wsfaplau
Jun 29 2010, 02:18 PM
I recently played an A tier. 21 holes per course, 2 courses. TD had listed par as 3 for each hole although there was a legitimate par 4 and 5 on one of the courses.

I heard several people complain that not having a correct par would negatively impact their rating. I also saw in the Minn Majestic the leaders were something like -17 in round one. Does having too high a par impact ratings?

Fact or fiction ; What the TD determines as par can impact ratings.

I read the ratings FAQ but didn't get an answer.

Thx

veganray
Jun 29 2010, 02:25 PM
Only in a direct way if a propagator is late to start & is assessed 'par+4' scores for each missed hole.

In an indirect way in that weak-minded propagators' styles of play may be influenced by attempting to go for "pars" or "birdies" on holes with poorly-defined "par", effecting their scores in one way or the other from what they would be if the holes' "par" was more appropriately defined.

Otherwise, the two are independent.

cgkdisc
Jun 29 2010, 03:30 PM
I heard several people complain that not having a correct par would negatively impact their rating. I also saw in the Minn Majestic the leaders were something like -17 in round one. Does having too high a par impact ratings?
The par set for the course has no impact on ratings. Note: The Majestic layout was 27 holes.

wsfaplau
Jun 29 2010, 03:44 PM
thx

veganray
Jun 29 2010, 03:48 PM
The par set for the course has no impact on ratings.

So you deny the validity of my two counter-examples to this decree? Or just choose to ignore them?

krupicka
Jun 29 2010, 04:00 PM
It would probably be better stated that par does not have a direct impact on ratings. It may have an impact on individual scores (via late penalty or mind games) which could then impact ratings.