Dana
Sep 25 2010, 01:28 PM
What are some successful dg courses on ball golf courses?

A local golf course is interested installing a dg course on their existing golf course. I'm looking to gather any information that I can on the subject.

Thanks!

stevenpwest
Sep 27 2010, 12:10 PM
Old English Golf Course
Saint Andrews Links Golf Course
White Mountain Rec Center
Riverside Golf Club
Indian Springs
Road Runner Dunes DGC
Lutz Executive DGC

Success varies, but those responsible for your golf course will want to talk to and learn from the unsuccessful cases, too.

listen2bob
Sep 28 2010, 10:50 PM
St. Andrews was great but has been pulled. Good course but the ball golfers were never very fond of us, Lutz is a fantastic course design for a small area (9 teepads, 18 baskets) well placed on the top of mounds on nearly every hole. Pine Oaks is another good piece of property although the ball golf is no longer there.

davidsauls
Sep 29 2010, 02:02 PM
Tupelo Bay in Myrtle Beach, SC has been there 6 years, if that's any measure of success. I haven't played it, but I believe it is the only course in the area, or at least was until fairly recently, adding to it's attraction.

There's been a 9-holer in at Lake Murray Golf Center in Chapin, SC for about as long. It's biggest limitation is that there are very good, free courses nearby. But they've kept it, as well.

bruce_brakel
Sep 30 2010, 01:35 AM
It is the future of disc golf. Too bad I'm already old in the present.

flyboy
Oct 08 2010, 01:09 PM
It is the future of our sport.After 10 years installing 20 golf courses, in 7 states and 360 baskets on golf courses, I do have more info, on the facts, and profitability, of disc golf ,on golf courses.I did take last year off from building ,this year I will do 2 more before winter.I would be happy to help out or if you need equiptment tees and baskets if the course can do a said # of rounds per month.USDGC has done an awsome job of dressing up a park ,for 2 weeks, for our top pros.But it is still not a proffesional venue, for major sponsorship, and we are still playing for each otheres money .All the sponsers will wave a banner to us ,for a few days, and after that they are rolled up till next year.Our sport has made some great leaps in the last 2 years with the coverage of DG.A golf course offers all the basics, and then some like,a pro shop with an employee , rental discs, ones to buy,score card,pencil,info on disc golf, his and hers bathrooms in 2 locations ,and the always enjoyed golf cart,a cold beverage, a coctail and a hamburger ,with your choice of cheese ,by the way you can also play with your dad mono mono and 1 more perk you are insured if you are injured on the courseMost all golf courses ,have more amemities, than any disc golf course. Us being on golf courses helps out all of us by suppling extra rounds on a course that is sagging and us getting a place to play where there are no parks avb. This is a win win .....If you or any other dger has a course that you think will work out for our sport ,I am willing to help, in any way I can.I have not posted in a while ,sorry for the rant.

Fly 18 building a professional venue for all.
Enjoy the experience..........

CGPRush
Nov 02 2010, 11:22 PM
Tupelo Bay in Myrtle Beach, SC has been there 6 years, if that's any measure of success. I haven't played it, but I believe it is the only course in the area, or at least was until fairly recently, adding to it's attraction.

There's been a 9-holer in at Lake Murray Golf Center in Chapin, SC for about as long. It's biggest limitation is that there are very good, free courses nearby. But they've kept it, as well.

There's also Crestwood in Denmark, SC.

tanner
Nov 03 2010, 02:35 PM
We usually have 1 or 2 tournaments this time of year on temp courses on BG courses. Lots of fun, and the course directors love that we rent all their carts for the day.

But it's always been temporary. Just doesn't seem like a good fit for most BG courses.

davidsauls
Dec 03 2010, 03:58 PM
There's also Crestwood in Denmark, SC.

...and now a 4th, River Chase in Union, SC. Opened 11-28-10.

Saucer Tosser
Dec 08 2010, 11:14 AM
Albany NY centered Discap (discap.net) is actively pursuing local golf courses to add permanent disc golf courses. Not all ball golf courses will make interesting disc golf courses. I don't really see DG being played straight down the BG fairways, a lot more interesting if trees are involved. So at first I am looking for somewhere there is extra land on a BG course that could be a DG course. Not having BG & DG players on the same layout should make for an easier sell.

I figure the BG course can maintain the DG course with just a little more expense.

Our first step should be to have a tournament to sow the BG course owners the potential of DG.

Probably would need new rules about etiquette if DG & BG are played on the same layout.

Saucer Tosser
Dec 08 2010, 11:17 AM
We are also seeking ski hills to add disc golf courses.... for them the pitch is year round income from disc sales, and concessions.

flyboy
Dec 08 2010, 01:14 PM
After 21 courses on golf courses and 378 baskets on them I could help with the #s.Fly 18 has a working business plan that works everywhere on any course.Give me a call if you need some help fly 18 reese 714-235-0100

thanks

davidsauls
Dec 09 2010, 12:42 PM
Do you have a list of active Fly18 courses? The link on your website wasn't working properly.

Flyboy & Saucer Tosser are presenting two different ways to put disc golf on a ball golf course. The Fly 18 strategy is sharing the same fairways, so that a disc golfer and ball golfer can play together---or at least that disc golfers and ball golfers are playing roughly the same layout. Saucer Tosser is talking about disc golf as a supplement on a ball golf course, using parts of the property ball golfers are not using.

Which is not to take sides, just to point out that there is more than one way to approach ball golf courses.

tafe
Dec 09 2010, 04:21 PM
I've played a few courses on ball golf courses and found that when putting on a green that is away from the bg greeen, it's a good idea to leave you cart parked in front of the bg green. That way you avoid having balls hit into you, since bg'rs aren't looking for you on the dg green.

Is the Quarry course still there down in Brooksville, FL? That was definitely one of my favorite setups on a bg course.