natevanee
Mar 13 2011, 01:05 AM
Hi everyone,
my brothers and I just recently joined the PDGA and are planning to play as many tournaments as we can this season. However, without having prior tournament experience or ratings it's hard to decide which level to sign up for when registering. I can look at scores/round ratings at previous tournaments at the courses and compare that to how I typically score at those courses; but how do I know what rating fits what level?

For example... if I typically shoot somewhere around a 54-60 at Vallata-AST in Madison WI, I see that it's rated around 996-940 at last years Mad city open. My question is... What does that mean level-wise?

Rec: xxx-xxx
Intermediate: xxx-xxx
Advanced: xxx-xxx

What ratings fit what level?

Also, obviously playing in a tournament will add stress/strokes to a newcomers game. How should I factor that in while choosing my first tournament?

I want us to have a positive experience obviously and do well; but I also don't want to feel like a "sand-bagger" or a jerk. We may not have much tournament experience, but we do play several times a week. Can anyone offer suggestions or guidance?

cgkdisc
Mar 13 2011, 01:18 AM
You've got a good start on seeing where your scores fit in. Here's the chart that shows you the ratings ranges for the divisions:

http://www.pdga.com/documents/divisions-ratings-points-factors

I would suggest playing in a division at or just below what you normally shoot on that course in your first event because it's usually tough to shoot as well in the beginning until you can adjust to tournament play.

bruce_brakel
Mar 17 2011, 11:09 PM
I agree with Chuck. I've seen so many good casual players play well below their expectations at their first tournament. It may be that they never knew about THAT rule, or the change in the pace of play, or the intensity of playing for prizes and a rating, or something else. Tournaments are different. No one will fault you if you win or do well in Rec or Intermediate once and then move up. Long time rec and intermediate players, like myself and my daughters, understand that there will always be new, good players who are moving through the divisions.

And once you get a rating, even if everyone else ignores ratings where you play, there's no bagging by playing your rating at a PDGA tournament. There are some locales where 2/3rds to 4/5ths of the locals play up a division. That is their choice. Your choice is your choice.

Patrick P
Mar 18 2011, 05:58 PM
Good advice by the comments above and I agree on both. I would say since your averaging around 960 (Advanced rating) in practice, then step down a notch for the tournament and play Intermediate. If you play consistently well in tournaments as you do in practice then you can step up to Advanced after several events. Your tournament rating will guide you to what division you should be playing after a few events.

natevanee
Mar 18 2011, 11:15 PM
Thanks for all the great advice, I really appreciate that. I'll be taking this all to heart very soon as the weather here in WI warms up and spring finally comes!

pgyori
Apr 14 2011, 03:01 PM
I think that the correct division generally becomes clear after even just 1 tournament, although there are a good number of players who fall into a "tweener" category (almost too strong for 1 div, almost too weak for the next div up).

General rules of thumb:

If you feel like you've played poorly, but still finished top 1/4 of the field, you're probably in the wrong division, move up.

If you feel like you've played great, but are still in the bottom 1/4 of the field, you're probably in the wrong division, move down.

Of course, some people just like to play against better competition, and consistently finish in the bottom 1/4 of the field, but are comfortable competing in that division. There's very little external disincentive if you want to play up a division.

The converse, however, is not true. There can be a significant amount of external pressure for someone who consistently finishes at the top of one division and doesn't move up to the next.

Patrick P
Apr 27 2011, 01:02 PM
Another consideration is how you're playing at other courses other than your home course. See how you play at courses you never played.

quickdisc
Apr 29 2011, 04:51 PM
Some are good players , until they play in a tournament and poop the bed so to speak.

Some can play great during practice then tank during the tournament.

If you win a certain division , think about moving up to the next division !

jimimc
May 05 2011, 11:30 AM
Besides rating, wasn't there a list of suggested skills for each division. Pros should be able to throw x amount of ft, make 7 out of 10 putts from 25' etc. I remember seeing this a few years back, but can't find it anymore.