ishkatbible
Mar 22 2011, 11:18 AM
i ask because this came up a few years ago, with no actual decision. but a recent DQ brought it back up in my mind.

since you need what 12 or 13 holes to get a rating, a final 9 isn't "official" although you still play for prizes and placement. if i (or my caddy) opened up and drank a beer during the final 9, is that cause for DQ?

cgkdisc
Mar 22 2011, 11:45 AM
If you qualify for the Final 9 but decide not to play, you still get the last place prize in the Final 9 and you are done with competition but not done acting properly while the event continues. Read section 3.3 on Player Misconduct in Competition Manual and you'll see that participants are still subject to rules of behavior. But you could be drinking once you quit play if you're of legal age and that was allowed in the Park, for example. The only thing that's not official about playing in a Final 9 is that ratings aren't produced. Caddies are subject to the same conduct constraints as their players whether they're playing or not until the tournament ends.

lukasicek
Apr 05 2011, 08:16 AM
When player qualifies for semi or finals and he did not want to play these holes should he be listed as DNF as per rule 803.13 (3) Holing out? Or it is considered late arrival (never) and rules 1.5 from competition manual is in place (If a complete round is missed, or if a player does not finish a round, the player may, at the discretion of the director, be disqualified.)? Or something else?
Thank you

jconnell
Apr 05 2011, 09:02 AM
When player qualifies for semi or finals and he did not want to play these holes should he be listed as DNF as per rule 803.13 (3) Holing out? Or it is considered late arrival (never) and rules 1.5 from competition manual is in place (If a complete round is missed, or if a player does not finish a round, the player may, at the discretion of the director, be disqualified.)? Or something else?
Thank you
It's a late arrival. If he never started the round, he couldn't fail to hole out per rule 803.13A(3). He gets par + 4 per hole and basically finishes last amongst those that qualified for the semi or final (still ahead of those who didn't).

lukasicek
Apr 05 2011, 09:43 AM
Maybe an example would be better:
All players (1,2,3 and 4) complete first round at tournament with 3 rounds of 18 holes and finals of 9 holes
- Player 1 will finish 9 holes of second round and get injured before first throw on hole 10.
- Player 2 will finish 9 holes of second round and get injured after first throw on hole 10.
- Player 3 will get injured before 1st throw of second round.
- Player 4 will complete all 3 rounds, make it to finals and get injured before start of finals.
- Player 5 will complete all 3 rounds, make it to finals and get injured after first throw on hole 1 in finals.

And result will be (as i understand the reply):

DNF = Player 2, Player 5
par + 4 score (DNF is at discretion of TD) = Player 1, Player 3, Player 4

thanks for validation

krupicka
Apr 05 2011, 09:51 AM
From the competition manual:
D. Any eligible player who chooses not to participate in a semi final or final shall receive cash or prizes equal to finishing last in the appropriate cut.

jconnell
Apr 05 2011, 09:58 AM
Maybe an example would be better:
All players (1,2,3 and 4) complete first round at tournament with 3 rounds of 18 holes and finals of 9 holes
- Player 1 will finish 9 holes of second round and get injured before first throw on hole 10.
- Player 2 will finish 9 holes of second round and get injured after first throw on hole 10.
- Player 3 will get injured before 1st throw of second round.
- Player 4 will complete all 3 rounds, make it to finals and get injured before start of finals.
- Player 5 will complete all 3 rounds, make it to finals and get injured after first throw on hole 1 in finals.

And result will be (as i understand the reply):

DNF = Player 2, Player 5
par + 4 score (DNF is at discretion of TD) = Player 1, Player 3, Player 4

thanks for validation
They are all DNF. DQ is at the discretion of the TD (waiving rights to prizes, etc). Rarely do TDs DQ a player for failing to complete the tournament. Those players are just listed as DNF, reason doesn't matter.

However, player 1, 2, and 5 would simply be DNF, never subject to any par + 4 penalties. Players 3 and 4 could be subject to par + 4 at the start of the next round. This assumes that they didn't inform the TD that they were withdrawing and were listed on a scorecard for the next round.

The reason this distinction is important is that Players 3 and 4 can return to finish the round they didn't start simply by taking the par + 4 penalty for any holes they missed. Players 1, 2, and 5 withdrew during a round and therefore can not return to complete it.

bruce_brakel
Apr 05 2011, 10:06 AM
As to the original question, it is up to the TD whether the Final 9 is going to be sanctioned, and it depends on whether it counts towards the tournament finish. There are a few sanctioned tournaments that have unsanctioned Final 9s, but only a two I can think of.

Moreover, there is no reason to assume that in an unsanctioned tournament you are playing by some of the rules but not all of them. Whether the no-alcohol rule is in effect does not depend on whether the tournament is sanctioned, but on whether the tournament director is enforcing that rule. At many of the sanctioned tournaments I play, that rule is not enforced.