Shags17
Nov 05 2010, 01:40 AM
A conversation about mando and ob came up on our local forum after a recent tourney. The original question was where to take your lie since the person in question threw over an OB area (which ended before the mando) and on the wrong side of the mando. He played the call right, taking his next shot from the drop zone. But another arguement came up about what if the OB line had extended past the mando and the disc had landed OB, what would be the correct call/lie? Take an OB stroke and play where it was last in, or take a missed mando stroke and play from the DZ? Let me know your thoughts as this is a very confusing arguement.

Here's a link to the thread:

http://www.gardencityflyers.org/site/node/716

Kind of long, but reading the whole thing is needed. Thanks for any input

jconnell
Nov 05 2010, 09:38 AM
Mando takes precedence, period.

803.12 Mandatories E. A throw that misses a mandatory shall be penalized and the lie marked according to the mandatory rule (803.12). It will not be further penalized for any other reason, such as out-of-bounds or above two meters.
Also addressed in the Rules Q&A (http://www.pdga.com/faq/299#299n840)

Basically, if the shot missed the mandatory, then that's how you play it regardless of where the disc comes to rest.

denny1210
Nov 05 2010, 01:11 PM
definitely better than it used to be with the "unwind" rule. at 2000 am worlds i played with a guy that nicked the outside of a mando tree and got-redirected OB. he took his OB stroke and THEN threw about 175 backwards to get to a spot to get through the mando.

of course, in retrospect, he could have just thrown 3 from the tee. always sucks to not know the rules.

jconnell
Nov 05 2010, 01:17 PM
definitely better than it used to be with the "unwind" rule. at 2000 am worlds i played with a guy that nicked the outside of a mando tree and got-redirected OB. he took his OB stroke and THEN threw about 175 backwards to get to a spot to get through the mando.

of course, in retrospect, he could have just thrown 3 from the tee. always sucks to not know the rules.
By "just thrown 3 from the tee", do you mean because he was OB? Because if so, I don't think he had the option in 2000. It wasn't until the 2002 revision of the rule book that the option to re-throw from the previous lie (along with the drop zone option) was added to the OB rule.

So the guy probably did know the rules and followed them. Unfortunately the rules at the time gave him no options.

cgkdisc
Nov 05 2010, 02:26 PM
Josh is correct regarding the rules for previous lie not being added until 2002 rulebook. However, a drop zone, without using unwinding, could have been used if requested for that mando. I got them to use a drop zone on a mando at PW1999 in Rochester on hole 18 at Gennessee Valley which may have been the first time it was used in competition. But it took a while for the word to get out that this innovation could be used.