evan_lost
Jul 09 2010, 10:52 AM
Greetings fellow disc golfers! My name is Evan Taylor, a �So-Cal� native who is seeking the position of State Coordinator of (Southern) California. Thank you for taking the time to get to know me a little better. In so doing, I am confident that you will feel confident in casting your ballot in my favor as we all grow together in the Professional Disc Golf Association.

Currently, I work as a Technician with a major computer company. This role requires effective communication with a range of professional clients, including both technical and non-technical clientele alike. This communication encompasses desktop and server development, product implementation, and protocol oversight in a professional, efficient and effective manner. In addition to this role, I am currently completing my studies at the California State University, Fullerton. My academic focus is in Cultural Studies and Anthropological History, with an interest in leisure and sport. In pursuing this degree, I have become versed and skilled in archival information gathering, deductive and inductive organization skills, critical skills in problem solving, professional presentations, and organizational development. My skills off of the field inform my ability to �collect information, either personally or by delegating to individuals or clubs, for the PDGA Course Directory and the Course Evaluation system� as well as provide critical feedback on the annual Tour Standards directly to the PDGA Tour Manager in a productive and meaningful manner.

While there are a number of core reasons why I seek the position of State Coordinator of (Southern) California, my focus boils down to general disc golf promotion. My focus on promoting the sport is rooted in youth culture as well as in the ever-growing and developing social networking era. As young generations come to, they are in search of a cultural connection and what better avenue than disc golf�the very sport that we have each connected to for various reasons. By tapping into this youthful population further, we guarantee a wellspring of dedicated and interested athletes that can grow with the PDGA. In addition, I find that etiquette is an especially important aspect of disc golf�an art that often times gets lost or overlooked as a minor issue. In working with you, we are able to shape and form future generations of disc golfers to maintain the integrity of our sport, especially when looking to the PDGA as an exemplary model from which to begin that dialogue. As stated in the posted expectations for this role, I seek to �represent the PDGA in a positive light to members, clubs, agencies, and communities� throughout California. I think that beyond this, we have an expectation to set this tone for all states. With bodies always moving throughout states, when we instill PDGA-inspired etiquette in our younger players, we guarantee an exemplary staple that will forever represent California whether one remains here, or move elsewhere.

Beyond youth, yet connected to youth at the same time, is a revitalized reliance on new technologies for promoting our sport. This new technology includes tapping into existing social networking sites as well as developing online forums that will integrate the general population into our developing and growing association. This platform, thus far, has a focus that clearly looks forward with youth and developing technologies. When we look to the present, we see the next portion of my platform: further involvement and expansion.

By involvement I mean increasing current disc golf participation as well as making our tournaments far more accessible so that our friends and family are more inclined to join us thus bringing the sidelines and audiences to life. I believe that this can and will further promote our sport beyond those currently invested directly in the association. Beyond this is expansion, which is directly linked to the role that I am running for.

I seek to bring more tournaments to Southern California Disc Golf Association�s series, by ensuring that I am actively involved in this decision making process.

Back in 2001, I began playing disc golf with a group of close friends. In our time together, and as we learned the sport, we became locals at Morley Field�s monthly tournaments. In 2007, I joined the Southern California Disc Golf Association, and in 2008, I played my first full season in its series. Since my joining the PDGA in 2003, I have participated in tournaments throughout the whole of California�Southern, Central, and Northern. I further partook in tournaments in both Nevada and Michigan. In 2008, I volunteered setting up, hosting players, and spotting the Golden State Classic NT. I know a diversity of players in California, which I believe will be a great attribute in scheduling events, and promoting disc golf in every region. This is an especially effective point for this role.

Furthermore, through my active involvement with the San Diego Aces Disc Golf Club, La Mirada Disc Golf Club, and Southern California Disc Golf Association, I have become quite familiar with both the Southern and the south end of Central California�s tournaments procedural expectations for running, coordinating, and volunteering at SoCal tournaments, which reflects the expectations set forth by the PDGA.

I have yet to be a tournament director, but I feel my background thus far (both on and off of the field) will encourage the incorporation of new trends that others sports have enjoyed and employed in their own growth. Indeed, new technologies and a focus on youth cultures has helped grow many other sports, and I feel it time for disc golf to step up to the Tee and to drive it to the basket!

In closing, I am prepared to assume the position of State Coordinator of (Southern) California and to bare the responsibilities and expectations set forth by the PDGA, and it�s voting members�you. After all, just like you, I have a personal stake in the success of disc golf in this region. Our Region.

[Voting Period Ends July 31st, so please support me by writing me in to your ballots!]
You can find me online here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/ET-for-California-South-PDGA-State-Coordinator/131171670254566

discette
Jul 09 2010, 12:30 PM
I think Evan will do a fine job as the State Coordinator for Southern California. Unfortunately, Evan missed the PDGA deadline to become an official candidate so it is very important to write in Evan's name on your ballots.

quickdisc
Jul 14 2010, 10:26 PM
I think Evan will do a fine job as the State Coordinator for Southern California. Unfortunately, Evan missed the PDGA deadline to become an official candidate so it is very important to write in Evan's name on your ballots.

Dohhhh !!! :(

quickdisc
Jul 14 2010, 10:27 PM

Dohhhh !!! :( I'm sure folks missed that one !

evan_lost
Jul 20 2010, 08:52 PM
Write me in! You can do it!

Thanks for everyone's support. much love!