JerryChesterson
Aug 23 2010, 04:44 PM
I used to think the whole courtesy warning for a foot fault was the most mis-understood rules situation (the fact that if a player gets called for a falling putt and misses (or makes) they get to re-throw the putt without a penalty stroke).

I now think the most mis-understood rules situation is a disc at lie moving. 100% of people I talked to at a recent tourney didn't know if you throw OB, your disc comes to rest (say on a road), a car runs over the disc and it rolls back in bounds, you disc is still OB and you must replace to its original lie.

cgkdisc
Aug 23 2010, 04:55 PM
Everyone likes to believe in luck, if it's in their favor...

pterodactyl
Aug 23 2010, 05:28 PM
Players that don't understand the rules probably haven't read them.

james_mccaine
Aug 23 2010, 05:40 PM
I used to think the whole courtesy warning for a foot fault was the most mis-understood rules situation (the fact that if a player gets called for a falling putt and misses (or makes) they get to re-throw the putt without a penalty stroke).

I now think the most mis-understood rules situation is a disc at lie moving. 100% of people I talked to at a recent tourney didn't know if you throw OB, your disc comes to rest (say on a road), a car runs over the disc and it rolls back in bounds, you disc is still OB and you must replace to its original lie.

Scott,

I don't understand your first example. Very confusing. Seriously.

As to your second, it's confusing also. I can't make sense of it. If "original lie" means lie before the shot, your statement is not correct. If "original lie" means where it went OB, one does not "have to" play it from there. One could go back to the lie at the pre-OB-throw and play it from there.

davidsauls
Aug 23 2010, 05:51 PM
Perhaps Unplayable Lie.

That the thrower who gets a really bad kick/roll/result can declare it unplayable---even if it clearly could be played---and rethrow (with penalty stroke).

RhynoBoy
Aug 23 2010, 06:54 PM
I'll admit I don't understand what people mean when they talk about "Verticality." It sounds like a made up word.

Does it have to do with multiple playing surfaces? I think I hear it referenced when people throw in culverts, then want to play from on top for no penalty. If you can fit in there, that's where I think it should be played from, unless you want to call it unplayable.

JerryChesterson
Aug 23 2010, 07:41 PM
Scott,

I don't understand your first example. Very confusing. Seriously.

As to your second, it's confusing also. I can't make sense of it. If "original lie" means lie before the shot, your statement is not correct. If "original lie" means where it went OB, one does not "have to" play it from there. One could go back to the lie at the pre-OB-throw and play it from there.

First example ...

The Legends attempts a 25 foot putt for a birdie 2. He foot faults. Jerry calls the foot fault & Scott seconds the foot fault. The putt misses. The Legends gets a stance violation warning and then must re-throw from his original lie, where he missed the first putt without a penalty stroke. The Legends makes the second attempt at the 25 foot putt and records a birdie 2 on the hole.

Second example

The Legend drives out of bounds onto a road. His disc has comes to rest and is on the road, clearly OB to everyone in the group. A passing car runs over the disc, and it rolls back in bounds. The disc must be placed back at its orignal lie (out of bounds) and played accordingly. There are multiple ways to play an out of bounds shot which aren't applicable to the rest of analogy.

Another second example

The Legend aces a hole and the disc is at rest and support by the lower entrapment section of the basket. Scott aces the hole and knocks The Legend's disc out of the basket. The Legend's disc must be placed back in its original lie (in the basket). Once removed the score is a 1 or an Ace.

JerryChesterson
Aug 23 2010, 07:43 PM
Players that don't understand the rules probably haven't read them.

Right because everyone who's ever read the rules has a 100% percent understanding of them and the rules in no way are ambiguous or open to interpretation.

jconnell
Aug 23 2010, 08:10 PM
First example ...

The Legends attempts a 25 foot putt for a birdie 2. He foot faults. Jerry calls the foot fault & Scott seconds the foot fault. The putt misses. The Legends gets a courtesy warning and then must re-throw from his original lie, where he missed the first putt without a penalty stroke. The Legends makes the second attempt at the 25 foot putt and records a birdie 2 on the hole.

I think the confusion on this first example is your inclusion of the word "courtesy". I read "courtesy warning" as a warning for a courtesy violation, which I'm sure is not your intention in this example. The warning involved in a stance violation is simply a warning, nothing to do with courtesy. The confusion is solely a semantic one here.

james_mccaine
Aug 24 2010, 12:19 AM
Josh explained my confusion, but I'd argue it is more than semantics. Courtesy and stance violations are separate. One courtesy plus one stance isn't a one throw penalty, and vice versa.