MTL21676
Jul 18 2010, 08:58 PM
Today at the event I ran, David Wiggins, Jr., the reigning national and world am champ took cash for the first time offically becoming a professional.

Without a doubt, as a TD, this was the thrill of my career knowing that I have the honor of being the TD that gave him his first cash. It gave me chills.

And yeah, part of it is that I think he's going to be a legend in this game, but it's just that he's such a great young man.

And the coolest part of him going pro.....

Half of all his winnings go to his college fund. What an incredible person.

Here are the offical results for those who want to see.

http://www.pdga.com/tournament-results?TournID=10476

I still have chills thinking about having that honor.......

cgkdisc
Jul 18 2010, 09:28 PM
That's great. I saw 17-year old, Ricky Wysocki accept cash for the first time last week at the Hambrick. A couple of young pros on the upswing.

cwphish
Jul 18 2010, 10:38 PM
Congratulations Wiggy!

Out of curiosity, I am wondering how much money he has turned down over the years. I remember JJ turning down cash for quite some time, but it seams like Wiggy turned it down for a long time.

Again, great job and good luck in the future Wiggles. Doc, you and your better half did real good!

twig
Jul 19 2010, 03:09 AM
Somewhere north of $3000, probably. Depends on when the ams-taking-merch rule came back.

Also, he probably would have played more pro tourneys (like pro worlds last year) where cashing would have been likely. Then again, maybe not, that's certainly a what-if.

Of note is the fact that his first Open event (OHO 2004) saw 4 people decline (JJ, who won, as well as MTL, Ant Roe, and Caleb Wood). Small world and all that. And JJ only had about a year or so of declining cash, but that did include declining at USDGC.

And let's face it, he's been a pro for some time now. I don't say this to start some kind of flame war, I mean it as the utmost compliment (to him AND to his parents). It's not just about having skills and making money. He certainly possesses the former, and has the potential for the latter (at least as much as one can playing disc golf), but to me it has a lot more to do with carrying yourself with composure, dignity, and integrity; and respecting yourself, your competitors, and the game itself. He's not perfect, nobody is, but he's trying to do things the right way, and for that, I respect him. And I'm pulling for him.

Now, if I could just borrow some of his distance...just 50 feet is all, I'm not greedy... :D

seewhere
Jul 19 2010, 11:44 AM
Congrats to Lil Wiggy

Trey133
Jul 20 2010, 06:01 PM
I was so excited to be there watching him accept his first cash, it was definitely a bittersweet moment. I won't be able to play a tournament with him now until I get MUCH better haha.

Regarding Twig's post

In my opinion he has been a professional for a long time in the way he represents his sponsors, in the way he treats other players, and in the way he interacts with fans. He is without a doubt one of Innova's best professionals. He doesn't cuss, doesn't drink, doesn't smoke, throws really far, interacts with those younger and older than him very well, doesn't flagrantly show emotion during competition. He is what disc golf needs in a TV persona.

I see him going very far in this sport.

CB2
Jul 21 2010, 01:33 AM
Congrats to David on winning Am Worlds and Officially turning pro.

::Regarding to Trey just posting::

Why didn't I see your name in the "pro" Catergory?

twoputtok
Jul 21 2010, 09:38 AM
We could ask you the same thing Bubba.

CB2
Jul 21 2010, 09:55 AM
We could ask you the same thing Bubba.

You know I was going to move up after worlds but after playing like a chump the first 4 rounds and only able to get 7th I decided to play both Advanced and Pro and just accept Merch IF I cash in open.

Me and Kody Custard decided to do the same thing.

quickdisc
Jul 22 2010, 03:30 PM
You know I was going to move up after worlds but after playing like a chump the first 4 rounds and only able to get 7th I decided to play both Advanced and Pro and just accept Merch IF I cash in open.

Me and Kody Custard decided to do the same thing.

Kody Custard ? Who's that ?

ChrisWoj
Jul 22 2010, 10:35 PM
Kody Custard ? Who's that ?
A very talented golfer from the same area as Bubba. And Bubba - you and Kody are both ready to play Open, in my opinion.