frogponddiver
Jan 20 2011, 04:42 PM
Chuck, I know that you can limit the divisions you offer for a tournament, but can you limit entry into the offered divisions by rating?
I know that players may play in my division for which they are eligible, but wanted to know if limiting entry by ratings is allowed. The idea would be to help those tournaments that may fill quickly. For example, if you hd a pro-advanced tournament, with only open and advanced divisions (no intermediate or rec), could you limit registration to players over 935 for the advanced division?

cgkdisc
Jan 20 2011, 05:19 PM
Yes, upon approval from PDGA HQ of your proposal. For example, the Am Nats has had a minimum rating requirement although players with ratings below that could get invites in qualifying events if they played well enough.

bruce_brakel
Jan 24 2011, 04:42 PM
Point of order.

If someone specifically directs their rule question to another member, and that member's answers seems to contradict the actual rule, am I out of order for pointing out the applicable rule?

veganray
Jan 24 2011, 04:54 PM
Point of order.

If someone specifically directs their rule question to another member, and that member's answers seems to contradict the actual rule, am I out of order for pointing out the applicable rule?

I try to do so, but it takes an exhausting amount of sweeping to clean up behind the particular elephant to which you refer.

krupicka
Jan 24 2011, 04:58 PM
Now why would anyone look at the first rule in the book? btw Is that book covered by the new test?

cgkdisc
Jan 24 2011, 05:44 PM
Okay, so I modified my post above making it a requirement for approval not just a BTW notice to PDGA HQ. The answer is still "yes" that divisions can be restricted but it would likely be an X-tier under that restriction. There's a section on the Sanctioning form called Local Conditions where TDs indicate any special format or rules considerations they would like to or need to use. This is used to determine whether the event becomes an X-tier and/or players can receive ratings.

bruce_brakel
Jan 24 2011, 06:07 PM
Thank you for the reality check. I often find myself wondering, "Is it just me, or does that likeable and very valuable volunteer/contractor require a lot of sweeping?"

See, Competition Manual 1.1(A).

cgkdisc
Jan 24 2011, 06:15 PM
I knew this format would be approved as an X-tier having discussed it a few times with Dave over the years including when the Mid-Nationals was active. But you're correct, it's not allowed by default.

august
Jan 25 2011, 11:07 AM
I knew this format would be approved as an X-tier having discussed it a few times with Dave over the years including when the Mid-Nationals was active. But you're correct, it's not allowed by default.

Well, maybe one day Default will allow it also.......