011, 05:46 PM
Regarding the first diagram.... I don't think such a mando would be found on any decently designed course in the first place. Talk about goofy.

I like goofy. However, to avoid the confusion caused by a slanted double mando, I would make this two mandos. Left (perpendicular to the line from tee to target) of M2 and right of M1.

Serves the same purpose, but more interpretable.