MTL21676
Aug 18 2010, 12:01 AM
At the USDGC and larger events, you see flags now. It seems to be this is a trendy thing as we have all see that what USDGC does, it seems everyone is obligated to do as well.

Well, the more and more I think about it, I am mainly opposed to flags on top of a basket.

I would like to now point out why I have this opinion in my typical long and drawn out response.

First off, as an avid and former amateur competitive ball golfer, the point of a flag is simply to show the golfer where on the putting surface the hole is located. Nothing more nothing less. Does it on occasion help or hurt a golfer? Of course. I've hit the flag stick stopping shots that would go 40 feet long and are now tap ins and I've hit flags that knocked it 15 feet away when it would have landed next to the cup. Heck, the flag stick pretty much is the reason David Toms won the 2001 PGA Championship over Phil Mickelson has in round three he recorded a hole in one due to one and more than likely would have taken a 3 on the hole without the flag stick being there - he won by 1 stoke.

The simple act of pulling the flag stick out of the cup being mandated when on the green pretty much proves the point of it - it's not to assist the golfer on bad shots and it's certainly not meant to punish a golfer who get's the bad break off the stick. It's simply there to show us where the hole is. Now there are other things the flag does. It helps read the wind in the distance and more recently, have devices on the flags that assist with GPS finders. And on most courses, you will see different colored flags to show if the pin location is on the front middle or back third of the green.

So with all this in mind, why is this exact same thing used in disc golf?

We certainly don't need the flag to help show where the hole is located as the target is not only can easily be seen, it can be color coated in coordination with the pin location (most courses with two sets of permanent baskets have different colors or models to show the difference in each course - I See this as basically the same thing the different color flags accomplish in ball golf).

I can see the argument for help reading the wind, but I feel wind is much more of an important factor in our game and is much more of a skill for us to read the wind. Also, we are dealing in feet as opposed to yards, so the target with the wind is no where near as far as the flag in golf.

And beyond all this, how many times have you seen a disc hit the flag? I see a tee shot or approach hitting the flag not a big deal - it's basically the same effect as a ball hitting the flag stick or a disc hitting the pole or the basket or any other part of the target that is needed to have the target there in the first place that doesn't assist in the holing out process. But I would say while it's obviously much easier to hit a flag with a disc than with a ball due to just simply the diameter of the objects, they probably occur at about the same rate due to the flag being much smaller than in ball golf and so many other things for the disc to hit that ball golfers would not have on a green.

Also, there are some pins (and the only one I can think of is number 14 in Kinston, NC) where the pin is located in a ditch or behind a large drop off and the flag assists the golfers in locating the pin. But we are talking in the roughly 110 courses I've played, this is the only basket I can't see due to lower elevation. Plenty of times you can't see it due to trees, bushes, doglegs, etc, but as far as vertical challenges, it is obviously well well below ball golf as it is required for all ball golf holes and slim to none disc golf holes.

However what get's me comes on the putting area. Disc golf has no rule that requires these flags be removed when putting. If you are ever at USDGC where you have not only raised baskets but also wind, stop and watch one windy green for about 30 min to an hour and I almost bet you will see one person sail a putt over the basket due to error, wind or both that hit the flag and come to rest.

I really don't think we should have them anyway simply b/c as I've said, the targets are big enough, there really is rarely a visual issue and finally wind reading is more important in disc golf, therefore should be more left to the player rather than a device to aid that. But I'm ok with it before you get to the putting area.

Isn't putting easy enough? Aren't there TONS of areas you can hit on a basket that stop your putt without it going in? If we borrowing the idea and concept from ball golf here, shouldn't it be made to be removed from the basket once you are in putting range because it is no longer necessary?

I have never really heard a discussion about this and watching the Vibram this weekend made it pop in my mind. What are your thoughts?

gippy
Aug 18 2010, 09:18 AM
I like them. Sometimes baskets blend into the back ground. Baskets down a hill. A course I've played has 3 Flags on them red white and blue they are about 2-3" wide and diff. numbers 5,10,15 for MPH wind is blowing top one is white @5 middle is Red @10 bottom is Blue @15. It lets you know what the wind is doing at the basket. As we all know it can be alot different 300' away then it is on the Teepad

cgkdisc
Aug 18 2010, 10:22 AM
I just added the results from the Member Survey on targets to the Tech Standards area: http://www.pdga.com/pdga-documents/technical-standards/targets-member-survey
There was general support for allowing flags on top of targets. It would seem more appropriate if all targets had flags so it was consistent on every course in the same way that flags are on every ball golf hole.

rizbee
Aug 18 2010, 01:21 PM
Can anyone tell me where I can get custom flags made? We have a charity tournament coming up and we'd like to sell naming rights on the flags to raise money for the charity.

veganray
Aug 18 2010, 01:34 PM
I think the pole holding up the basket makes putting too easy. PDGA should mandate maglev technology on targets to raise baskets to the appropriate height above the ground.

warlocks00
Aug 18 2010, 01:41 PM
Can anyone tell me where I can get custom flags made? We have a charity tournament coming up and we'd like to sell naming rights on the flags to raise money for the charity.

Cortese Flag & Silkscreen in San Angelo, Texas. I do a lot of custom flags for businesses, ranches, individuals, and ball golf tourney flags.

wsfaplau
Aug 18 2010, 03:10 PM
Playing frequently in the mountains and forests of CO I find the flags very helpful as visual aids to locate the baskets, especially when elevation changes are present.

I acknowledge the flags can/do stop errant shots that wouldn't be stopped without them.

IMO the good of the visual aid overcomes the bad of some shots affected.

exczar
Aug 19 2010, 02:15 PM
Don't number plates have the same general effect of stopping a disc? Should tech std change to get rid of it?

Flags also help to reinforce to the non-DGers that this sport is a type of golf, and that the targets are not some kind of new BBQ grill.

Your point is well taken, but we have much, MUCH bigger fish to fry before we get to this minnow.

LastBoyScout
Aug 20 2010, 05:46 PM
If the basket has a flag, that is just another part of the course, just like a park bench, picnic table, water fountain, etc.

i could understand if someone had a super long flag that hung down in front of the basket blocking the target partially, but since its located out of the way for anyone to successfully complete a putt, what's the big deal?

Sounds like ultimately it just comes down to personal preference.

gippy
Aug 21 2010, 10:38 AM
Don't number plates have the same general effect of stopping a disc? Should tech std change to get rid of it?

Flags also help to reinforce to the non-DGers that this sport is a type of golf, and that the targets are not some kind of new BBQ grill.

Your point is well taken, but we have much, MUCH bigger fish to fry before we get to this minnow.

I was in Kentuckey when I came up to a hole and Saw a guy standing near the basket and there was smoke coming up near him. We get down to it and he has turned it into a grill. He lined the basket with tin foil and has wood buring in it with a few pieces of chicken and a steak haning in the Chains Prob. the funniest thing i've seen on a course

ishkatbible
Aug 21 2010, 11:51 PM
I was in Kentuckey when I came up to a hole and Saw a guy standing near the basket and there was smoke coming up near him. We get down to it and he has turned it into a grill. He lined the basket with tin foil and has wood buring in it with a few pieces of chicken and a steak haning in the Chains Prob. the funniest thing i've seen on a course

i've seen it!!! there's even a tournament stamp with a guy on it grilling in a basket. They got the idea somewhere

DemAmazins
Sep 06 2010, 09:50 AM

did you know a picture is worth a thousand words!

LastBoyScout
Sep 07 2010, 03:24 PM

No, i did not. However, i do know that DISC GOLF BASKETS ARE NOT GRILLS!

If you have not seen this occur locally (i have at 2 separate courses), then you are either in an enlightened area where disc golf is understood, or you are not playing enough disc golf.;)

gippy
Sep 07 2010, 05:05 PM

What ya trying to say? I did not have a camera with me