illyB
Dec 22 2010, 11:08 AM
Just got the new rule book a couple of days ago and noticed that wedgies no longer count as completion of the hole in disc golf. I'm sure there is a reason they don't count but I would like to hear others' opinions. What happens if your disc goes through the chains and wedges in the other side of the basket? At that point is it how much it has wedged through or does it matter? What if it wedges all the way through? More than half through?
The new rule also states that if the disc is hanging from a nub it no longer counts as completion. What is the call if your disc is laying on two nubs, flat on top of the lower entrapment section, with half the disc outside the pan, half inside the pan?
Just curious as where to draw the line in these new situations. I've never heard anyone complain about either of these scenarios in the past.

davidsauls
Dec 22 2010, 11:38 AM
Though I dislike the change, I have heard people complain about the old rule. Their principle is that a wedgie from the outside is a bad shot---it missed the target area (above the rim of the basket) and just got lucky to stick. There's also room for debate on a wedgie that sticks for a few seconds before falling out.

james_mccaine
Dec 22 2010, 12:00 PM
I applaud this decision.

A side story. I have played with Mitch Mac for a long long time. He used to use one of those flimsy putters that would always wedge. I use a stiff one that never wedged. I moaned and moaned about the inequity, and always told him that I was going to propose a Mitch Mac rule that didn't count wedgies. Well, wouldn't you know, I am playing with Mitch for the first time in two years, and I wedge my putter in the side. I had previously never wedged one, either in practice or a tourney. He had to remind me to go get the thing before it popped out. The disc golf gods made sure he witnessed my moment of fortune.

He is not going to like this new rule. :)

DShelton
Dec 22 2010, 12:17 PM
It's not all that complicated. The rule says that

1) If you do not see the disc wedging into the basket due to obstructions, then the wedgie counts.

2) If you see that the disc goes into the basket from the top and wedges, no matter how much is sticking out, it counts.

3) If you see the disc wedging without going over the top of the basket, it does not count.

Other than that the disc MUST be supported by the chains or basket only, in order to count as holing out.

DShelton
Dec 22 2010, 12:19 PM
I applaud this decision.

A side story. I have played with Mitch Mac for a long long time. He used to use one of those flimsy putters that would always wedge. I use a stiff one that never wedged. I moaned and moaned about the inequity, and always told him that I was going to propose a Mitch Mac rule that didn't count wedgies. Well, wouldn't you know, I am playing with Mitch for the first time in two years, and I wedge my putter in the side. I had previously never wedged one, either in practice or a tourney. He had to remind me to go get the thing before it popped out. The disc golf gods made sure he witnessed my moment of fortune.

He is not going to like this new rule. :)

I have a friend that practiced all last year at wedging his putter into the basket on any casual round he played. He said if the rules allowed it, he was going to use it, especially for uphill holes. I think he too will be upset at the new rule.

illyB
Dec 22 2010, 12:20 PM
DShelton, where do you see those three points?

cgkdisc
Dec 22 2010, 12:21 PM
Take a look at the PDGA front page and the putting picture.

DShelton
Dec 22 2010, 12:27 PM
DShelton, where do you see those three points?

It's in the new rules. The three points are supported but the words in red.

B. Disc Entrapment Devices: In order to hole out, the thrower must release the disc and it must come to rest supported by the chains and/or the inner cylinder (bottom and inside wall) of the tray. It may be additionally supported by the pole. A disc observed by two or more players of the group or an official to have entered the target below the top of the tray or above the bottom of the chain support is not holed out.

Thus if you can't see the disc enter the basket, it counts. If you see enter from the top and wedges, it counts no matter how badly wedged. If you see it enter below the basket, it does not count.

illyB
Dec 22 2010, 12:42 PM
Thanks guys. When I first asked, I didn't see the update to the rules school.

DShelton
Dec 22 2010, 01:00 PM
Thanks guys. When I first asked, I didn't see the update to the rules school.

It hadn't been posted when I first commented either. I did read the board's discussions on the rule changes, which helped out a lot.