slim___15288
Apr 19 2011, 03:59 PM
36th Annual Oklahoma Flying Disc State Championships
June 18-19, 2011

PDGA Sanctioned B-Tier Event

SIX field events (distance, accuracy, putting, MTA, DDC, Freestyle)
3 rounds of 18 holes at Haikey Creek park

ADDED CASH TO PRO FIELD, ADDED MERCH TO AM FIELD

TOTAL FIELD LIMITED TO 100 PLAYERS!!!!

Ring of Fire on Sunday (dont miss this)

HOLE SPONSORSHIPS AVAILABLE FROM NOW TO MAY 1 - $25 per hole, and you can pick which hole(s) you'd like. I will be UV coating the signs this time to avoid the fading that happened with the last batch of signs. These signs will stay out until the 2012 Haikey Creek Classic. Your company or organization logo will also be added to the tournament t-shirt, but only if i get your information and b/w artwork by may 1st!

slim___15288
Apr 19 2011, 04:16 PM
All Pro Divisions $ 44.00
All Advanced Divisions $ 39.00
All Intermediate Divisions $ 34.00
All Recreational Divisions $ 29.00
All Junior Divisions $ 19.00

Saturday Morning Sign-ups add $ 5.00
Non-PDGA Member add $ 10.00 (except juniors)
All Ladies deduct $ 5.00

Ace Pot $ 3.00
Closest To Pin $ 3.00

FIELD EVENTS:

Distance $ 5.00
Accuracy $ 5.00
Putting $ 5.00
Maximum Time Aloft (MTA) $ 5.00
Double Disc Court (DDC) $ 10.00 per team
Freestyle $ 10.00 per team

$10 merchandise voucher for participating in all events
$5 merchandise voucher for early online sign-up at www.pdgasignup.com

(online sign-ups are available now)

**********Saturday Schedule**********
Sign-ups until 8:45am
Rules Meeting 9:00 am
Tee Off 9:30 am

e-mail : [email protected]

Tournament Director : Bill ‘slim’ Moyers (918)852-6543

slim___15288
Apr 19 2011, 04:29 PM
your "player pack" discs will look like this:

http://members.cox.net/bmoyers/statelogo.JPG

and your limited-edition INNcolor discs (only 50 made, reserve yours today!)

http://members.cox.net/bmoyers/INNCOLOR2.JPG

sschumacher
Apr 19 2011, 05:58 PM
Is that Devon and Dorries on that InnColor???

When are those guys going to get real jobs???:rolleyes:

mtreat
Apr 19 2011, 06:15 PM
I thought the bottom guy was the General...

slim___15288
Apr 19 2011, 06:30 PM
I thought the bottom guy was the General...

your thoughts would be correct.

figured i'd capture the "past" and "future".. hahaha

evandmckee
Apr 19 2011, 06:33 PM
and the other cool thing about the Oklahoma State Championships week-end is........

http://www.tickets.com/widespreadpanic_bokcenter/

:D:D:D

Southpaw527
Apr 20 2011, 01:21 AM
Wow great call Evan! To bad it's not Further though.

slim___15288
Apr 26 2011, 12:54 PM
Online pre-registration is now available through www.pdgasignup.com!

$5 merchandise voucher for players who pre-register using the website.
additional $10 merch voucher for participating in all events.

HOLE SPONSORSHIPS ARE GOING FAST! I'd like to personally thank Hobbytown USA for their sponsorship of ten signs! Get Yours Today!!!!!!!

1 - Hobbytown
2 - Tulsa County Parks
3 - Hobbytown
4 - Michael Treat
5 - Hobbytown
6 - Adam Hunt
7 - Hobbytown
8 - Josh "nuke go BOOOM" Crowl
9 - Hobbytown
10 - Wayne "rust.never.sleeps", "Cool is as Cool Does", "Bark Side of the Moon" Forest
11 - Hobbytown
12 - Salesinamerica.com
13 - Hobbytown
14 - Crow Throw 2011 (Grateful Disc)
15 - Hobbytown
16 - The Line
17 - Hobbytown
18 - Hobbytown

lionofjudah
Apr 26 2011, 02:54 PM
Sign me up for all the events. I love Okie States. One of my favorite weekends of the year! Get your DDC teams together. That game is way too much fun! Here's a quick lesson to the game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP9QY_YZF7U

Also, I'll take hole #16. The Nuke makes that hole a lot easier! DISCRAFT!

NUKES GO BOOOOM!!

slim___15288
Apr 26 2011, 03:34 PM
Sign me up for all the events. I love Okie States. One of my favorite weekends of the year! Get your DDC teams together. That game is way too much fun! Here's a quick lesson to the game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP9QY_YZF7U

Also, I'll take hole #16. The Nuke makes that hole a lot easier! DISCRAFT!

NUKES GO BOOOOM!!

i will totally find a cheeseball picture of you and slap it on the tee-sign and it will read "sponsored by Josh "nuke go BOOM" Crowl......

lionofjudah
Apr 26 2011, 03:49 PM
okay. I'm dumb... I admit it... I was thinking 16 was 17. whoops. I'll take hole #8 please. I mean, I have aced that hole in the longs...

NUKE still GO BOOOOM!!

mtreat
Apr 26 2011, 04:37 PM
I will sponsor a hole, doesn't matter which #..

slim___15288
Apr 26 2011, 06:42 PM
the list is updated a few posts up -- looks like we have THREE holes remaining! better gobble em up now!

wforest
Apr 26 2011, 06:44 PM
... hey Slim ... I'll have your $25-for-mine at Centennial this weekend ...

slim___15288
Apr 27 2011, 11:28 AM
did i mention pre-registration is open?

Big Easy
Apr 27 2011, 03:37 PM
Slim you have P mail.
D.P. :D

mtreat
May 11 2011, 04:46 PM
I wanted to let you know I have decided to use this tournament to decide who will get our Oklahoma USDGC spot. I plan on using the method where the winner is decided based on how they play against their rating. Since this is the "State Championship" it seemed appropriate to pick this event to crown our delegate. We will only consider your disc golf rounds and not the field events.

This is how the actual USDGC champion will be determined in October. Once the tournament is complete I will send the scores to Jonathan Poole and they will run them through the model and notify me of the winner, runner up etc. If the winner cannot attend the spot will be offered to the next person and so forth until we find someone who can commit to going.

The only criteria is that you are a current PDGA member with a rating of at least 850.

The following comments have been copied and pasted from emails I received from Jonathan Poole and Harold Duvall:

__________________________________________________ _________________________
For the first time, the USDGC will use a performance-based system to determine the United States Champion. This style of play provides all players with a PDGA rating of 850 and above with an opportunity to compete fairly with one another. Quite simply, this format rewards those who play the best relative to their own skill level.

We are encouraging PDGA State Coordinators to choose an event in their state that will determine the USDGC Rep. Ideally the event you select will boast a large field with many different divisions. The bigger the better. Each 850+ rated player whose division plays the same course, pin and tee placements, and rotation, is eligible to earn the privilege to represent your state.

State qualifiers are not required to use this new format. If you do, the USDGC will make it as simple as possible to implement the performance aspect in an existing event. Once the event is over, your results will run through our performance-based calculations to determine which player receives the State Rep invitation. Should the winning player be unable to attend, you may invite the next highest finisher until a selection is made.

We just used Performance Scoring to determine the Maryland state rep and it was very well received. People thought that this was a fair way to select someone, especially since it's the format we will use in October. The MD winner was so excited to make it into the USDGC he was in tears. He called me to say how much it meant to him and he couldn't even get it out. He was that choked up. That is what the 2011 USDGC is about, right there. I am confident you will discover similar emotion.
__________________________________________________ _________________________

I hope you are excited to have a chance to attend this great tournament. I have attended as a spectator for the last three years and I can tell you it is a great trip, beautiful part of the country with a lot of courses, and probably the best ran event you will attend.

I will post more as needed but that is it for now..

slim___15288
May 19 2011, 11:37 AM
Be on the lookout for the "OFFICIAL" tournament flyer to hit your hands, hot off the presses in the next couple of days.

The layout for the tournament will play just like the course layout at the Am Jam. Holes 5 and 6 will be placed in their "long" configurations and holes 8 and 14 will tee from their "long" pads.

(for those of you who like to play the ratings game, SSA was around 54.4 last weekend. Even par will get you a four-figure rating.)

slim___15288
May 30 2011, 11:34 AM
We are going to be doing a raffle to help benefit our disc golf brethren in Joplin. The JDGC is a bunch of really good people. I'm asking for donations to the raffle anytime between now and June 19th. Please step up and help support a good cause.

kyle
Jun 06 2011, 01:21 PM
How many rounds of Disc Golf will be played?

arhunt
Jun 06 2011, 01:45 PM
How many rounds of Disc Golf will be played?

I believe the original post addresses this question.

slim___15288
Jun 06 2011, 03:46 PM
The "tentative" schedule looks something like this:

Saturday:
first round tee - 9:30
first round concludes - 12:30
second round starts - 2:00-2:30
second round ends around 6:00
distance, accuracy, and putting field events saturday evening (ddc first round possible at this time) (it gets dark around 9:00 so we'll have plenty of time for players to cycle through the 3 stations and play their DDC round.)

Sunday:
morning tee at 9:00am
golf ends around noon
MTA and DDC starting back up around 1:00
Freestyle after DDC is concluded
Awards

THIS IS ALL SUBJECT TO CHANGE!!!!!!!!

kwilkes
Jun 07 2011, 12:16 PM
3 rds of 18?

slim___15288
Jun 07 2011, 05:02 PM
yes. all three rounds will be of the same layout, also.

hole 5 - long pin (505 ft)
hole 6 - long pin (404 ft)
hole 8 - long tee (456 ft)
hole 14 - long tee (701 ft)

and... hole 18 is too easy... so i'm making it into an island hole. unless something changes between now and the tournament, the island will be in the shape of the state of Oklahoma. The basket will be somewhere around Stroud. :) there will be a drop zone to go to if you miss the island from the tee.

mtreat
Jun 07 2011, 05:06 PM
So the drop zone will be around Dallas or Austin??

Martin_Norris
Jun 07 2011, 05:49 PM
So the drop zone will be around Dallas or Austin??
more like Houston :D

MShip
Jun 07 2011, 07:10 PM
the basket should be set in the 918!

slim___15288
Jun 07 2011, 09:49 PM
...More like Waco.. ish... :)

slim___15288
Jun 14 2011, 12:52 AM
everyone please get signed up early! also note that I am charging an extra $5.00 for anyone who signs up saturday morning. if i have received your entry by thursday, you will be getting a merchandise voucher saturday morning. i will be out at shelter #3 (across the park road from 18s fairway) friday afternoon around 2pm to take signups and get folks signed up for friday night doubles.

kwilkes
Jun 15 2011, 10:40 AM
Don't forget to put my name on the pre reg. Thanks!!

slim___15288
Jun 15 2011, 02:55 PM
i got cha, buddy :)

i had a bunch of course things to do last couple days - gonna update with all the pre-registrations tonight. you are one of 'em. :)

kwilkes
Jun 15 2011, 03:24 PM
Thanks. I know you are super busy being an amazing volunteer so I thought I would remind you. Keep up the good work and if I won any mini money from Monday I'll grab it this weekend or next Monday. Have a great day.

m_conners
Jun 15 2011, 04:14 PM
USDGC qualifier eh? I like it.

mtreat
Jun 15 2011, 06:41 PM
And anyone has a good chance at making it because of the ratings system..

lionofjudah
Jun 15 2011, 08:06 PM
This weekend really looks like it is going to be a true OK state championship, at least in the Open division. I need to find my game for this one!

This is one of my favorite tourneys of the year. It's time for some MTA!!

kwilkes
Jun 15 2011, 10:30 PM
Get em Crowl. I'm looking forward to just hanging out with a good group of Open players we have here in Tulsa. Really good people!

slim___15288
Jun 16 2011, 10:53 AM
Thanks. I know you are super busy being an amazing volunteer so I thought I would remind you. Keep up the good work and if I won any mini money from Monday I'll grab it this weekend or next Monday. Have a great day.

pre-reg is up-to-the-minute. not as many as i would like, but hey - tomorrow and saturday morning are the two biggest signup days anyway.

Wilkes - you won open monday night and i owe you $34.

i'll have the rest of the tee-signs installed by the end of the day today as well as have the island painted. gonna wait till the heat of the day since we got a pretty big storm around 6am. i got plllllennnnty of other things to do in the meantime, so it's all gravy. :)

slim___15288
Jun 16 2011, 10:53 AM
i will be at the thursday nite flites taking signups.

reminder - this is the LAST day you will be eligible for the $5 merchandise voucher for an early sign-up.

slim___15288
Jun 16 2011, 11:10 AM
the list is now even more latest, greatest, up to datest.

slim___15288
Jun 17 2011, 10:58 AM
28 players took advantage of the $5 early entry promotion and will receive $5 off any disc during the weekend.

This means there are 72 spots available for the taking - all you have to do is sign up with me this evening (i will be at the course no later than 3pm) or tomorrow morning (a strict $5 fee WILL apply to all entrants who sign up tomorrow morning.)

with that being said...

<font size=4>IT IS OKLAHOMA FLYING DISC STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS EVE!!!!!!!!</font>

kwilkes
Jun 17 2011, 04:09 PM
Thanks in advance for your hard work Slim.

Big Easy
Jun 18 2011, 10:45 AM
Wanted to make it but....
Too much to do around OK Mozart late last night and early this morning.
2300 people enjoyed the Concert and following fireworks.
Maybe next year.
D.P.

MShip
Jun 18 2011, 09:38 PM
Good time today. It was hotter than I expected. Everyone should try to over-hydrate. Anyone know how Phil G. is doing?

slim___15288
Jun 19 2011, 01:35 AM
Scores for rounds 1 and 2 are now updated on the PDGA website. ignore the round ratings until i am able to adjust for the island hole on 18. Looks like we could have some very good finishes to this year's tournament!!

if i had to venture a guess on the front-runner to the USDGC spot, take a look at 887 rated LEE JOSHUA leading intermediate with two rounds averaging 978 golf!!!

kwilkes
Jun 19 2011, 09:57 AM
Huge props to Slim for getting the ratings up same day of event. Like it or not part of sanctioned events criteria for being a quality event is day of postings. I am very impressed. Great work. Off to the course to hang for a fee hours to watch how the three way tie for open plays out.

kwilkes
Jun 19 2011, 03:50 PM
Devon wins Open. He smoked the 3rd round. 1056 rated would be my guess. Congrats!

slim___15288
Jun 19 2011, 08:52 PM
nice call Kyle! 1055 is the unofficial rating.

Mini at haikey tomorrow night at the regular time. i left the island intact - if it stays that way, we will play tomorrow night's mini with the island for one last hurrah.

Thanks to the 62 who braved the heat, the sacrifices of having non-daddy-related father's day commitments, and missing McIlroy destroy the field at the US Open. You guys really made this easy for me. Six events is an awful lot to do in one weekend. Thanks for your kindness and patience in helping me get things done. I hope i provided a fun tournament with a noteworthy payout.

Next year will be the 2012 Haikey Classic. that should be cake compared to what i did this year.

i do want to know something - out of all the field events, which was the most fun?

twoputtok
Jun 20 2011, 09:37 AM
Thank you Slim had a good time. Congrats to Eric Raney, he played SOLID on Sunday. Even if I had played well, I couldn't have hung with him on Sunday. It was his day. Great shooting, next stop Alma.

Since Dr. Jim got second, is he an official Pro Grand now?

kwilkes
Jun 20 2011, 10:21 AM
Did he take the cash? If so congrats Dr.

mtreat
Jun 20 2011, 10:55 AM
A lot of people left before payout, I think Dr. Jim was one..

wforest
Jun 20 2011, 11:08 AM
� further notes on Slim�s efforts and accomplishments � just imagine all the preparation and time and planning you must pour-in prior to an Event � it�s Huge � he had organized and set-up with TWO other Full-Time-Staff people and helpers � along came circumstances of �work� and �illness� ; because hey, things happen � cool enuff � Slim STILL had the chops to pull it all off � without a hitch � his time-and-energy ; his vision ; his tireless-efforts made him like a one-man-gang � heckuva Job , Slim �

wforest
Jun 20 2011, 11:10 AM
� in advance of Slim�s final-reports, tallies, and full-up spreadsheets ; I�ll hit your focal Spotlight to the Net Results of the Weekend �

� OKLAHOMA 2011 OVERALL STATE CHAMPION �
PRO Men : Sam Nielsen

PRO Women : Miranda Fulton

AMATEUR Women : Phoenix Rogers

AMATEUR Men : (tie) CO-CHAMPIONS : Gary Harrison and Kevin Jones

chuckbob
Jun 20 2011, 11:11 PM
Thanks to Bill and staff for a great time. The tournament was well-conceived and well-run. I always have fun playing in Tulsa because I invariably meet some excellent folks. This time around I got to play 3 rounds with the State Coordinator and the "Tire Man." Had great times. (Even though the aforementioned State Head Honcho bested me in a 1 hole playoff. Thanks, Bill, for making sure I left with some plastic even though I didn't eke out the win.) I must say that mtreat is a great gentleman, a good golfer, and good fun to play with. The "Tire Man" is also a hoot to play with, as well. Thanks for making me feel welcome, 918'ers.

jgeurin
Jun 21 2011, 08:44 AM
Yeah, I took the cash. My wife has been after me to turn pro. She wanted me to be able to write off my disc golf expenses (losses) on my income tax. Now she is happy.

twoputtok
Jun 21 2011, 09:44 AM
Then that was the best DNF I have ever had.:D

Welcome Jim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the camera guy
Jun 22 2011, 09:32 AM
added a few images...

http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k266/garyE500/ok%20state%20champ%202011/

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k266/garyE500/ok%20state%20champ%202011/state1103.jpg