gvan
Nov 12 2010, 02:27 AM
Help! I have to make a decision right away. =-)

Here's my problem. I am running a tournament this weekend at 2 parks. Each division plays one round at their starting park and then switches for the second round.

A week ago I estimated turnout based on registrations and split the divisions between parks.

Rec and Int are at park 1.
Pros, Advanced, All Womens div are at park 2.

in the past 2 days, the last minute registrations have poured in and...

Park 1 is full
Park 2 has ~30 spots available.

It's too late to swap the divisions around. Is it legal to have some INT and REC start at Park 2? They would not be able to group up according to scores for the second round because they would need to go to the other park.

I don't see anything in the competition manual that addresses this. Technically, course conditions could change.

I hate to turn folks away, but want to be completely legal.

brock
Nov 12 2010, 04:11 AM
are you using snapching's set of rules?
if so, consult rule #1 http://www.snapchingthegame.com/

gvan
Nov 12 2010, 04:19 AM
uhhh... no. PDGA rules =-)

jconnell
Nov 12 2010, 08:24 AM
I don't know that it's specifically illegal, but I would imagine players might find it a bit unfair to have their division split over two courses. Especially if there is no way to combine or reshuffle the players by score after they've all played a round at each course (like if it was a two-day event).

What I mean by unfair is what if conditions at Park 1 change between the morning and the afternoon? Say the wind kicks up big time at Park 1 in the afternoon and it's a relatively open course...the players in the other pool (the one that started at Park 2) would be a distinct disadvantage playing the course in far windier conditions while the rest of their division plays the more tree-sheltered Park 2 where the wind isn't as much of a factor.

It's a tough spot to be in to have to turn people away, but considering you've filled early, it shows you have a popular event. Sometimes players have to realize that if they don't get in early on a popular event, they might not get to play at all, and it would be no fault but their own. Unless you can shift an entire division to make more room, I wouldn't recommend allowing any more Intermediate or Rec players sign up. The latecomers will just have to be quicker to sign up next time. Either that, or if they are really desperate to play that tournament, they can play up and register in Advanced.

junky
Nov 12 2010, 08:25 AM
are you using snapching's set of rules?
If so, consult rule #1 http://www.snapchingthegame.com/

hahahaha

cgkdisc
Nov 12 2010, 09:17 AM
Multiple pools isn't considered a problem. However, a champion hasn't been crowned directly from scores on courses at different times without more holes being played after top scores from each pool are shuffled together. My suggestion would be to have a cut to a final 9, final 6 or final 4 (depending on daylight) for as many players as you can handle so at least the top players face each other for at least part of the event.

The giant Bowling Green Am event has used multiple pools to determine final payout positions for years without a shuffle where players in other pools played with their scoring peers. However, the top players at least faced each other for a Final 9 to determine the top spots.

davidsauls
Nov 12 2010, 10:22 AM
Keep in mind that if you don't want to go to separate pools, you could close registration for Rec & Int.....but anyone still wanting to play would be free to play Advanced. Maybe not their first choice, but after all they are late registering, and it beats not playing at all.

gvan
Nov 12 2010, 11:30 AM
Thanks everyone.

I had closed registration for Int and Rec before posting. I am going to leave it that way unfortunately.

Thanks for the ideas of a final 9. If I thought we'd have enough daylight, I'd do that, but I don't think we will.

Hopefully people will test the advanced waters =-)

bruce_brakel
Nov 14 2010, 10:14 AM
Thanks everyone.

I had closed registration for Int and Rec before posting. I am going to leave it that way unfortunately.

Thanks for the ideas of a final 9. If I thought we'd have enough daylight, I'd do that, but I don't think we will.

Hopefully people will test the advanced waters =-)I think you did the right thing. Changing the pool plan is always frustrating for the group who travelled together because they were in the same pool. You might want to look at your attendance and come up with a better plan for next time. Pro-Int // Adv-Rec might work better.

There was a time when, if you were going to have the same division in more than one pool, you were required to have a sort sometime before the last round, like they do at Worlds. Then they relaxed that rule for Bowling Green. If the rule exists at all, it is probably in the comp Manual or in the Sanctioning Agreement.

gvan
Nov 16 2010, 05:14 AM
Well, it all worked out somehow. I had exactly 72 in my Int/Rec/Jrs group and 65 in the Pro/Adv/Women/Really Jr Jrs group.

In hindsight, even with no ri=ules specifically against it, it would have been problematic.

Thanks for the clarifications/advice.