dugang
Jan 06 2011, 09:54 PM
Hello Chuck.

I know the age limit to play Masters is turning 40 in that calendar year. But on the home page I saw where SEVERAL people have proposed to raise that by 5-10 more years. Do you think that is going to happen before 2012 Worlds in N. Carolina? I will be turning 40 July of 2012, and already have plans of playing in that Worlds as a AM MASTER. Don't have to train for something if I wont be eligible for itt. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. dugang

cgkdisc
Jan 06 2011, 10:30 PM
I don't see it happening for a few reasons. It's already too late to change age ranges for 2012 even if some initiative came out of the blue I haven't heard about. Players are earning points right now thru 2011 to earn invites for Worlds in 2012.

We already have data that shows pro performance starts declining during their 40s, adding about one throw to their scores every five years (i.e. losing about 10 rating points). We haven't looked at Ams but presume there's a similar decline among established Ams. So there's no skill reason to change age ranges. Second, Advanced Master men is our largest age based division and growing. There seems to be little incentive to disrupt one of our more successful divisions.

dugang
Jan 06 2011, 10:49 PM
this is very good news. Thank you so much.
Don't care what happens after that AM WORLDS, as I plan on making the jump to MPM after that tournament. I figure being a member since 1994, I'm probably ready. I just know these Advanced players I compete against now are getting better and better every year. I know my scores to local Masters blow them away, but I am still just 38 until July.

Thanks for the quick response.

Doug
PDGA#7648

DiscGolfMinded
Jan 07 2011, 12:51 PM
What reasons have been established for changing the age stipulations in the division?

cgkdisc
Jan 07 2011, 01:27 PM
The initiative behind the last age change, which boosted all age division lower limits by 5 years in 2000, was that players from 35-39 would still remain competitive in Open. That's been proven reasonably accurate over the past 10 years. But the decline in performance does appear to start around age 40 on average so there's no technical support for raising the age again.