StevenDodge
Jun 08 2010, 11:38 AM
Our first Durability Testing video is up on YouTube. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlv5HlAfUx0

Breeze
Jun 08 2010, 10:51 PM
Let me start by saying I love Vibram. Every chance I get I show off my VP to people I do. Its just cause the material is so **** cool..

That being said.

None of the other disc in the video were in a premium plastic.

If you throw a S Wizard or a DX Avair into a wall its gonna warp. Anyone that is a member of this forum can tell you that. You just wasted your $$ and good disc in the process. FAIL!

I would be willing to bet you that if you take a HPP Wizard (premium disc) that it would hold up to the same test and its a cheaper than any Vibram disc on the market.

Do the same test, but make it apples to apples then do flight test to show stability after and I will give you some more credit for this kind of test.

I am kinda disappointed.

DX Avair = $8
S Wizard = $8
X-Link = $20

-Chris Adams

StevenDodge
Jun 09 2010, 08:27 AM
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the feedback (and for using and showing off your VP - do you use it to drive, approach and/or putt?) I am putting together another durability demo, more on the details of that later. But first, the reason I tested against baseline plastics:

1. They have comparable grip to the rubber based X-Link material.
2. They are the most popular discs for putt and approach shots (probably because more durable plastics lack the grip of baseline plastics).
3. To show that there is more to value than price. Going through 4+ baseline plastic discs is going to cost you more money (and more strokes since they will be less reliable right before you replace them).
4. To demonstrate that the rubber based X-Link is worth looking at due to its durability AND grip.

Regarding the premium plastic test, someone on the YouTube page requested the same thing and someone else requested a skip test on a road to see bead wear. I put these two together and threw an X-Link, and ESP, a Champion and a Star disc into a road and then skipped them into a wall - 20 times each. No significant damage on any of the discs, although the ESP, Champion and Star have more knicks and scuffs than the X-Link. I hope to get this video up before I leave for the High Plains Challenge (a Vibram Open Qualifier) in Colorado.

----------

On a side note, I will be giving some Vibram Putter Clinics on Saturday the 12th. In the AM at Phenix Disc Sports and in the PM at The Wright Life. If you are in the area, come on by and help us chuck some of these into some walls, and come feel the beautiful grip of X-Link.

Breeze
Jun 09 2010, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the reply. I use the VP for driving. I very much appreciate what Vibram is doing for disc golf and wish that the PDGA was more ready for Vibram. :) Maybe a discussion for a different time.

I would argue that grip is a matter of opinion, but then again I can argue with that brick wall that you have in the video. :)

Thanks for all you do
-Chris Adams

veganray
Jun 09 2010, 09:56 AM
wish that the PDGA was more ready for Vibram.

????? :confused:

Do elaborate.

StevenDodge
Jun 10 2010, 09:48 AM
Not sure I understand that comment either. The PDGA has been excited that Vibram is a part of the disc golf world.

Breeze
Jun 11 2010, 06:59 PM
Not sure I understand that comment either. The PDGA has been excited that Vibram is a part of the disc golf world.

I was told that at some point money from Vibram had been turned down, or that Vibram was capped at an amount money that could be paid at their event out by the PDGA due to the fact that the PDGA did not want to have a event with a larger purse than worlds.

Or something to that fact.

Maybe that was just a hearsay. :)

StevenDodge
Jun 15 2010, 10:28 AM
I was told that at some point money from Vibram had been turned down, or that Vibram was capped at an amount money that could be paid at their event out by the PDGA due to the fact that the PDGA did not want to have a event with a larger purse than worlds.

Or something to that fact.

Maybe that was just a hearsay. :)

That was definitely hearsay. I have never been asked to limit the Vibram Open payout (by the PDGA or anyone else). I am happy that we are going to reach the $50,000 mark this year, but it is still $25,000 shy of the Pro Worlds payout.

Here is this year's payout: http://www.maplehillopen.com/players.html#payout

veganray
Jun 15 2010, 11:31 AM
I hereby officially ask Mr. Dodge to limit the Vibram Open payout to <$1,000,000 (not including ancillary events).

StevenDodge
Jun 16 2010, 09:22 AM
I hereby officially ask Mr. Dodge to limit the Vibram Open payout to <$1,000,000 (not including ancillary events).

I will not commit to that. :-D