stanherrman
Oct 08 2010, 02:41 PM
Been itching to go camping? Just need your Duncan fix? You're not alone, Sooner Disc Golf presents:

Duncan Doubles
October 23rd & 24th
Duncan Lake Permanent Course
Two rounds on Saturday and one round on Sunday
All 3 rounds will be "best shot" format
Player's meeting will be at 9:00am Saturday

The divisions will be:
Open
Advanced
Amateur
Mixed

Open division will be $100 per team and all am divisions will be $60 per team. The ace pot will be $5 per player. This is a non-sanctioned event.

This is an inaugural tournament that we hope to make a tradition of. This is also a great chance to get the course mowed down so that it will be available during the winter months. Come and play a part in a new tradition.

There are many routes to the Duncan Lake course. Here is the basic route from OKC: Take Hwy 81 to Duncan. On the North side of town, go East on Plato Road. The intersection of 81/Plato has a stoplight, It should be the second light coming into town from the North (from OKC). Take Plato Road for 9-miles East until reaching Duncan Lake Road. Go right (South) for about 1/2 mile then turn right again (back West) into the park. The campground is about another 1/2 mile down the park road.

Duncan with double the fun!!!

stanherrman
Oct 10 2010, 02:10 PM
A workday has been organized for next Sunday at 10:00 (week from today). We'll meet at the same spot this past March; the parking lot near #1 tee. We can announce which holes everone wants to work, then we'll scatter.

We're not planning to upstage Joe Rotan. We don't have plans for his cookout or organized doubles. Just work as much as you wish and organize play as needed.

The course will get scouted out this week and I'll find out if the "Concession" is open. I'll keep everybody updated.

Its Duncan ______ !!

stanherrman
Oct 14 2010, 01:01 PM
Went down to Duncan yesterday and the course was as thick as expected. I'm sure we'll fix that up this weekend. I got a head start yesterday on #5 and #6...

The concession/store looks to be closed for good. No problem, I'll just use the cast iron skillet a bit more than originally planned...

stanherrman
Oct 15 2010, 12:01 PM
Passing along some updates from Facebook:
The divisions will be: Open, Advanced, Amateur, and Mixed.

Open - $100 per team

Advanced - $80 per team.

Am - $60 per team

All Mixed - $60 per team

Optional Ace Pot - $5 PER player

Marie also told me that a Duncan resturant is planning to bring some BBQ out to sell on Saturday the 23rd. I'll get more details and pass them along next week...

stanherrman
Oct 18 2010, 05:47 PM
A big thanks to "Dig", Marty, BCB, James and Kate, Larry and Trina, as well as my wife Tina for their work on the Duncan Lake course. Most of the holes have been completely cleared out and are in great shape. A couple of holes only got quick treatment and 3 holes still need work (which will get done by early campers). It was a good feeling leaving Duncan yesterday knowing the course will be open for the next 5-6 months!!!

stanherrman
Oct 26 2010, 01:09 PM
This tournament faced many hurdles and Mother Nature raised the bar high. Saturday morning we had about 16 players from Norman, several from OKC, two from Wichita Falls, Gunner and Marty ready to play. However, the rain and lightning was heavy and the radar showed that it was not going to change. So, the tournament was cancelled on Saturday. 8 players ventured out in the rain to play doubles. Half of them returned to camp before finishing.

The rain finally stopped late in the afternoon and several more folks got a muddy round in. On Sunday, the course dried out and we had a mini. Gunner beat a group of 9-or-10 players "in open" with an even par round (IIRC). We had 3 play "am" along with Kate and 11 year old Gavin. Tina and I packed up after the mini and left. A few certainly headed back out and got some more golf in.

junky
Oct 26 2010, 03:57 PM
Maybe I'll get a chance to play in the 1st Duncan Doubles afterall.