flyinfox
Mar 25 2011, 03:40 PM
Im looking to become a TD and was just wondering how one would go about doing so.

jconnell
Mar 25 2011, 03:59 PM
Im looking to become a TD and was just wondering how one would go about doing so.
To become a PDGA TD, first one must become a Certified Rules Official. The test is available through the Pro Shop link at the top of any page of this site.

If you are interested in running a PDGA event this year, I recommend sanctioning it first then taking the test since when you sanction, you get a code to take the Official's test for free. To sanction, follow the instructions found on the TD Welcome Page (http://www.pdga.com/tdinfo).

If you don't necessarily want or need to run a PDGA event, there's no special training necessary. All you have to do is pick a date, pick a course, decide on the details and away you go.

I would recommend that before you take on the task of running an event on your own, you find a local event run by a veteran TD and offer to assist in running it. I don't know of a TD that would turn down an offer of assistance when it's given. Whether it's prepping the course prior to tournament day, setting things up the night before, manning the registration table in the morning, helping to check and re-sort cards between rounds, or any of the numerous other tasks needed during the course of a tournament, any and all experience is invaluable. It also gives you a good idea of what you are in for when you decide to run a tournament for yourself. It's never as easy and simple as it looks from the outside.

davidsauls
Mar 25 2011, 04:14 PM
A lobotomy, a generous heart, and thick skin.

No, kidding, prior post is the correct answer.

The PDGA stuff for tournament directors includes some very good checklists that will help you.

The basic answer is that the only actual requirement is to be a current member and official (which means you passed the rules test). That, an a willingness to do it. To be a GOOD TD is where all the rest comes in.

cgkdisc
Mar 25 2011, 04:38 PM
TD resource links: http://www.pdga.com/tdinfo/resources

flyinfox
Mar 25 2011, 04:47 PM
Thank you all for your replies i have found all of them most helpful. Helping TD at first sounds like a geat idea. I'll prolly start ther and read thru th erule book a few times.

Thanks again

Patrick P
Mar 31 2011, 01:00 PM
Great advice on all the prior posts. Definitely volunteer for several events and work alongside a TD prior to taking on this task yourself. There are so many little details that you will pickup to help you prepare for your first TD event. Attracting volunteers to assist will help immensely between having a mediocre event and a well run-organized event.