BillyAce
Mar 24 2011, 04:45 PM
Hey guys I just wanted to know if anyone else is going to attend the event this year? I am almost 100% on going to play junior <19. I just have to talk the parents into it and get the $$ to go. If anyone else from Oklahoma is going it would be cool

bravo
Mar 24 2011, 05:02 PM
i hope to make the trip, with the family as well, as none of us have seen niagra falls.
apparently the falls are just an hour and a half away.
there may be a few tulsa frolfers making the trip.

BillyAce
Mar 25 2011, 01:12 AM
That would be something awesome to see! It sounds to be a great experience all around.

Southpaw527
Mar 25 2011, 11:17 AM
I will be there...

I will be driving, so send me a pm and we will talk more about it.

bravo
Apr 05 2011, 08:31 PM
new pdga rule at worlds will keep me from playing another worlds tourney.
it is my understanding that smoking a cigarette during the rounds will be grounds for disqualification.
i wonder what is going on in the heads of the board of directors.
the idea that a member driven association would support such a decission is beyond my understanding.

BillyAce
Apr 06 2011, 12:40 PM
That is a stupid rule. And I wonder of I can be disqualified if my parents smoke during the tournament. Because they both smoke and of so...they will be pretty mad

Southpaw527
Apr 06 2011, 01:02 PM
To the best of my understanding that is not a new rule...Where did you see that BVA?

Currently you have to ask your card before the round starts if it is ok with a majority of the group to smoke...If they say no and you light up during the round it would be a warning then if you did it again it would be a stroke...

Billy unless your parents are caddying for you they are all good...

mutt
Apr 06 2011, 07:17 PM
http://www.pdga.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=28983

its under other topics

BillyAce
Apr 06 2011, 11:09 PM
Okay that's good to know! Thanks.

Southpaw527
Apr 06 2011, 11:34 PM
Mutt, you put a link to a thread that only has opinions on it..

It does not say anything about an actual rule or Worlds anywhere...

mutt
Apr 07 2011, 12:34 AM
they said the board voted on it on the first page of the thread (i think). It is not in the rule book at this time. I have not seen a official statement anywhere though.

Southpaw527
Apr 07 2011, 01:49 AM
I was just hanging out with Dave Feldberg "a cigarette smoker" and he did not mention anything...he is on the P.D.G.A. board.

bravo
Apr 07 2011, 11:15 AM
the decision was made during the january tele conference board meeting.
the minutes of that meeting are posted above, by a non board member.
i have spoken to mr gentry and he has confirmed.
he has requested an email from me so that he can take it to the board.
he is very approachable and courteous.
he was not privy to the discussion or vote.
from the minutes the decision was made to enforce first at pdga majors.

Southpaw527
Apr 07 2011, 12:43 PM
Well IF this is true it's a step in the right direction...

I hate having a smoker on my card, everyone thinks they are the most considerate smoker but half way through a round most people stop thinking about it...

It still seems weird to me that I have not seen anything at either NT that I have attended this year or on the Masters thread which is a Major about this topic...

Besides smoking a cigarette is the same to me as drinking a beer or taking a hit...and you already can't do the last 2 so you might as well ban all 3...

Honestly I think it's an advantage for someone to be able to smoke a cigarette after they have had a bad hole or something.. I have to just work through it on my own...

bravo
Apr 08 2011, 10:27 AM
maybe the smoker who is not allowed to smoke becomes he double hockey stiks to be around, when without cigs.
out of all the rounds ive played in 5 years the ones i remember the most are the rounds with somebody out of control.
the long lasting effcts of left handed smoke and alchohol taken before a sanctioned round could also be calming for those players.
cigs dont have the same long term benifit.

bravo
Apr 08 2011, 10:40 AM
It still seems weird to me that I have not seen anything at either NT that I have attended this year or on the Masters thread which is a Major about this topic...

the ruling is to be enforced at worlds.
while speaking to the tds in new york they said it is legal to smoke cigs at their parks,
it may not be legal in some california parks.

Southpaw527
Apr 08 2011, 01:22 PM
Hey BVA sorry I missed your call last night, I was at work..Dave was not smoking during the round, he just tends to mention new rules, since he is known for knowing the rules.

I have been seeing this elsewhere so I am starting to think it's true.

2nd hand smoke has been proven to be very hazardous to others health, so when you think it's your right to smoke during rounds around other people, you're kinda saying you think that you are better than the people around you....

I guess in the end it sucks to be addicted to something...

Personally I am ready to enjoy all that fresh, clean Upper New York air!

bravo
Apr 08 2011, 07:26 PM
2nd hand smoke has been proven to be very hazardous to others health, so when you think it's your right to smoke during rounds around other people, you're kinda saying you think that you are better than the people around you....

smoking during rounds with respect to those around you is allowed for by the printed rules.
out door second hand smoke dosnt hurt any one.
the smell may agrivate some even eritate others, thats why its up to the smoker to be courteous.

feelfroggie8
Apr 09 2011, 08:59 AM
^^^^^^^^
misinformed
Second hand smoke is second hand smoke

Weather you are inside or out

BillyAce
Apr 14 2011, 03:52 PM
It's official.
http://www.pdga.com/announcements/2011-worlds-non-smoking-policy

Southpaw527
Apr 14 2011, 05:13 PM
I can't wait to enjoy all that clean upper New York air!!!

twoputtok
Apr 18 2011, 12:47 PM
No big surprise, the PDGA think they have an exclusive with us and total control, just like our government. With rising membership fees, little or NO PDGA support for events, high sanctioning fees and insurance fees, they are just going to make their market smaller and smaller. Now, watch for non-sanctioned tournaments to start offereing bigger and bigger payouts, because they will attract a larger crowd.

The new rule is well within their rights to install and enforce, it is their organization. It will also be a rule that appeals to all the non-smokers. Good luck with that, not even the PGA was stupid enough to enforce that rule.

Also, please note that this is intended as a test run, with the intentions of making ALL pdga events non-smoking in the future.

IMO they don't bring enough to the table to act like they're paying for dinner, let alone acting like they own the restaurant.

mtreat
Apr 19 2011, 03:28 PM
First of all, the PDGA shouldn't be compared to the government. They are our sole representing body and they are doing a good job. I don't remember when memberships prices went up even though the cost of just about everything else has.

Sanctioning fees and insurance are unchanged over the last several years. When is the last time you sanctioned a tournament Dave?

Those non-sanctioned tournaments haven't worked out on a large scale. Think about Southern Nationals, how did that work out?

When is the last time you saw a PGA player smoking on TV??? I have never seen a PGA player smoking.

The PDGA provides our governing body. It is a large part of what makes us an "organized sport". By that I mean they provide rules, technical specifications for equipment, a rating system and you can see results from across the country. Good luck with that for the non-sanctioned crowd. What are you going to use, Facebook?

Who is going to decide if a new basket is "legal" or a disc or any other peice of equipment. An organization with out rules and regulations is only an undiscplined mob.

I understand the frustration as it wasn't too long ago I was a smoker. Now I am only addicted to my nicotine lozenges!! I totally understand how enjoyable smoking is while playing.

If you disagree with this your best bet is either emailing me so I can forward them to the PDGA or let them know yourself how you feel.

Based on what I heard concerning "warnings" at the GBO this weekend, there is certainly a trend to change certain images most people have of our sport.

Personally I would understand and support no smoking at Junior events. Other than that I think adults need to make their own choices.

Slamming the PDGA on this board isn't going to do much. Letting them know how you feel, and why, might..

What are you bringing to the table???

twoputtok
Apr 19 2011, 04:44 PM
First of all, the PDGA shouldn't be compared to the government. They are our sole representing body and they are doing a good job. I don't remember when memberships prices went up even though the cost of just about everything else has.
Membersips went up 2 years ago and are projected to increase again next year
Sanctioning fees and insurance are unchanged over the last several years. When is the last time you sanctioned a tournament Dave?
The first Centennial Cup and after that I'm not into running sanctioned events.

Those non-sanctioned tournaments haven't worked out on a large scale. Think about Southern Nationals, how did that work out?
Worked okay for me, I got over $400 for a 3rd place finish. The year before DJ got around $1400 for 1st in MPG. 3rd this year at the GBO paid $275 and 1st paid $600.

When is the last time you saw a PGA player smoking on TV??? I have never seen a PGA player smoking. Don't kid your self buddy, they smoke like a grass fire. The cameras just don't show it. Have you ever seen Climo smoking on a video? Well follow him around sometime, you may be surprised.

The PDGA provides our governing body. It is a large part of what makes us an "organized sport". By that I mean they provide rules, technical specifications for equipment, a rating system and you can see results from across the country. Good luck with that for the non-sanctioned crowd. What are you going to use, Facebook? As a supporting org that charges dues or a membership, that is what they should do. But to announce a major change like this after players had already begun booking flights and hotels is out of line.

Who is going to decide if a new basket is "legal" or a disc or any other peice of equipment. An organization with out rules and regulations is only an undiscplined mob. Not a good example...........all I'll say is look at the last basket they approved.

I understand the frustration as it wasn't too long ago I was a smoker. Now I am only addicted to my nicotine lozenges!! I totally understand how enjoyable smoking is while playing. I don't have a problem going without for a few hours. I have to for my job on more than one occasion. If a tournament had a no smoking rule, I would make a decision at the time if that was a problem. We are talking about a tournament that is in place, invitations sent out and entries coming in, then they add the rule.

If you disagree with this your best bet is either emailing me so I can forward them to the PDGA or let them know yourself how you feel.
Trust me, the PDGA is well aware of how I feel on a few subjects.

Based on what I heard concerning "warnings" at the GBO this weekend, there is certainly a trend to change certain images most people have of our sport. Smoking was not what they were addressing and that aspect of it needs to be hidden away at PDGA public events. That is nothing new and has always been the rule. The GBO was stressing on it because the City may start providing real sponsorship next year and they want to make a good impression.

Personally I would understand and support no smoking at Junior events. Other than that I think adults need to make their own choices. Agreed

Slamming the PDGA on this board isn't going to do much. Letting them know how you feel, and why, might.. Uhhhh......is this not a discussion board? Meaning to discuss topics and opinions? Sorry if my opinion doesn't fit your new PDGA State Coordinator role in disc golf.
In addition, some of the PDGA changes with our rules and other topics have come from this discussion board, because its not as easy to ignor.
I have sent more than one email to the powers that be, from rules viloations, to a simple clarification on an issue.
Sorry but I have yet to see a backboned response of any kind out of them on any issue, I just get the political correct answer.

If all this offends you, please feel free to use your ignor button and you'll never be bothered by my rants again.

What are you bringing to the table???

I bring my annual membership fee, countless tournament fees and my particiaption in events that they sanction. Sorry being an admin and/or SC doesn't mean you bring anything more than the next person, there are a lot of us that do for Disc golf in many different ways, they just may not have an official title.

mtreat
Apr 19 2011, 05:26 PM
I support and believe in the PDGA.

If I didn't, it would be pretty hypocritical of me to ask for everyones votes to take over as S.C.

I understand your ticked off about the smoking issue.

Would you have voiced your other concerns today if not for that single issue?

If we want more exposure, which equals more courses, better equipment and everything down the line we need a solid governing body. I think we have that in the PDGA.

By the way, you're the last person I would chose the ignore button for. You're the reason I signed up for Facebook!!!!

twoputtok
Apr 19 2011, 06:01 PM
I support and believe in the PDGA.
Big surprise there.
If I didn't, it would be pretty hypocritical of me to ask for everyones votes to take over as S.C. I thought you were elected by the players of this State, not appointed by the PDGA. I didn't realize that the SC position was a minionship, my bad. Did you give them blood to?

I understand your ticked off about the smoking issue.
No you don't understand, it's not the smoking issue. I stated earlier, it's their org they can can install any rules they see fit. Its' about implementing the rule in the fashion that they did. In addition to that, I think it is a bad rule.

Would you have voiced your other concerns today if not for that single issue? I deal with issues as they come up and one can lead to another.

If we want more exposure, which equals more courses, better equipment and everything down the line we need a solid governing body. I think we have that in the PDGA. Yes, the PDGA is what we have and yes we need a governing body but just because they are the PDGA does not automaticaly mean they are perfect and it does not take away our right to disagree.

By the way, you're the last person I would chose the ignore button for. You're the reason I signed up for Facebook!!!!

You may re-think that one...................

SInce I like to bring up other issues..........did the club pass another budget extension like Obama or do we have one yet?:cool:

mtreat
Apr 19 2011, 06:10 PM
Dave, I can ride this train with you all day...

Why would you make a crappy comment about it not being a big surprise that I support the PDGA, whats up with that comment??

I said I asked for votes, you know SC is voted not appointed. When I give blood it is to the Red Cross.

You know the TDSA has a budget and we review it every meeting.

If your feeling froggy, jump...

twoputtok
Apr 19 2011, 06:19 PM
Dave, I can ride this train with you all day...

Why would you make a crappy comment about it not being a big surprise that I support the PDGA, whats up with that comment??
For the same reasons as you. You go and take a pius attitude and ask what I'm bringing to the table? SC / Admin doesn't make you any better than any member you SERVE and it doesn't mean you bring more to the table than another person. We all have our ways of contributing.
Some just don't require a title.

You know the TDSA has a budget and we review it every meeting.

If your feeling froggy, jump...

JUMP! I have heard about a budget but have never seen one.

Your turn.........Jump!

mtreat
Apr 19 2011, 06:30 PM
My question about what are you bringing to the table was wrong. I was trying to say that I viewed your comments as destructive rather than productive. But, you are entitled to your opinions.

I am here to serve the members and I understand that.

Check your email the budget is there.

Southpaw527
Apr 20 2011, 01:11 AM
Wise you say your problem is with how the PDGA implemented the rule, well they approved it in January according to the homepage.

Also you made a big deal about how late they brought up the rule and how people have already made hotel reservations etc. Well that is weak argument because I have been asking everyone, even created a thread about interest in Worlds and I have heard very little, let alone people making reservations and such.

And with the Pro Worlds it is more of a fire safety rule. Otherwise I would agree with you and my Dad that the Am's should be the only one with the rule.

twoputtok
Apr 20 2011, 10:39 AM
You would have to do a little more reading than just this thread, It doesn't affect 99.9% of our players, I don't know of any locals going.

Fire hazzard I understand, as for the Jrs and Ams, it is already illegal in most all states for anyone under 18 to smoke. But if it's truley for drought reasons, then why just no smoking from the time play begins to the time you turn in your card? Is the fire danger less before and after your round?

But as I said in the beginning, it's their org, they can do what ever they want.

sschumacher
Apr 20 2011, 12:43 PM
I agree with Wise. If the non-smoking policy came in after invitations went out and hotels were booked then bringing in this rule after the fact is BS.

There are probably going to be backups during the worlds so why shouldn’t someone be able to step away from the group and have a smoke?

I’m not trying to promote smoking and I would tell anyone thinking about taking it up to not do it. But if the PDGA is going to do that then they need to start drug testing the winners at major events as well. College and professional sports drug test so if the PDGA wants to be professional then they should fall in line as well and not just pick and choose.

You know why they don’t???....Because they would probably lose 50% of their members.

Face it. Disc golf is a GRASS roots organization and a newbie only needs to look no further than the parking lot to see that. Thank God for Cheech and Chong!!!

We should not forget our forefathers and the trail blazers of the past!!!

The PDGA should do like Disney with Touchstone Pictures and create separate “Adults Only” organization that can bring alcohol and “Go Daddy” sponsors in.

And Treat, quit trashing the non-sanctioned crowd. Most non-sanctioned events around here lately have been kicking the sanctioned events 3 to 1 in attendance and providing funds back into the club for course improvements.

We don’t need no stinking ratings!!! :p

Around here it should be TDSA first, PDGA second and right now the TDSA hasn’t even raised the quota of cash to payoff the PDGA for the conceived privilege of letting us do the OO.

You're either with us, or against us.:rolleyes:

Are you going to ban smoking at the OO? How about drug testing those winners to make sure they aren't on some perfomance enhancing drug???

How about banning “Red Bull” as well because it tends to make people talk too much.:)

twoputtok
Apr 20 2011, 01:18 PM
Damnit! Do not freaking agree with me!

mtreat
Apr 20 2011, 02:17 PM
Furdog, just banning you would be simpler..

mtreat
Apr 20 2011, 02:21 PM
Possible great idea, lets sell those electronic cigarettes at PDGA events.

We could make a fortune!!

sschumacher
Apr 20 2011, 03:22 PM
Most of the people at PDGA events already have vaporizors. They just don't have an extension cord long enough to thread through the entire course which is why the TDSA should start running AC outlets to all teepads.

To all you members and non-members out there!!!

Despite what Treat, his minions, and other admins might tell you, when I show up at the TDSA meetings to do my duty as an elected Admin I'm there as your voice, not the voice of the PDGA and I'm there working for the little people that are tired of PDGA taxation without representation!!!

Keeping Tulsa dollars in Tulsa and not in some pan-handling touring pros pocket so he can pay his child support, rehab bills, and take trips to Europe!!!.:rolleyes:

I'm talking equally split budget between course improvement, Am and Pro events!!!

I'm talking about always include a Riverside or Chandler side event for the hacks that don't want to pay the PDGA fees!!!

I'm talking Supercolors in EVERY AM player pack and not having to spend $20 to get one!!!

I'm talking "smokes if ya got 'em"!!!

I'm talking as long as you're reaching into the cooler for a beer, get me one too!!!;)

I'm talking about mulligan's for days when you need a rewind button!!!:o

I'm talking fart if you feel like you have too!!!

It's us against them and there are more of us then there are of them!!!

Rise up and trust in me and the Chandler Moose will bless you!!!:)

mtreat
Apr 20 2011, 03:50 PM
I have never heard you say any of the things you listed.

You always want bigger pro payouts even if the ams suffer.

You want more money to the PDGA and less to the players.

You want no TDSA minis if there is a PDGA sanctioned event within a 1000 mile radius

You want to charge $30.00 for Inncolors.

You want no smoking or drinking at any event including mini's.

Why would you get on here and contradict yourself?

Trust me people, Obama has already began his campaign and it looks like the Furry one has too.

By the way, all the glow stuff at Chandler Stock, he bought it super cheap from the Japan Nuclear Regulatory Commission.

twoputtok
Apr 20 2011, 05:41 PM
You're both political hacks!
and Obama would be proud of both of you.

mtreat
Apr 20 2011, 05:45 PM
Hey, you added the Obama part on later. How can you edit without it showing??

I see, you are secretly tapped into the PDGA exclusive IT department..

Want to see my birth certificate??

twoputtok
Apr 20 2011, 05:52 PM
Wise you say your problem is with how the PDGA implemented the rule, well they approved it in January according to the homepage.

Also you made a big deal about how late they brought up the rule and how people have already made hotel reservations etc. Well that is weak argument because I have been asking everyone, even created a thread about interest in Worlds and I have heard very little, let alone people making reservations and such.

And with the Pro Worlds it is more of a fire safety rule. Otherwise I would agree with you and my Dad that the Am's should be the only one with the rule.

Just so you know and since you don't read other threads. You are correct in the fact they voted in it in January but did you note that they chose not to announce this until April?

This next statment comes from the biggest PDGA bag tagger, Lagrassa:

Again, I really only question the timing of this issue. For the board to vote on this in Janaury and then fail to formally announce it until April and after Worlds invites were accepted and folks had already made travel plans is really quite unacceptable. I also agree to an extent that optimally, the motion should have been passed and announced in October or November 2010 to allow those who were truly opposed to the principle of the matter to let it be a factor on deciding whether to renew with the PDGA for 2011.

See Matt, its not about the rule but the timing of it.

Southpaw527
Apr 29 2011, 12:57 AM
I just signed up for Am Worlds!..

I am driving and would love some company/ help with gas, room, etc.

If you have never been to a Worlds it is amazing, there are several local golfers that have made one just ask them how awesome it is..

PLEASE contact me soon if you want to go, I want to get some serious plans together.

Come on people we are talking about a road trip to upper state New York "stopping in Ohio and playing at least 1 of the courses used in last years Worlds" and getting to play some of the most challenging/beautiful courses you will ever encounter..

BillyAce
Apr 29 2011, 03:38 PM
I'm hoping to go. I just have to get the parents to agree and find some way to funraise/sponsor a trip to go

evandmckee
Apr 29 2011, 03:47 PM
Hey Matt, can we smoke in your car?? :D

Southpaw527
Apr 29 2011, 05:17 PM
Evan my policy for smoking in the car has always been as follows...

Ladies smoke for free..

Guys pay $0.25 per smoke...

Southpaw527
Apr 29 2011, 05:19 PM
Billy let me know...

And talk to the OKDGF, they were created to help amateur golfers out...

Southpaw527
May 06 2011, 12:27 PM
I just found an incredible price on a fully furnished apartment for New York..

If you are seriously considering going to Worlds PLEASE post on here or contact me directly 918.724.6781. If we can get 4-5 golfers together this trip will be super cheap..

Ask anyone that has been to a Worlds, it is amazing and you will never forget this trip...

BillyAce
May 11 2011, 12:30 PM
I will be attending worlds this year. Due to some recent bad health problems with my mom and that hospital bill I could use as much help as possible. If you'd like to help me here's a link.
http://www.gofundme.com/4le0g
Thanks again!

omegaputt
Jul 26 2011, 01:56 PM
Most scores are posted, Gary shoots LIGHTS OUT! Keep it up guys!

If any of you guys there are reading this board, share some strories!!

omegaputt
Jul 26 2011, 02:00 PM
ADV:
Pool C
James Porter
Matt Treat
Toby Prince

ADV Master:
Heath Whitley

U-19
Gary Harrison
Cody Greenfield
Billy Engle

ADVGM:
Charlie Chung

Who am I missing? I'm sure there is more...

Scythe311
Jul 26 2011, 07:39 PM
Gary's first round rated 1031...lettin' em know!!

jemtay17
Jul 27 2011, 01:05 AM
25 min and 18 seconds into the AM highlight video from Field Events you might see a young Junior we all know so well! Check it out!

kwilkes
Jul 28 2011, 03:16 PM
What happened to Gary??

twoputtok
Jul 28 2011, 05:19 PM
He went from leading it to out of it 18 strokes back.

kwilkes
Jul 28 2011, 10:33 PM
It was 13 strokes. Now 20 plus. I guess it didn't matter for the title. That hopefully makes it easier.

twoputtok
Jul 29 2011, 08:45 AM
I just got a message that he didn't miss any holes and that it was an EPIC meltdown.

kwilkes
Jul 29 2011, 09:43 AM
OB's??

Martin_Norris
Jul 29 2011, 12:00 PM
Worlds is like few other events that an am can compete in. It is much more like a ball golf event, with many rounds over the course of more than 2 days. Lots of things can bring a golfer down, time, fatigue, focus.
I even saw it with some players at the 2006 in Tulsa when local players started out hot and faded as the hole count rose. It is just something that is hard to practice for unless you can just take off work or school and spend a week attempting course record rounds (at lest 2 a day) for a week and even then the head games are hard to duplicate. It is part of what being a pro is all about, the drive, endurance and focus. I bet Gary will work on it the rest of this year and come out even stronger next season. :cool: