Giles
Oct 15 2010, 12:59 PM
Something that I have seen debated was left out of the Rules School is what to do when a disc goes OB (street or creek) prior to a mando and passes the mando while over OB and never comes back across the OB line (street or creek).

My interpretation was/is that once the disc goes OB before a mando if it never crosses IB again it doesn't matter that a mando may have been missed.

The example is a 400' hole with a mando that must be passed on the left 80' from the basket. The hole tees off near a road that is on the right side of the fairway. It is possible to throw a disc OB 30' off the tee and have it fly/skip/slide down the street well past the mando and finish still on the road.

The rules school section E reads like the mando trumps the OB and leaves the player (in my example) with an easy shot from the mando rather than rethrowing from 30' off the tee.

krupicka
Oct 15 2010, 01:42 PM
Yes the mando trumps the OB as the mando comes into account first as it based on flight path, while OB is based on the final resting location of the disc which occurs later.

cgkdisc
Oct 15 2010, 02:12 PM
Here's the Rules Q&A on this issue. http://www.pdga.com/faq/rules-questions-answers/missed-the-mandatory-went-ob I think example B is what you are asking about where the disc goes OB before crossing the missed mando line and stays both across that line and also remains OB. Play from the mando drop zone with a 1-shot penalty. The only time you play the OB rule in those Q&A examples is when your disc ends up OB and you haven't crossed the missed mando line (C) or you pass the good side of the mando line but end up OB when the shot stops (example not shown).

wsfaplau
Oct 15 2010, 03:01 PM
That works unless you can convince the TD or Marshall to ignore the black and white rule and just make something else up entirely so as to give the benefit of doubt to the player and cite the rule of fairness.

Just kidding but some of you will get the joke

cgkdisc
Oct 15 2010, 04:35 PM
If a wasp nest is discovered by the drop zone, the TD might reposition you 40 feet to the right after moving the branch that probably fell on that spot during the round... ;)

NOHalfFastPull
Oct 16 2010, 12:01 AM
If a wasp nest is discovered by the drop zone, the TD might reposition you 40 feet to the right after moving the branch that probably fell on that spot during the round... ;)

Only applies if TD is in the group behind you, otherwise, suck it up and throw.
If the wasp nest arrived after the round started, everyone gets stung. :p
Does the swelling cover up my grand master wrinkles?

krupicka
Oct 16 2010, 07:19 AM
I just don't want to be anywhere near you guys when you try to move that branch with the wasps' nest attached.

bruce_brakel
Oct 18 2010, 11:42 PM
Yes the mando trumps the OB as the mando comes into account first as it based on flight path, while OB is based on the final resting location of the disc which occurs later.The mando trumps OB because the rules says it does. Neither o.b. nor a missed mando can be determined until the disc has come to rest. Just read the rules.

So if a disc flies by the mando on the wrong side, hits a tree, and comes back to rest at a point not beyond the mando line, it is no different from a disc that flies o.b., hits a tree, and comes back in bounds. No penalty; play it where it lies.

wsfaplau
Oct 22 2010, 01:42 PM
So why don't the Rules in the Rules School match the rules in the Rule Book?

Why do they make stuff up like MLOP (Mando Line Of Play) that isn't in the rule book and therefore unenforceable?

cgkdisc
Oct 22 2010, 01:51 PM
Why do they make stuff up like MLOP (Mando Line Of Play) that isn't in the rule book and therefore unenforceable?
What's made up? Mando line of play is directly in the rulebook:
803.12 D. When marking the lie, if the line of play does not pass to the correct side of the mandatory, then the mandatory itself shall be considered the hole for the application of all rules regarding stance, markers, obstacles, and relief. For the purposes of taking a legal stance, the mandatory object which has not yet been passed, and is nearest the tee, will be considered to be the hole.

Martin_Bohn
Oct 22 2010, 01:55 PM
1) The mandatory line is the line marked by the director or course designer to indicate when a disc has passed or missed the mandatory.

(2) If no line is marked, the mandatory line is defined as a straight line through the mandatory, perpendicular to the line from the tee to the mandatory.

(3) In the case of a double mandatory when no line is marked, the mandatory line is the straight line connecting the two mandatories, and extends beyond them in both directions.

or is this what you are talking about?......

jconnell
Oct 22 2010, 02:08 PM

I'm assuming this is sarcasm and satire. Well done.

If it isn't, well, Chuck's got you covered. :D

wsfaplau
Oct 25 2010, 03:23 PM

I was wrong. Thanks for correcting me.

I could argue I was right since searching the online Rule Book PDF for "MLOP" and "Mando line of play" and "mandatory line of play" yields no results because they aren't in the rules and therefore are made up things not in the rule book which is exactly what I said in my post.

However, that isn't what I meant. Thanks for straightening me out.