discette
Jun 25 2010, 12:44 PM
Sorry to bring bad news, but it looks like the Sunrise Showdown will not be happening this year.

Please take the time to answer the poll.

csrenda79
Jun 25 2010, 04:34 PM
Here is my opinion...

This event has been awesome for years. It would be a crying shame if there were no more Sunrise Showdowns. I think that most players, myself included, would be more then understanding about the situation and have no issues with either a slightly higher entry fee, a slightly lower payout, or if the date had to change. It's not like other tournaments haven't had to take similar measures for survival, which is fine. We all appreciate the hard work you have to do to make this happen and we will deal with whatever the situation is. Use this year's EIEIO as an example. It wasn't ideal conditions, but once word got out it still filled in a hurry.

Don't worry about the complainers. This event always sells out early, so i'm sure there will be players to cover the whiners. Most of the people who complain about these things to TD's are generally considered to be rude and unappreciative, as the TD has worked very hard over a period of weeks to provide a good time to the players, only to be slammed by complaints by the very people you were aiming to please. I learned very quickly in my tournament running experience that this is a very low percentage of players and you have to be able to discern right away whether it's someone who has a legit complaint or someone who is just whining cause an ob or penalty rule screwed them over. Most of the time it's the latter, and you have to just let that go in one ear and out the other, or it will distract you from your job and keep you from having fun.

In other words Suzette this is my opinion. If you were to make the event happen under less then admirable conditions we would understand and be happy just to play, like EIEIO this year. Plus, you will have me there, and although I plan to play I will do whatever possible to make sure it runs smoother for you. Hopefully enough of the players agree and we'll be able to keep this thing going...

rhett
Jun 27 2010, 01:20 PM
Suzette, thanks for all the hard work you've done running this event in the past.

In my opinion, if a course doesn't have local support for a tourney, then no tourney there is the logical result.

Thanks again for all the times you made this one happen. This tourney will be missed, but I feel you've done more than your fair share for it.

JonnyHyzer
Jun 28 2010, 04:01 PM
Increase the fee and reduce the payout - let's keep this tourney going if we can. I just went up there this Saturday, and I have to say the new management is doing a great job from what I can see. The guy running it and his daughter go out and broom the tee pads everyday and pick-up trash. They have also "mowed" the fariways and removed a lot of those prickly bushes. They seem pretty enthusiastic about running the course and the new club-house on top is much nicer. I really enjoyed the course and how well it was groomed.

This Tourney is one of my favorites! The weather/scenery is awesome up there during this time of year; I don't think people will mind the slight move in dates. If you need help moving baskets, the Palm Desert crew would be happy to help with that, and anything else you could use us for. Please try and keep this tourney happening.

Thanks for all your effort in the past with this event Suzzette!

discette
Jun 28 2010, 04:16 PM
Still working out details. If the event will happen, I will know within the next few days.

csrenda79
Jun 28 2010, 05:23 PM
Thank you Suzette, for doing what you can to make this happen. I'll be glad to help if there's anything I can do.

grizzly09
Jun 29 2010, 04:37 PM
I love this event and have played it for the past 3 years. Definitely one of my favorites and I always look forward to it.

I would hate to see it go away and I love what you have done for it in the past, Suzette. Whatever it takes, let's keep this event alive!!

rhett
Jun 30 2010, 04:14 PM
I would hate to see it go away and I love what you have done for it in the past, Suzette. Whatever it takes, let's keep this event alive!!

I sense the grumblings of someone approacing burn-out from Suzette, and who could blame her since she's been carrying the torch of SoCal Disc Golf since the end 2004.

It's time for the next batch of great volunteers to step up and start helping out so that she doesn't have to actually burn completely. The weird thing about disc golf is that this doesn't usually happen until the last batch of volunteers is toast, so let's see some people break the historic trend and step up now while there might still be time. :)

stringfinger
Jul 05 2010, 04:47 PM
this is the worst news Ive heard all year, what can be done to make it happen, Ive talked to matt affleck who runs the course and he planned on going through with all the tom bant scheduled tournies is it the TD issue ( I mean is there the lack of one or what is the deal exactly) I would like to help make this happen.

dmpdisc
Jul 10 2010, 08:20 PM
status update?

grizzly09
Jul 13 2010, 01:23 AM
I heard that the event was on.

davei
Jul 13 2010, 08:21 AM
I heard that the event was on.

The event is on. The course has changed management and is now called Sky High disc golf.

grizzly09
Jul 13 2010, 02:50 PM
Suhweet!

discette
Jul 13 2010, 03:40 PM
Online registration is now open at Discgolfunited. http://discgolfunited.com/disc-golf-tournaments/index.cfm

The dates have changed to August 14 & 15 so the event will not conflict with the Wrightwood Classic Car show.

Entry form should be posted at So Cal website soon. Send a PM with your email address if you need the entry form right away.

rizbee
Jul 15 2010, 05:16 PM
Thank you Suzette!!!!!!!!

grizzly09
Jul 21 2010, 04:02 PM
I sent in my entry form yesterday!

All thanks to my sponsor, Silly Smells! Check 'em out at www.sillysmells.com

:D

jeffnichols
Aug 02 2010, 11:39 AM
Wow! I leave town for 10 days and this thing already filled. Is there a waiting list?
Is it one round a day? If so, it would set up nice for tee times instead of a shotgun start. That way more players could participate and still have plenty of daylight to finish.

This tourney is one of my favorites. It's my fault for not signing up early.

adaZm
Aug 02 2010, 12:02 PM
tee times and more players is an OUTSTANDING idea. especially since the roster somehow became dominated by rec players and advanced masters :)
that said, i understand it would be an even more monumental undertaking for a TD team that is already stretched thin. especially given the tourney is in a mere two weeks!!!
perhaps when we can get a more local TD arrangement they can GO BIG and create a huge tourney for one of SOCALs premiere courses. next year. or late september maybe :)
will def miss you at the tournament jeFF. i suppose caddying for carL is out of the question :)?

grizzly09
Aug 03 2010, 05:34 PM
Quick question: What's the website where we can reserve campgrounds?

Thanks.

JonnyHyzer
Aug 03 2010, 09:25 PM
Quick question: What's the website where we can reserve campgrounds?

Thanks.

www.recreation.gov

search for Table Mountain Campground in Wrightwood CA.

csrenda79
Aug 09 2010, 07:49 AM
i suppose caddying for carL is out of the question :)?

I'm sure we could work something out...

discette
Aug 11 2010, 01:54 PM
The Sky High DGC will be open for practice on Thursday, August 12 from 3:00pm to 8:00pm and on Friday, August 13 from Noon to 8:00pm. Players without season passes will need to pay to play. Please stop by the lodge/pro shop to pay and sign releases.