windsurf17
Aug 01 2010, 01:51 PM
I know that the rulebook says one supporting point must be touching the teepad while teeing, with the exception of a TD for safety. But, in this video, admittedly probably not a PDGA-sanctioned event, most of the tee-shots the players aren't on the pad at all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5ioGahL8SU

Given the quality of players (Feldberg, Jenkins, Climo, Arthur), it seems strange; and also, the teepads look good (except one looked wet).

Is this just them getting an advantage (maybe setting up for an easier shot around an obstacle)? Anyone know if they were playing safari?

Great video BTW, fun to watch.

- Hans

atlscott
Aug 01 2010, 06:09 PM
It looked to me like all the teepads were pretty wet (and could be more slippery than usual as they are some sort of brick it appears). And being a friendly skins game I'm sure they all agreed before hand to play from either side of the tee if not comfortable on the tee.

veganray
Aug 01 2010, 08:58 PM
I hope you also know that no supporting points may be in contact with anything outside the teeing area. 803.02:
A. Play shall begin on each hole with the player throwing from within the teeing area. When the disc is released, at least one of the player's supporting points must be in contact with the surface of the teeing area, and all the player's supporting points must be within the teeing area. If a tee pad is provided, all supporting points must be on the pad at the time of release, unless the director has specified a modified teeing area for safety reasons. If no tee pad is provided, all supporting points at the time of release must be within an area encompassed by the front line of the teeing area and two lines perpendicular to and extending back three meters from each end of the front line. The front line of the teeing area includes the outside edges of the two tee markers. Running up from behind the teeing area before the disc is released is permitted. Following through in front of the teeing area is permitted provided there is no supporting point contact outside the teeing area when the disc is released.

B. Any supporting point contact outside the teeing area at the time of release constitutes a stance violation and shall be handled in accordance with sections 803.04 F, G and H.

cgkdisc
Aug 02 2010, 10:50 AM
TDs have the option to allow players to play on either side of the tee pad when conditions might make this appropriate. But without dispensation from the TD, it's not allowed.

bruce_brakel
Aug 02 2010, 12:28 PM
This came up at a tournament I played recently. We could see from the twist marks in the suface next to the tee that other players were playing to the side because the tee was basically under water. We decided that playing to the side would be a stance violation that would have to be called within 20 seconds, and the first one is a warning with a rethrow. We also knew that if the TD had been aware of the condition, he would have allowed a wider tee.

I did not call it on anyone who threw before me. They reciprocated.

veganray
Aug 02 2010, 12:57 PM
Tough luck for those stalwart individuals who actually attempted to follow the rules of the game (or those not-so-stalwart ones who didn't, but lacked the luck to have 3 lawless co-conspirators on their card). Way to stick it to 'em, BB. :(

MTL21676
Aug 02 2010, 09:53 PM
First off, this just looks like a casual skins game. They can do pretty much whatever they want. I've seen skins game AFTER PDGA events that didn't go towards PDGA winning only allow players to use two discs.

Secondly, just b/c a concrete tee is there, doesn't always mean that is the only teeing area.

bravo
Aug 02 2010, 10:26 PM
there is no doubt in my mind that a teeing area that is 8 ft wide at the front can definately open up a different shot selection.
that being said ive never had the pleasure of such.
the pads that ive helped build are 5 ft wide and posistioned specifically for their location by design.
the teeing area is defined by the boarders of the tee box.
the rule say one supporting point on the surface.
i dont understand why somone would play from dirt when concrete is available.
unless the finish is unsafe while wet.

bruce_brakel
Aug 02 2010, 11:39 PM
Tough luck for those stalwart individuals who actually attempted to follow the rules of the game (or those not-so-stalwart ones who didn't, but lacked the luck to have 3 lawless co-conspirators on their card). Way to stick it to 'em, BB. :(

Go call some flying putts and get back to me.:p

twoputtok
Aug 03 2010, 12:07 PM
there is no doubt in my mind that a teeing area that is 8 ft wide at the front can definately open up a different shot selection.
that being said ive never had the pleasure of such.

Not true Brad, Centennial's pads are 8ft in the front and 12ft long.

bravo
Aug 03 2010, 11:17 PM
Not true Brad, Centennial's pads are 8ft in the front and 12ft long.

and dangerously slick when wet,
because disc golfers didnt pour them!!!!

twoputtok
Aug 04 2010, 09:04 AM
Don't play them in the rain

bravo
Aug 04 2010, 09:43 AM
where is the fun in that?